Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 11:02 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
Thanks for giving me anxiety! I’ll just go smoke some weed and stay in my little bubble.
To give you some scope. Home loans in 2006 were 2 trillion dollars. And the same ratio of sub prime.

Put the pipe down. Everyone uses edibles anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 12:50 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,899,749 times
Not likely in desirable coastal enclaves. Looking at RE sites the last couple of years our little cottage regularly goes up $20-50k / mo. Not likely to maintain that appreciation but seems likely to at least hold steady with newly strict loaning protocols. Economy here is strong and if not exactly paying all the bills for everyone it still provides high salary employment for those with the skills.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:25 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,581 times
It's a little insane where I live.

I bought a 1-bedroom condo on the 4th floor at the bottom of the crash 6 years ago for $123,000. Now someone managed to sell a 2-bedroom condo on the 1st floor in the same building looking at the radio tower and parking lot for $255,000.

OK, she painted the walls. That's about it. Yup, time for a price correction.

Old 05-18-2018, 04:50 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Anyone have the feeling that we're back in 2007 territory again with housing inventory, rising prices and easy mortgages?

This article says we might be: https://www.nationalmortgagenews.com...-is-in-trouble

Last year, I bought a lovely home in a good area, and I had to outbid two other buyers to get it. I'm told that this year, the market is even hotter, and that houses are being sold within hours of being listed.

I've got a couple friends that are Realtors, and they're telling me that the market is super-heated right now with no sign of cooling off.

Have we come to the end of another real estate cycle? Are prices going to drop off a cliff soon?
Is there going to be a crash? Yeah eventually. When? Who knows. I dont think it will be as bad as the last one unless people go out of control borrowing against their houses and the lending standards relax and they get rid of the Dodd Frank act. You’ll just have a bunch of hedge funds buying up houses all over the country and decreasing houses available for sale.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:15 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
It's a little insane where I live.

I bought a 1-bedroom condo on the 4th floor at the bottom of the crash 6 years ago for $123,000. Now someone managed to sell a 2-bedroom condo on the 1st floor in the same building looking at the radio tower and parking lot for $255,000.

OK, she painted the walls. That's about it. Yup, time for a price correction.
If you bought at the bottom of the crash and are in a desirable area why would you not think the housing market has corrected itself?

You also can't compare a 2/1 to a 1/1

Old 05-18-2018, 06:57 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
I'm not one to say "This time is different." But it is really important to realize what is driving this surge as opposed to the last one. What was driving the last spike in prices was speculation based on easy credit.

Meanwhile, what is driving this spike in prices is lack of inventory.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:59 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I'm not one to say "This time is different." But it is really important to realize what is driving this surge as opposed to the last one. What was driving the last spike in prices was speculation based on easy credit.

Meanwhile, what is driving this spike in prices is lack of inventory.
What burst that mess was the MBS debacle.
Some say we are seeing rise of MBS markets again. The question is whether too much rotten paper is being mingled with good paper and misrepresented to investors.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:03 AM

801 posts, read 615,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
However, there is a HUGE auto loan bubble with $345 billion worth of subprime loans in this country right now. Total auto loans are $1.1 trillion nationwide and the delinquency rate is at an all time high. That's scary.
Well, if the government stopped raising standards of minimum function for automobiles, there would be less debt. It's almost impossible to get an older vehicle to pass inspection anymore and they're starting to require inspectors to plug in the coding machine instead of letting mechanics determine roadworthiness. Nice going, Auto-Manufacturing Lobbyists. At a time when mandatory expenses are at an all-time high, throw a car payment in there!

Old 05-18-2018, 07:09 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What burst that mess was the MBS debacle.
Some say we are seeing rise of MBS markets again. The question is whether too much rotten paper is being mingled with good paper and misrepresented to investors.
While LBS or MBS investment activity is on the rise, there are still two differences:

1. The “garbage” loans can’t be as bad, due to tougher underwriting.

2. The Credit Default Swap instrument isn’t there.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:39 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
While LBS or MBS investment activity is on the rise, there are still two differences:

1. The “garbage” loans can’t be as bad, due to tougher underwriting.

2. The Credit Default Swap instrument isn’t there.
I am more intrigued by inflationary forces than a lending/securities bubble.

If, if, iffffff….. we get into inflation big time, paying for an overpriced house with 2018 dollars and 2018 interest rates may well look pretty good in 2025.

I am not saying this as an agent to push anyone to buy. Not at all. People need to make their own decisions on their perceptions, paths and personal destinies.
I'm just conversing.

People tend to get hung up on one metric and lose perspective on the big picture.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 05-18-2018 at 08:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate