Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 09:51 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,241,258 times

Advertisements

Who says it has to be something you move into as a first home and transition out of?
Is a 3 BR 1500 sq. ft. bungalow (with a basement) too small to stay in? Really?
Never understood the implied expectation for an eventual "upgrade."
Just always wondered......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 11:22 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,530,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Who says it has to be something you move into as a first home and transition out of?
Usually needs change. A young married couple may not need a large house and may not be at the financial stability that will allow a nicer home in a good area, with good schools. After 3 kids, and maybe an elderly parent moving in the may need more rm, or due to health may need a single story instead of a 2 story. Or may relicate due to job.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:31 PM

93 posts, read 66,409 times
I agree with the generally view that I think is behind your question. So why do people move? Clearly it's often timed around future children plans or current children approaching school age. Often it's not just for a bigger house but a perceived better school system or perceived more child friendly neighborhood or perceived safer town. Also many parents may perceive that then have different needs - attached garage, maybe more open plan, very often want a bigger yard, etc. etc.

I think a lot of it is also about society conditioning around what a family home is supposed to be and a desire to have achieved what they see as a "real" house by the time kids come and/or around 30 or so.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:46 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,506,791 times
I’ll tell you why. The starter neighborhood was just ok, too many rentals, and the schools were meh. But that’s what we could afford. Flash forward ten years we made quite a bit more money and leveled up the neighborhood. As for the house itself we came to want more things out of our home and land bigger lot, pool, and trees. House had to have character too. So we moved. No regrets, better all the way around.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:06 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,786,137 times
Quote:
It can be a forever home, but using the term starter home implies that the person does not intend to, or if it's marketed as such it's an entry into home ownership.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:38 AM

43,353 posts, read 77,229,425 times
Quote:
It is just a focus on size and affordability. That is all.

And, many people stay in their "starter" home for a very long time.
Some move into larger houses when they get a new job and need to relocate for commute, need space for more kids or elderly parents move in, home office, etc.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,351,757 times
It depends on your needs, priorities, and comfort, but staying forever in the first house is rare. We moved from our first home when our oldest was going to start kindergarten and we discovered that the local school was pitiful (after a visit). Then when the 3 BR 1 BA became too tight with a 3rd kid, we upgraded again to a larger house and have been in it 25 years. We plan to move again when we retire, no longer need this big house and should be able to pay cash from the equity when we go to a less expensive area. The whole idea is to use the equity and higher income over your career to be able to afford more house as your needs change. The starter house is what you can afford initially, just for 1-2 people. The only people I know that stayed in the same house close to forever was my grandparents. My grandfather built their house himself about 1905, but even he had to leave eventually at age 88 when a freeway was built and took his property.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:39 AM

6,385 posts, read 5,511,358 times
Of course a "starter" home can be a "forever" home.

My grandparents bought a 3 bedroom, 1100 sq ft ranch house in the 1950s, raised 8 kids there, and stayed until my grandpa died in 2006 and my grandma moved into a retirement community. Granted that was more the "norm" back in the day than it is now...but still

My mom and stepdad are relative newbies to a neighborhood close to the downtown of suburban Apex, NC. They moved there in 2010, neighborhood built in the early/mid 90s, mostly in the 1500-2000 sq ft size range priced in the mid $200s....aka "starter homes". Most of the neighborhoods in Apex built in the past 10 years are minimum 3000 sq ft, $400k+ range. MANY of the folks in my mom's neighborhood (including them) could easily afford to "move up" to one of the bigger flashier new neighborhoods down the road....but believe it or not most everyone on their street are the original owners of their homes....been there 20+ years. It's a neighborhood where everyone knows everyone they have block parties, cookouts, walk to the town Christmas Parade together....the neighborhood kept them. There hasn't been a house go on the market there since 2017.

Obviously this is anecdotal and you're right.....the overall "narrative" for the upper-middle class you see in media and entertainment includes the couple buying the smaller starter house before kids or with small kids and then eventually moving up to the bigger, nicer, "forever" house. But that doesn't mean that many people do, based on necessity or choice, stay in the so-called "starter house" for the long-term.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:46 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,561,569 times
A home is what you make of it.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:47 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,599,633 times
Quote:

I think it's a marketing tool that suggests the home is not insanely expensive, but who cares? If you are happy there, stay, and to hell with others' "expectations."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate