Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 01:39 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,900 times

Advertisements

It doesn't hurt to look online. You're not pressured. You can figure out what location, schools, new or old home, size, features, so much to consider. I'm like you and have been looking online. I've done this for months and I've narrowed down areas, now it's finding what works best. Sometimes the floor plan is awful. Other times it's the past homeowners not caring for the property and knowing I'd have to invest heavily. There's a lot to consider.

What I do is if I find someplace I bookmark it under favorites. I can then go back and check the flood plane, the county, the taxes, and all sorts of stuff. I can also drive over and see the place, see if that street looks well kept, listen for barking dogs. The nice thing about bookmarking 'favorites' is you can check back, see if the price drops, or if it goes under contract. It gives you a feel for how the market is responding to the area you're interested in.

The best part is the house you want is out there. There are so many. Don't despair, think of this as a time to learn and make the best choice. The more you look into this the better you'll feel once you move. I know because I'm feeling that way. And if a rent home looks good you can inquire about a rent to own. That happens too. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 02:40 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klara View Post
Every day when I see some house that I like and the price that I like, I have a feeling that if we don't act immediately we will lose all chances of finding our perfect home. How to deal with this? Should I just stop looking and wait until Spring 2018? I just have a feeling that the yard like the one I just saw will not be on the market when we are ready to buy/ or the house that is perfect for us won't be on the market again.

Any advice from your own experience? Thanks.
A good realtor is your best friend. When you see a home you like call the listing agent and create a relationship. Let them know your situation, what you're looking for, and the price range. They will be more than happy to keep an eye out for the perfect property and price.

Good luck in finding your American dream.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:30 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
If you fall in love with your "Dream House" before you are ready to buy, don't dispair. When you get serious about buying, another "Dream House" will be available. Trust me. It's happened to me about 10 times.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:32 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post

What I do is if I find someplace I bookmark it under favorites. I can then go back and check the flood plane, the county, the taxes, and all sorts of stuff. I can also drive over and see the place, see if that street looks well kept, listen for barking dogs. The nice thing about bookmarking 'favorites' is you can check back, see if the price drops, or if it goes under contract. It gives you a feel for how the market is responding to the area you're interested in.

Bookmarking. That's a really good idea. I can't tell you how many times I have said, "Now where was that house I liked so much? Was it in X town or XX town? And then I have to go through everything again to find it.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:07 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
Assuming your market is warm or hot, I would keep looking for a house and pack up as much as you can where you currently live. It sounds like you are a prepared borrower already. Since you are somewhat flexible with when you can buy, and you have some time on your side. I believe between now and the spring you should be able to find something you want to purchase.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:19 AM

649 posts, read 816,721 times
I think you are confused on the pre-k issue. Most places will have private preschools that cost $ which could be called "Pre-k" and the public schools offer nothing until Kindergarten which starts at 5 and usually the kid must be 5 by a cutoff date in August to attend Kindergarten "on-time.". In many more affluent communities even if the kid makes the cutoff date to go to Kindergarten at 5, they will be held out ( more "preK") and not sent until 6. This is the norm where I live.

Some public school districts (mostly in big cities) offer a free public Pre-K to 4yo (Boston even has prek1 and prek2 which can start at 3yo).

Even if your kid is already going to preK in one town if the child does not turn 5 by the cuttoff date for Kindergarten they will be doing preK again regardless of the town. Although some towns have earlier or later cutoff dates.

So you should really verify your information before you decide now is NOT the time to move, because not starting PreK UNTIL 5 cannot be accurate.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:42 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
A good realtor is your best friend. When you see a home you like call the listing agent and create a relationship. Let them know your situation, what you're looking for, and the price range. They will be more than happy to keep an eye out for the perfect property and price.

Good luck in finding your American dream.
I forgot to mention that if you decide on a home and use the listing agent as your buying agent they'll tend to work with you on the agent percentage. The going rate is usually 3%/3% so it's normal for a single agent sale to knock 2% off. Buy a $300k home it'll save you $6k in commissions. It never hurts to make a deal.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:53 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
I forgot to mention that if you decide on a home and use the listing agent as your buying agent they'll tend to work with you on the agent percentage. The going rate is usually 3%/3% so it's normal for a single agent sale to knock 2% off. Buy a $300k home it'll save you $6k in commissions. It never hurts to make a deal.
If you use the listing agent as your buyers agent, you will not have dedicated representation for your purchase. Dual-listings transactions almost always benefit the seller because the listing agent has a fiduciary duty to get the best price possible for the seller. I wouldn't count on the listing agent dropping the percentage on their commission either - it's just better all around for a buyer to get their own agent, imho.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:35 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klara View Post
We've been pre-qualified, we have cash, home equity, solid job (not jobs), and going to pre-K is important (our child is bilingual and english is not spoken at home).

I am also concerned mortgage rates will only go up and we won't be able to afford house that we like one year from now.
I didn't speak a word of English when I started kindergarten. After a couple of weeks I was speaking English. The only reason I know this was my mother mentioned it to a friend many years later. I had no idea and didn't even know it. Both my parents were immigrants and I was born right after they got here, so no English was spoken at home during the early years. Your child will adapt quite fine. Just don't let the school talk you into a bilingual class. Immersion is the best route at that age.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:38 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
They're buying, not selling. The sellers pay the commission, not the buyers. Personally, I would never use the listing agent as my agent if I'm buying. I want someone who represents me and has no conflict of interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate