Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 02:14 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If you are paying 6%, get a guardian...
"All real estate is local."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 08:16 PM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
"All real estate is local."
Guardians usually are, too.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:17 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I agree.

But, 6% is 6%... EARN IT! I require any realtor listing my property under a contract, to automatically assume, that if a nearby comp has an open house, you drop whatever you're doing and put an open house sign on my property too.

And NO EXCUSES! 6% is 6%. Earn it bud!
Why?

Old 03-14-2018, 08:52 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Here's one - I'm listing one of my rental houses today which is vacant and newly renovated. May as well be a flip. I will not be doing any open houses on my own house.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:50 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBosch View Post
As a homeowner selling their house, is it a good idea to have a Broker Open House as well as a Public Open House? Is it better to have the Broker open house before or after the general public one? Or do we really need any open house at all? NY suburbs area.
Both. Real estate agent first then public open house.

It's unlikely that either will benefit you but neither will hurt and either may help.

I really like my Realtor. I figure letting her host an open house offers her an opportunity to develop new clients, and at the outside one may be interested in my house.

Please, people, respect your Realtor. He or she has to make a living. Let your Realtor have a shot at developing new business. At the outside you may benefit.

I'm a landlord. My for sale houses are empty and I'm 600 miles away. I could care. Even if you are living in your house, just go to a coffee shop or library for a few hours.

Treat your Realtor well and your Realtor will treat you well. That's the rules of the game.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:13 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,665 times
I'm not in your market, but if you are unsure whether an open house will benefit you, you can start without one but plan on having one in a week or two if you don't get any good offers before then. We put our house on the market early in the week and scheduled an open house for the following weekend. We got a couple offers within a couple days and accepted one by the end of the week so we cancelled our open house. If we had not received any good offers that first week, I would have been glad to have an open house to bring in more potential buyers.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:58 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
I don't get it. The decision should be whether it will harm you. If it won't harm you then why not have an open house? You're not the one sitting there and handing out brochures.

I value my Realtor. She and I have done maybe almost 2 dozen deals together (rentals + sales) and she is the best! I feel that having an open house won't hurt me, might help me, and might help my Realtor gain some new clients. I feel that I owe her that for the great service she has proved me over many deals.

Maybe you want to treat your Realtor like a bridge that you burn once you don't need it any more. I have reached the end point of my landlord business and our final deal will be disposing of my last property.

I am grateful to have had the experience of working with one of the best Realtors in my geographic area. If I could help her drum up a few new clients I would be happy for her.

What I don't understand is why anybody thinks an open house is a NEGATIVE. At the very worst it's a zero, and it's not your time sitting in the house and meeting potential buyers.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:20 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If you are paying 6%, get a guardian...
In 7 or more real estate sales I've never been able to negotiate anything less than the going rate. And yes, I've tried. Real estate license, Mike? Different story.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:22 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Why?

I don't hand out wads of $100 bills to "need dough" hippies standing on a street corner. Do you?

Old 03-31-2018, 08:28 PM

43,296 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
In 7 or more real estate sales I've never been able to negotiate anything less than the going rate. And yes, I've tried. Real estate license, Mike? Different story.
How is the search for a guardian going?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate