Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 06:53 AM

21,937 posts, read 9,508,101 times

Advertisements

I don't see how you think it is smug to point out that the exact same house was valued in the same neighborhood with an similar location a few doors down being valued at 50% more was smug but whatever.

I was having trouble with quoting but I was also wondering if Realtors.com had any affiliation with NAR. Thanks for clearing it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 06:55 AM

The good news is (hopefully) now that the relo company owns the house, there isn't quite as much duress to sell it and I am hoping the raise the price back up or at minimum stop lowering it. My friend was over last night and was telling me the offers she had. She had a decent offer and the people backed out before she had a chance to even respond.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:12 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I don't see how you think it is smug to point out that the exact same house was valued in the same neighborhood with an similar location a few doors down being valued at 50% more was smug but whatever.

I was having trouble with quoting but I was also wondering if Realtors.com had any affiliation with NAR. Thanks for clearing it up.
I assumed he's talking about Realtors/those in the business. I would have no problem if Zillow was significantly more accurate. The accurate value is but one more component of what we do in our profession, just as "find the home" has changed significantly with the growth of the internet and use of mapping tools, photos, better and more photos, server costs to download and store all of this information, etc....

as to Realtors, Nat'l Assoc of Realtors (NAR) and Realtor.com .... the word is a trademark, indicating and individual has taken the necessary steps to become and remain a member of a nationwide trade group. All Realtors are agents/brokers, but not all brokers/agents are Realtors. The current major reason there are > 1MM Realtors is that many/most MLS systems - the databases of information that we pay to produce and maintain - require us to be a Realtor in order to be a member of that local MLS.

The NAR long ago - in the "early days" of the internet made a large mistake (IMO, and many others) and went 3rd party to create and run the website - we licensed the name out. The company we licensed to was sold to a Rupert Murdoch entity, and we renegotiated the license with many improvements, though apparently (on topic) didn't cover "accuracy an trans[arency of any Automated Valuation Model added to the website". Realtors have our own "internal" website - realtor.org - for activities related to membership, advocacy, training, etc.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:15 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I assumed he's talking about Realtors/those in the business. I would have no problem if Zillow was significantly more accurate. The accurate value is but one more component of what we do in our profession, just as "find the home" has changed significantly with the growth of the internet and use of mapping tools, photos, better and more photos, server costs to download and store all of this information, etc....

as to Realtors, Nat'l Assoc of Realtors (NAR) and Realtor.com .... the word is a trademark, indicating and individual has taken the necessary steps to become and remain a member of a nationwide trade group. All Realtors are agents/brokers, but not all brokers/agents are Realtors. The current major reason there are > 1MM Realtors is that many/most MLS systems - the databases of information that we pay to produce and maintain - require us to be a Realtor in order to be a member of that local MLS.

The NAR long ago - in the "early days" of the internet made a large mistake (IMO, and many others) and went 3rd party to create and run the website - we licensed the name out. The company we licensed to was sold to a Rupert Murdoch entity, and we renegotiated the license with many improvements, though apparently (on topic) didn't cover "accuracy an trans[arency of any Automated Valuation Model added to the website". Realtors have our own "internal" website - realtor.org - for activities related to membership, advocacy, training, etc.

I'll Say that just_because knows all that....

Old 11-14-2018, 08:52 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I'll Say as much, too.
But the poster won't care, just_because we say so.

Geeze... really? I would make a lousy bird-dog.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:17 AM

13,075 posts, read 7,515,583 times
We live in Seattle area, home for Zillow and Redfin. Zillow only show homes in this area if the RE agent posts it. The Seattle area MLS does not list the offerings. In our Seattle searches we used Zillow, Redfin, and our RE's networks. We looked at the relativeness of the found property compared to surrounding properties and like properties. Our RE provided up-to-date information on the interested property (ies).

Price is always negotiable ; Location, style, and the bedrooms/bathrooms not as much.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:22 PM

Is anyone else starting to wonder if someone WORKS for realtor.com?

Old 11-14-2018, 04:52 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
only if that someone has other prior identities that have been banned here, and seems likely to need to take their medications that have been prescribed by a mental health professional.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:31 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Good grief.... OK - now I recognize him.

Old 11-15-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Good grief.... OK - now I recognize him.
Was I right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate