Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 07:09 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
No, the room doesn't have to be empty. The virtual staging programs can remove anything from a picture. It costs more, as it's more labor intensive, but it's worth it.
Very interesting, thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
This is really cool, but I wonder how many people will be disappointed and disillusioned when they see the actual house in person? Will it be such a negative that it sours them on the home? There was a house for sale recently here that looked amazing in pictures and I couldn't understand why it had not sold. Then we saw it in person and the place looked a lot worse in real life.
I think it depends on how it's used. I didn't pour over the photos in the example I linked and I haven't seen it in person, but it looks like all they did was add some furniture and decor items, not change the actual characteristic of the home. I'm one of those people who prefers viewing staged properties when I'm house hunting, because I don't have a good sense of sizes and have a tough time picturing how much furniture can fit in the room. Seeing a photo of a furnished room helps give some sense of proportion even if the house itself is vacant when I see it in person. Actually, that happened with my last place. It was a relo and the owners had been gone for almost a year but the listing photos were a fully furnished home. I have no idea if that was the owner's stuff or if it had been professionally staged once they moved out, but either way, it was completely empty by the time I saw it. So looking back at the photos helped me visualize my own furniture in it.

On the other hand, they had some awful paint colors and if the photos had a nice neutral instead of the horrid dark green and metallic gold sponge painted master bedroom, I would have felt like it was fraud. As it was, I knew going in, when all I had seen was the photos, that I would have to paint the whole place before moving in, and was able to take that into consideration right from the start in terms of deciding whether and how much to offer. I definitely think trying to hide flaws would backfire just like it did for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 05:21 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
False advertising just like breast implants and plastic surgery.
Wrong.
Breast implants and plastic surgery are alterations to "fixtures."
Fixtures convey.

Furniture is "personal property."
It is only negotiable, and not assumed to convey.
Virtual furniture presentation would be no different than viewing photos with existing furniture, and the seller then packing and moving out.
The real property is not impacted by the presence or absence of non-conveying personal property.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:30 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
I feel it is "cheating" because it makes the natural lighting look better than it really is. The artwork all looks back-lit. Nothing is in shadow. Also, the opening high up on the wall between the living room and kitchen might not be possible to create at a reasonable cost.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:55 AM

I appreciate that the agent shows the spaces with and without furnishings.

Something for everyone.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:43 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
This is really cool, but I wonder how many people will be disappointed and disillusioned when they see the actual house in person? Will it be such a negative that it sours them on the home? There was a house for sale recently here that looked amazing in pictures and I couldn't understand why it had not sold. Then we saw it in person and the place looked a lot worse in real life. Seems like what matters most is how a buyer feels when they walk through a house.
You're a woman after my own heart! I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets soured on a house if I walk in the front door and see the photo-shopping was overdone. That's a real pet peeve of mine.

But, FWIW I think this program has a neat feature gets around that issue. You can turn the virtual furniture on and off (and presumably the "off" option shows photos that weren't edited). In other words, you can see the rooms with it and then without, and I think that actually gives this program a lot of potential.

Advantages:

1. Sellers can move all their furniture at one (No need to leave some pieces behind to serve as staging).
2. A lot less expensive than renting staging furniture.
3. No worries that the staging furniture will be damaged or will scuff up the newly refinished hardwood floors.
4. No need to move the staging furniture back out of the house after the place sells.
5. The buyer can bring up the virtually staged image on his cell phone while touring the vacant house. This allows him to see how furniture might work in the room, yet also allows him to see any imperfections in the room that would have been hidden by real furniture.

One thing I'm curious about is how you'd prevent sellers from scaling the virtual furniture to make it appear that a 3-piece sofa would fit in a room that is actually just big enough for a love seat. Other than that, though, I think this is a great idea.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:44 AM

A question for the Realtors:

I think I'd like to have this feature on the listing for my house. How would I find a realtor that uses it? Is this something you would advertise, or just something people find out about through word of mouth?

Old 06-09-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I appreciate that the agent shows the spaces with and without furnishings.

Something for everyone.
LOL I posted the same thing below, didn't realize you had said it already. This is actually my favorite feature of the program.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
A question for the Realtors:

I think I'd like to have this feature on the listing for my house. How would I find a realtor that uses it? Is this something you would advertise, or just something people find out about through word of mouth?
VisualStager - Click - Stage - Engage | VisualStager

There is the solution used in the OP's link.

$16/photo, it appears.

And another:
http://www.realtourvision.com/virtual-home-staging.html

One more:

https://virtuallystagingproperties.c...l-staging-faq/
$$$

Old 06-09-2017, 07:59 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I'm all for this when they show it with and without the enhancements.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:01 AM

So I would just find a realtor I liked and then ask them to do this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate