Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 09:42 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times

Advertisements

This morning I got an unsolicited e-mail from a realtor about a neighbor's new listing. The realtor was someone that we interviewed to sell our house in Northern VA but didn't hire.

The e-mail informed me that my neighbor was about to list her house, and then went on to give her opinion of the renovations done. Some of the comments seemed mildly catty (or at least they came across that way). Things like "the floors are mismatched." "They're asking $650,000 and I honestly hope they get it" ($650 is a relatively low price for this neighborhood; it's priced low to sell quickly).

Is this a new thing to do? To be honest, it seemed gossipy and possibly even spiteful in a thinly veiled sort of way. I've never had a realtor do this before, but then again the last time I sold a house was 15 years ago, so maybe this is a new marketing thing realtors do. Or maybe it had something to do with follow up, since she interviewed with us (and we didn't tell her that we hired someone else--were we supposed to?) By the way, if that's what this was, an email like this is NOT how to get me as your client, LOL Makes me wonder what she'll tell my neighbors about my house after it's listed.

I'm not sure how to respond, so I'm taking the chicken way out and just ignoring it. Wondering what the rest of you think of it, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 09:51 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
This morning I got an unsolicited e-mail from a realtor that we interviewed to sell our house in Northern VA. It was about my neighbors house, which is about to go on the market.

The e-mail informed me that my neighbor was about to list her house, and then went on to give her opinion of the renovations done. Some of the comments seemed mildly catty (or at least they came across that way). Things like "the floors are mismatched." "They're asking $650,000 and I honestly hope they get it" ($650 is a relatively low price for this neighborhood; it's priced low to sell quickly).

Is this a new thing to do? To be honest, it seemed gossipy and possibly even spiteful in a thinly veiled sort of way. I've never had a realtor do this before, but to be the last time I sold a house was 15 years ago, so maybe this is a new marketing thing realtors do. I didn't hire her, but I didn't tell her I wasn;t hiring her. So maybe this is a follow up of some sort? (If it is, that's NOT how to get me as your client, LOL).

I'm not sure how to respond, so I'm taking the chicken way out and just ignoring it. Wondering what the rest of you think of it, though.
I'm focusing on just the part I colored red above;
NO.

Speaking as a REALTOR, NO, this isn't some new marketing thing REALTORS, in general, do. Unfortunately, many people will see one person do something, and erroneously conclude that all members of that group act the same way. I believe this agent did her thing because SHE believes it will do something positive for her. (For the record, I'm with you on this, and can't imagine that generating anything in the way of a positive response.) It's not something I've seen before, and certainly not something I've seen taught or advocated by any teacher or affiliate of the NAR.

And I think ignoring it is in act the best way to respond. She's hoping for some sort of response, some engagement, so she can continue the conversation, potentially to list your property.
On the other hand, it might be interesting to hear her defend this marketing piece.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:19 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I would show it to her Broker and ask if that represents the agency.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:36 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
^^^^^ This and be very happy you didn't hire her

Old 02-02-2018, 12:46 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Maybe they are hoping you will list with them? Hinting they can get you more money because your house is in better shape?

I get endless postcards whenever an agent lists a house close to one of mine and again when they sell the listing. They are done in a professional manner, not like what you received.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:48 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,852 times
Am I missing something here? This story is not really clear to the possible motive. Did the neighbor also choose another agent? Is it FSBO?

Old 02-02-2018, 03:15 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
This morning I got an unsolicited e-mail from a realtor about a neighbor's new listing. The realtor was someone that we interviewed to sell our house in Northern VA but didn't hire.

Is this a new thing to do? To be honest, it seemed gossipy and possibly even spiteful in a thinly veiled sort of way. I've never had a realtor do this before, but then again the last time I sold a house was 15 years ago, so maybe this is a new marketing thing realtors do. Or maybe it had something to do with follow up, since she interviewed with us (and we didn't tell her that we hired someone else--were we supposed to?) By the way, if that's what this was, an email like this is NOT how to get me as your client, LOL Makes me wonder what she'll tell my neighbors about my house after it's listed.

#releasetheemail (redact names)

Old 02-02-2018, 03:24 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
#releasetheemail (redact names)
And, Print the email and make certain the neighbor has a copy.
Neighbor may not know what is going on.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:25 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Not sure I completely get the situation... but I think the realtor is just being chatty and familiar with you - possibly to keep a relationship going, and let you know she has good familiarity with what's happening in your neighborhood... I dunno.

But no... I can't say it's a *thing* other than, somewhat regular friendly contact with people in our database is part of our thing.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:30 PM

1,078 posts, read 938,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Yes. That sounds super unprofessional. If one is sending an email to solicit interest it should be done with comportment and class, at the very least. This sounds like borderline retribution. Odd!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate