Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 08:49 AM

801 posts, read 615,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4881 View Post
And why were 20 year olds making $6000 a month selling houses? These are people with hardly any experience in life and they were making that kinda money? That's just wrong because people that young shouldn't start life out that way when their isn't any education or experience to justify it.

Flash forward to 2017. How many 20 year olds have been making $6000+ a month selling real estate?
Why were they making that much? Because they were *earning* it. They saw an opportunity and took it. You're lumping together 20 year-olds by their age, despite knowing that one set was earning $6K/mo. and another set was earning $1200/mo., at most. Why?

I know probably half a dozen young people, personally, who went into real estate rather than going to college. Learning a trade IS the education and gaining of experience, which eventually earns them the pay to justify it. It has nothing to do with their age. They have the skills to earn their wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 09:23 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Then what was the "etc " you wrote after those cities referring too?
Picking out just 3 or 4 cities doesn't cover all the choices one has in this country.
Didn't say it covered the entire country thus the etc. There are places you've never heard of like Skaneateles, NY, Cazenovia, NY, Clifton Park, NY, Aiken, SC, Augusta, GA, etc. where you will find numerous $500K homes. They ARE all over the country.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:41 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4881 View Post
Flash forward to 2017. How many 20 year olds have been making $6000+ a month selling real estate? I've been noticing an over abundance of nice cars on the road the last few years too. It does appear were headed for another market crash. But this one will be worse than 2008 because the jobs these people are working are low paying, part-time jobs created the last 5 years.
This is mostly mindless babble. You present absolutely no evidence to point to an 'imminent crash' <ahem> other than jealous anecdotes.

Here's a real world update for you, soldier. There are people younger than you and I making ten times as much money per *month*, let alone per year. Who cares. It doesn't mean the world is going to end ROTFL.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:45 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
Why were they making that much? Because they were *earning* it. They saw an opportunity and took it. You're lumping together 20 year-olds by their age, despite knowing that one set was earning $6K/mo. and another set was earning $1200/mo., at most. Why?

I know probably half a dozen young people, personally, who went into real estate rather than going to college. Learning a trade IS the education and gaining of experience, which eventually earns them the pay to justify it. It has nothing to do with their age. They have the skills to earn their wage.

Precisely. FWIW, I have friends who made their money over time 'slugging away' in the hospital as doctors. Others without the pedigree opted to run with their ideas and ended up creating lucrative business opportunities over a much shorter period. <shrug> Nothing much to see here folks...

Old 10-12-2017, 10:11 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Couple of thoughts:
1) Cali at least in the best areas has been expensive for decades and it's due to having the best climate, beaches, mountains, and a strong economy.
2) Low interest rates combined with a very strong area economy has allowed the Bay Area to get very expensive. I would expect that if the economy stumbled or interest rates rise significantly, it could cause a bubble to burst there.
3) For young families, it's very tough to buy a house in the hot areas so I can understand those deciding to leave.
4) I considered locating in Cali several times and we would have probably been fine but we wouldn't have had as good of a living and house. I would have enjoyed the climate and hated the taxes and traffic.
I lived in Bay area when I was in grad school, and have a client out there. Unless you're right on the coast, or in the vineyards far away from employment centers, Bay area at least to me is as ugly as it gets. Scenery is brown, roads are congested, almost every house that's considered "normal" looks like a single wide or at best a double wide trailer, schools are sub-par, wages for every day work haven't kept up with the increase in housing costs, and petty crime is everywhere.

East bay looks exactly like Jo'burg to me, for any of you that have ever been there.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:17 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Yea but where do all the people live who are doing their nails and making their coffee?
There doesn't seem to be a shortage of people willing to work for min wages even in L.A where average apartment to rent is over $2000 now .

They live with family , a bunch of roommates or commute from a far distance where it is cheaper .

Old 10-12-2017, 10:25 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,116,660 times
It used to be that if you were willing to commute, places like Big Bear were reasonable. Not sure if that's still true or not.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:28 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
This is what a borderless country looks like when Obama said that. It means foreigners can come to the US and buy up properties using cash and run up the real estate values.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:40 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This is what a borderless country looks like when Obama said that. It means foreigners can come to the US and buy up properties using cash and run up the real estate values.
In L.A they are very active in developing property now too .

China isn't really our friend and the businessmen pretty much all seem to be hooked up with the government

Old 10-12-2017, 02:10 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Yea but where do all the people live who are doing their nails and making their coffee?
In rentals in the less desirable areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate