Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 01:17 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,456,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
No.

It can be.

I guess I'm lucky in that the houses that I've wanted I always paid less than the asking price. I don't believe in paying more or bid wars. Just not my style.
Yes, I agree with your sentiments. I think bidding wars create panic and hysteria. No way to make a logical decision.

My grandfather once said "Never be desperate-- its a house, not a marriage proposal. Save your desperation for your marriage ."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 01:46 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Yes, I agree with your sentiments. I think bidding wars create panic and hysteria. No way to make a logical decision.

My grandfather once said "Never be desperate-- its a house, not a marriage proposal. Save your desperation for your marriage ."
haha, I like that

I admit that we were definitely emotionally attached to our current house...but to an extent. Our mantra was that there are always other fish in the sea, even if not at that time.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:46 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Would you ever offer above asking price on a property?

Is this sort of offer common in your area?

If that's the absolute only way to get it yeah. But there would have to be some unfathomable reasons to do so.

Yes right now offers ivervasking is very common.

I bought before it was common, if that was the case I wouldn't if bought. I would if just stayed in my former house.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:12 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
No.

It can be.

I guess I'm lucky in that the houses that I've wanted I always paid less than the asking price. I don't believe in paying more or bid wars. Just not my style.
It depends on where you live, as to the time on market it takes to sell a home, and the local housing demand as to the price you will pay to buy a home.

In some areas, you can expect the winning offer to be less than the asking price. This simply means, the supply of homes for sale, exceeds the potential demand for homes, with only enough buyers to buy about half the homes on the market.

In some areas, the supply of homes for sale, is far below the demand for homes. The selling price will be above asking price in all situations unless the home is priced completely out of reason. Often a seller or agent will price the property say $10,000 below the potential sale price, and this will trigger a bidding war, and get to where it almost like an auction.

It might not be your style to pay more than the asking price, or get into a bidding war if you want the property, but if you want to buy a home, you are going to have to get in a bidding war in certain very hot markets.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:52 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
I know nothing about the center of the country-- never really had many dealings in the midwest. Yes I am clueless. I was born and raised in Sweden. Why don't you tell me what you know about our real estate laws?

This is the kind of stuff I would get in my inbox:

$1 can buy a house in Detroit - NY Daily News

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...t-belt-america
Those are boarded up shacks. The town sells the home for a dollar, but then you will need to pay the back taxes owed. Not to mention their in crime ridden areas. They sit till someone does actually buy them, tear them done, rebuild something cheap to rent.

As far as real estate laws, I'm not sure exactly what you are asking in regards to that, but every state has different laws so I couldn't go into that anyway. Plus I'm not a lawyer.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:48 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,733,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Those are boarded up shacks. The town sells the home for a dollar, but then you will need to pay the back taxes owed. Not to mention their in crime ridden areas. They sit till someone does actually buy them, tear them done, rebuild something cheap to rent.

As far as real estate laws, I'm not sure exactly what you are asking in regards to that, but every state has different laws so I couldn't go into that anyway. Plus I'm not a lawyer.

They haven't sold them for a dollar in quite a while. Of the two posted articles, one is old and the other one is a narrative about a house they bought years ago.
Most are auctioned and bidding starts at $1,000. They have to pay the current year's taxes, not back taxes.

The burned out shells are usually bank owned or are owned by out of state/country owners who thought they could make easy money. Burned out city owned properties get torn down (eventually) and they usually try to sell the lot to an adjoining neighbor. Or anyone if the neighbors aren't interested.

Strangely, this popped up today. They had the highest winning bid ever. $240,100 for a house that is taken down to the studs. Abandoned house in Detroit sets record auction price | MLive.com

They auction three homes per day. This is what they have coming up: http://auctions.buildingdetroit.org/Home
Here are the recently sold houses with the sale price. Still cheap, but most need to be totally rebuilt as they will have been picked apart by scrappers. http://auctions.buildingdetroit.org/Home/SoldHouses

Old 05-19-2017, 11:45 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
I offered quite a bit below list price when I bought my house in 2010 .. but it was a totally different market .

I'm getting ready to sell the home and I'm seeing homes in my area go for quite a bit more then list .
Like others mentioned many markets now have more demand and not enough supply of homes .

Old 05-22-2017, 07:43 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
So, add you to the list of people who would prefer to overpay just because you could come in under list price on a property that is overpriced to begin with?
No, not at all. I would not overpay nor would I ever go over list price. I most certainly would do my homework in an area I might be interested in and maybe depending make an offer under list price.

This whole buying and selling is a game

Old 05-22-2017, 08:56 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
No, not at all. I would not overpay nor would I ever go over list price. I most certainly would do my homework in an area I might be interested in and maybe depending make an offer under list price.

This whole buying and selling is a game

"I would not overpay nor would I ever go over list price"

But, those are two entirely different topics. Totally unrelated.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:18 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,667 times
Yes, I've done it personally. And yes, I've recommended clients do it IF the comps support a higher number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate