Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2019, 04:51 PM

42 posts, read 17,868 times

Advertisements

We have never lived in an "open concept" as we have a traditional brownstone. We did move one wall years ago to make a walk in closet in the master. Closet spaces in old homes can be miniscule. But we love our "closed concept."

My sister lives in a new build open concept. She designed it five years ago and had it custom built. She called me the other day saying she was selling it. This was her "forever home" that she agonized over, each detail more precious than the last. Why on earth would she sell her dreamhouse?

Cooking smells.

We all love to cook in my family, and her maybe most of all. Her dream huge light bright open to the living room high ceilinged kitchen does nothing to abate the smell of garlic, cabbage, fish, etc. She spent umpteen dollars on the best fans and filters money can buy, but if its Indian night, you can still smell it from the front door. Over time that gets into fabrics. She has a sensitive nose, as many great cooks do, and its just too much for her. And before everyone pops off, she has a cleaning service and is meticulous so the place is not a mess or poorly maintained.

Our grandparents would often tell us the tale of when they first came to the US and lived in a single room above a butcher shop. Bed in one corner with a curtain, divan in the other, tiny table and two chairs, sink by the door, shared toilet down the hall. That is the ultimate in "open concept" and it was never a glamorous lifestyle. So give me my walls any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 05:03 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,205,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
Where do people come up with this fiction?
Are you a contractor?

Old 03-21-2019, 05:06 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
My condo was open concept, I remodeled it and made it a semi open concept, I think it works well.

Open concepts are great on smaller spaces, the larger the space, the less of the need, other factor also such as layout, even wall colors and ceiling height.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:16 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Open concept is great for HGTV shows, not so much for your average real life people.
Works awesome for my husband and myself.

I'm sure for others, different things apply.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-21-2019, 06:13 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,639,095 times
Another not-really-mentioned problem to this whole argument is how little it really matters if a house is NOT open concept anymore, because you’re not helping anything with today’s building standards. So what, you have walls, who cares? They’re not insulated, they’re not soundproofed whatsoever, they’re stuck with garbage quality hollow doors, basically you may as well have open concept if you’re going to have that. In my house, a $600K house that’s built on a small lot next to many other houses that look pretty much the same, that’s the quality you get for “contemporary” style. Open living room / kitchen / dining is the only way you can maximize the space that exists for those 3 things and as little time as I spend on that floor (2nd of 3 floors), I’m glad it’s all combined as I’m rarely in there except to throw in a frozen dinner or grab a snack and head elsewhere.

I’ve seen plenty of non-open concept houses with absolutely horrendous soundproofing and now they like to pretend you’re the crazy one for thinking it’s not optional that all interior walls need to be insulated and the garage painted. Nope, those are now “special upgrades” even though every house in the past had those things. Why even bother with a wall if it’s not insulated?! Just throw up a curtain if it’s only about privacy. I don’t care about “privacy” I care about not hearing anyone else when I’m in a bedroom or any closed room.

Old 03-22-2019, 05:05 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Walls not only muffle sounds and contain smells, they limit sight.

In fact, "sight lines" is often touted on HGTV flipping shows as the reason for removing walls.

Some people love open concept. Makes the space feel larger than dividing it up into rooms. They want to be able to see what the kids are doing while they cook dinner.

Others like separate spaces. Sorry the $600K homes don't have any soundproofing, but I can close the door to our family room and I don't hear the TV or the argument or the latest referree call.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:36 AM

42 posts, read 17,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Walls not only muffle sounds and contain smells, they limit sight.

In fact, "sight lines" is often touted on HGTV flipping shows as the reason for removing walls.

Some people love open concept. Makes the space feel larger than dividing it up into rooms. They want to be able to see what the kids are doing while they cook dinner.

Others like separate spaces. Sorry the $600K homes don't have any soundproofing, but I can close the door to our family room and I don't hear the TV or the argument or the latest referree call.
Sight lines are great if all of your furniture and colors gel well. And on HGTV that is sort of the whole idea. It also photographs very nicely in pictures when you decide you want to sell. But if you are decorating challenged and can't afford a professional, or if you love color and want a lot of different colors in separate spaces, open concept might not be for you.

Our weekend place is open concept. Its on a lake. Its rustic. Its designed for relaxing for short periods of time. That works. I think it really depends on your lifestyle and what the house is for. It kills me when I see a grand old dame Victorian with its puzzle box rooms being made "open concept." Like I want to go shake the people doing it. Those houses were never designed for that. Its putting a square peg in a round hole.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:33 AM

801 posts, read 615,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Another not-really-mentioned problem to this whole argument is how little it really matters if a house is NOT open concept anymore, because you’re not helping anything with today’s building standards. So what, you have walls, who cares? They’re not insulated, they’re not soundproofed whatsoever, they’re stuck with garbage quality hollow doors, basically you may as well have open concept if you’re going to have that. In my house, a $600K house that’s built on a small lot next to many other houses that look pretty much the same, that’s the quality you get for “contemporary” style. Open living room / kitchen / dining is the only way you can maximize the space that exists for those 3 things and as little time as I spend on that floor (2nd of 3 floors), I’m glad it’s all combined as I’m rarely in there except to throw in a frozen dinner or grab a snack and head elsewhere.

I’ve seen plenty of non-open concept houses with absolutely horrendous soundproofing and now they like to pretend you’re the crazy one for thinking it’s not optional that all interior walls need to be insulated and the garage painted. Nope, those are now “special upgrades” even though every house in the past had those things. Why even bother with a wall if it’s not insulated?! Just throw up a curtain if it’s only about privacy. I don’t care about “privacy” I care about not hearing anyone else when I’m in a bedroom or any closed room.
I don't need interior walls to be insulated and soundproof; I need to not have an echo for normal conversation. I need something to take the edge and sting off the voice of someone who's REALLY excited or upset in another room. The tinging of a beautiful piano player's notes is less harsh when it isn't assaulting you from a tall room with at least 280 linear feet of right angles HURLING it into my ears as I make dinner.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:38 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
Where do people come up with this fiction?
Same place open concept comes from. A butthole.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:41 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know it's not polite to point out typos, but this one was really funny.
What was my typo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate