Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2018, 10:11 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,935 times

Advertisements

I know I'm going to sound like I'm making too much out of this, but there's a reason...

Have never sold a house before - this is my mother's house - closing hasn't happened yet, but we have buyers. I'm out of state. Buyers are taking the items in the house as well - whatever I leave.

My realtor, who is their friend (I found out after contracting with her), asked if the buyers could come in and measure the interior for their furniture. Honestly I find this odd. Is this something that is normally done?

The reason I don't want it done is because of the items in the house. I do not want the hassle of them spying something I intend to take home and it ending up being a problem when it's not there for them at the end. They have already agreed to the terms. I've also set up several staging areas in the house (what I must take, might take, etc) and some of those items are fragile. None are for their eyes.

I told my realtor they can come in and measure when I clear out of there in two weeks. The closing is end of October.

Iv'e consistently felt my seller's agent has a conflict given the buyers are her friends (that she did not disclose) and have been pretty vocal about that. I also know I'm totally on edge lately due to the circumstances behind all of this, so am curious about your thoughts! Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 10:19 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,381,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
My realtor, who is their friend (I found out after contracting with her), asked if the buyers could come in and measure the interior for their furniture. Honestly I find this odd. Is this something that is normally done?
I find it odd that you think this is odd.

Before I move anywhere, I typically try and go back with a tape measure and a camera to figure out the placement of my furniture for every room. It would suck to wait until moving day to find something doesn't fit right.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
I find it odd that you think this is odd.

Before I move anywhere, I typically try and go back with a tape measure and a camera to figure out the placement of my furniture for every room. It would suck to wait until moving day to find something doesn't fit right.

Really? LOL - I definitely accept that I could be irrational here. I didn't even think to do this when I bought my house, but hey maybe it's done.

I have done it after signing a lease on a rental. But I would not expect to do that prior to a closing on a home I'm purchasing.

I don't want them to do it yet, anyway, because of the issue with the items. I'm not finished deciding what I'm taking (and won't be there to do that until next week). But they can go in before the closing.

I am also DEFINITELY hypersensitive to the fact that the buyers are friends with my realtor. I don't really trust my realtor. She tried to slip her husband in as the buyer's attorney.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:25 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
I understand, OP. If you didn't have valuable items you intend to keep it'd be fine for them to measure.

...stick to your comment about them being allowed to measure after you move out...

that STILL gives them a few weeks...before closing.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:28 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,578,768 times
It’s 100% normal. I don’t see a single issue with allowing them to come in and take measurements - I’ve seen it in almost every transaction.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I understand, OP. If you didn't have valuable items you intend to keep it'd be fine for them to measure.

...stick to your comment about them being allowed to measure after you move out...

that STILL gives them a few weeks...before closing.
Thanks GB. Yup if not for those items they are more than welcome. I mean, my mother's ashes are still there. It is just not ok yet.

Old 09-24-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingTX View Post
It’s 100% normal. I don’t see a single issue with allowing them to come in and take measurements - I’ve seen it in almost every transaction.
They can do that when I remove the items I'm taking. This is about the items. Surely they can wait until Oct. 7. The closing isn't until end of October.

They're actually not even moving in for months (something I forgot to mention in my first post)

Old 09-24-2018, 11:05 AM

43,278 posts, read 77,083,054 times
Yes, visiting to take measurements is common.
And, you are accommodating them reasonably, IMO.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:06 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,739,307 times
It is normal and common for buyers to want to measure. It is completely up to you, though, to decide if it is OK and you have a right to think whatever you want. If it isn't specifically mentioned in your contract, you can say no and your agent should support you. Now, in the real world of things, it might create ill will which might also lead to other issues later but that's the chance you take.

My suggestion is that you prepare a list of everything that you are including and everything that you are excluding. Photos are a good idea, BTW. This will avoid any arguments and misunderstandings later.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:37 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,538,348 times
Just to play devil’s advocate here...I assume they had actually seen the inside the house before they made an offer? So they’ve already seen everything in there. That being said, if the stuff you are taking will be gone by the middle of the month, and closing isn’t until the end of the month, I would have no problem asking them to wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate