Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2019, 08:24 AM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Not defensive at all, I am amused.

I've NEVER had a home sell for a lower price in my life.... and I have torn out one wall in a house opening it up. It was an older home too!!! I think it sold for over double what I paid for it.

I am happy to live with poor decisions like that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 08:26 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I can't imagine this level of outrage. Really.

And ignorance about how other choices could be...and probably are...judged just as harshly but silently, because other recognize it's a choice, not an absolute.
Something like, "enjoy your mac-n-cheese in your architecturally correct kitchen" (with a condescending tee-hee under one's breath).
It's expensive to re-do an undo. Someone upthread said to put walls back in if they were taken out, and find molding/features that had been ripped out. Easier said than done. Again only talking about older homes. So there is frustration yes. Sellers might not realize that some of the "flip or flop" design decisions might not appeal to their buyers.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:30 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Not defensive at all, I am amused.

I've NEVER had a home sell for a lower price in my life.... and I have torn out one wall in a house opening it up. It was an older home too!!! I think it sold for over double what I paid for it.

I am happy to live with poor decisions like that.
You talk a lot about the good decisions you make. Great for you.

I'm not here to compare notes on successful real estate transactions. Only to make a point which others will ignore or reject as they also feel smugly satisfied that everyone agrees with their taste. I don't fundamentally disagree with open concept. It's not what I prefer but I have lived in them. I fundamentally disagree with ruining historic houses for a trend embraced because of a TV channel. In a decade maybe others will be scratching their heads wondering why or pointing out what dated decisions were made in classic homes.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:36 AM

19,640 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"Weird how some people have to be so rude towards different styles."

If people didn't like them, there would be no market for them. It's like the remodeling craze in the 1950s where the structural integrity of many homes was lost. Those homes slowly fell apart or had a sudden and catastrophic collapse.
What 1950s craze caused houses to collapse?

Old 04-06-2019, 08:36 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Only to make a point which others will ignore or reject as they also feel smugly satisfied that everyone agrees with their taste. .
OK. No irony here.

Quote:
In a decade maybe others will be scratching their heads wondering why or pointing out what dated decisions were made in classic homes.

What % of the US housing stock do you think is "classic?"

And in that decade you will probably have owners of those homes living the way they want, happily, without judgement of others' choices.

Edited to add: I write this as someone who would say that about 1/3 of the open-concept remodels I've seen are, IMHO, poorly executed.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:44 AM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
You talk a lot about the good decisions you make. Great for you.

I'm not here to compare notes on successful real estate transactions. Only to make a point which others will ignore or reject as they also feel smugly satisfied that everyone agrees with their taste.
It's personal taste, no feels smugly (why all the negative and mean words in your posts?) about their home choices, they just like what they like. The are not "victims" of HGTV (I don't watch), or sheep following a trend, or anything else insulting.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-06-2019, 09:22 AM

127 posts, read 107,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It's personal taste, no feels smugly (why all the negative and mean words in your posts?) about their home choices, they just like what they like. The are not "victims" of HGTV (I don't watch), or sheep following a trend, or anything else insulting.
Thank you. My house would probably be laughed off this board as too small, too trendy, and too open, but it’s the house we got and are making our home in and we love it.

Old 04-06-2019, 09:28 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I think its brilliant and the only solution for open kitchen. A sink counter open to the house is FILTHY. Unless of course you don't cook and you only have a kitchen to impress people.

And this is as rude and ridiculous from the other direction. You like the raised bar top, great, you do you. But some people don't, so it's far from "the only solution" and no, my house with a flat island with a sink in it isn't filthy and it's incredibly rude for you to make that claim and pretend it's got anything to do with facts as opposed to your mean spirited and silly opinion.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:07 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Nobody has told the buyers in my market yet.
Exactly.

Article is just another piece real estate bunk aimed to get people to change it up (buy something else).

Old 04-06-2019, 11:11 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
the main photo in this blog is what I'm talking about in terms of the raised countertop that I loathe and despise. I like a flat counter, all one height

https://www.rtastudio.com/2017/10/ki...rchitect-ohio/

I can understand why some might like that type of arrangement, but I'm with you. I prefer a flat counter at one height. It's a cleaner, smoother look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate