Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 05:34 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,822 times

Advertisements

I have property that is adjacent to my neighbor. My house and theirs are separated by a paved easement which leads to a pair of undeveloped lots behind our homes. According to the title documents, that easement is for access to the undeveloped lots and for my neighbor to access their home as well. Our property lines split the easement down the middle. I was outside of my yard weeding recently and also re staining my fence when I noticed several piles of dog crap.

I have seen them let their two little dogs run free and crap in other places. Hell, I even watched one of the little guys crap in my front yard unleashed. But, in the spirit of being a good neighbor I thought "**** happens" (pun intended) and thought sometimes people forget.... no big deal.

Granted that easement sits on the other side of my fence so I do not see what goes on on a daily basis. However, since I am in the process of working on my fence, I have spent the last several days on the easement side. Four days of dog crap. One day I heard their door open..one of the little furry guys comes over to me...barks like I am in his territory and craps right where there is already a couple of little turds! Then one of the neighbors comes out and picks up the piles in a plastic shopping bag and I thought awesome problem solved.

While working on my fence I have already stepped in crap twice after I saw them pick up the poop! I think this is a daily occurrence or has been for the last four at least. I have noticed piles of crap in the same place over the past year while occasionally walking my property. I am pretty sure now it is not some stray but their little dogs!

I love dogs and have two beautiful girls who I care for deeply! I do not let them bark, whine or disturb my neighbors in any way if at all possible and I pick up their crap on a daily basis so as not to stink up the neighborhood with a yard full of dog crap!

So here is my question. What would you do? Technically, per the wording of the easement agreement, the easement is for the access only of the undeveloped lots and my neighbor. There is no wording about parking, signage or recreational use. The reason I bring this up is that the dog is crapping on my side of the easement. So technically the dog is crapping on my "property".

I am not looking to create a situation but honestly after the second time I stepped in it and knocked on their door to no answer I had it! I grabbed a shovel, scooped up the crap and flung it to their side of the easement. Yes, not the most mature response, but i'm thinking WTF? people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 05:43 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Separate the right to be there from the right to crap there from the right to leave their crap there.
The last is the problem. Talk to them about it.

Then remember that an "undeveloped lot" isn't a front yard.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:47 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Separate the right to be there from the right to crap there from the right to leave their crap there.
The last is the problem. Talk to them about it.

Then remember that an "undeveloped lot" isn't a front yard.
Good points....Thank You.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:56 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,900 times
Our neighbor did this with their dog. They'd let it out the front door instead of the back to do her business. They never cleaned up after it. What we did was bag up the poop and throw the bag on their driveway where they'd see it. I'm sure they'll get the message.

Another neighbor couldn't believe they wouldn't pick up after their dog. And he was a dog owner, too!

Old 06-15-2017, 12:29 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Are these piles of dog poop on the pavement?

Old 06-15-2017, 12:34 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Our neighbor did this with their dog. They'd let it out the front door instead of the back to do her business. They never cleaned up after it. What we did was bag up the poop and throw the bag on their driveway where they'd see it. I'm sure they'll get the message.

Another neighbor couldn't believe they wouldn't pick up after their dog. And he was a dog owner, too!
You did this instead of talking to them?

Old 06-15-2017, 12:57 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
The standard response will be to get an attorney and have them deal with it. As for me, I would go see the neighbor and ask him to have his dogs go on his property and to clean up any mess they might leave on your property. Just because there is an easement doesn't mean you give up all rights to that portion of your property. If that doesn't work or you neighbor is a jerk, start video recording their intrusion and deposits and go from there.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:38 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
I am not looking to create a situation but honestly after the second time I stepped in it and knocked on their door to no answer I had it! I grabbed a shovel, scooped up the crap and flung it to their side of the easement. Yes, not the most mature response, but i'm thinking WTF? people?
I don't see the problem with your response. Sling that poop! I used to deliver a shovel full to my neighbor every few days. He knew where his dog pooped but pretended otherwise. I left it just off their front porch so the missus could see and smell it when she went to work in the morning. My video cam footage of one of them standing in the doorway watching their dog go in my yard was all I needed for motivation.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:04 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Does your city have any codes regarding dogs? It seems like a blatant code violation to me.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:48 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Just don't take it out on the dog please. This is purely an issue with the owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate