Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2019, 11:43 AM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times

Advertisements

There is some furniture that is fine sitting out in the middle of the room, but there is some furniture that needs a wall to go against. China hutches and book cases don't normally sit out in the middle of the room. Display cases and side tables look more at home against a wall.

Looking at the open floor plans, it is obvious that there is none of that sort of furniture. For those who don't need china hutches, dressers for their clothing, or a TV, there is no need for walls. If a family doesn't own any art work, maybe they don't need walls.

One thing that surprised me about my new house, and I didn't think to look for it before buying, is that there are almost no usable corners. My son owns a smallish corner display unit. He moved furniture into the house and then came out of his room and told me that there was no place to put the cabinet because there are no corners.

No way. The rooms are rectangular, so there are corners... but there are no corners for the display cabinet. Corners are made unsuitable for furniture by windows, or closets, or a wall length stone fireplace. This is throughout the entire house.

At least I have some walls to put my desk against, the head of the bed against, and a wall to hang the TV on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 11:46 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
What was my typo?
Chickens coming home to roast (cook) as opposed to coming home to roost.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-22-2019, 11:49 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Same place open concept comes from. A butthole.
Gee, how nice. People who have a different opinion from you get that opinion from a butthole.

I'll be sure to give your opinions the same respect you exhibit to others.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:58 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Thank you for this topic, OP. Like you, I HATE open-concept homes or apartments! The kitchen inevitably gets relegated to a small "station" in the corner, often with too little counter space to do any real cooking prep. Plus, you're on view to the guests, and accessible to them for chatting, which I think is one of the ideas behind it, so you have all that distraction to deal with, as you juggle pots and pans of food on the stove, risking burning something while distracted by guests. And what if you want to hire a caterer for a big group? Who wants to watch the caterer doing her work, and why would s/he want to be on display?

This idea, I think, began in Europe, where the apartments are so small, the corner kitchen-station and living/dining combo room was devised as a space-saving adaptation. American developers adopted it, even in spacious homes, because that design is much cheaper to build, so I suppose it makes homes more affordable in high COL areas, but ultimately, what it does is enable a greater profit margin for the architects or developers.

IMO it's cheap cr@p, pardon my French, but it's a rip-off. It's a con game that the public seems to have gone in for enthusiastically, though I'm not seeing that too much. What I see, is people putting up with it, because there are few alternatives on the market, since even the homes with nice, separate dining rooms and kitchen areas with a breakfast area, have been converted to the barn-style design. It's great if you don't mind living in a barn.

From this perspective, the real luxury is having a dedicated, separate dining room, and a separate kitchen with breakfast table, for informal meals, or for the kids to snack at and entertain friends, etc. People who can afford it, will buy homes that offer those amenities.

/rant.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:52 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Gee, how nice. People who have a different opinion from you get that opinion from a butthole.

I'll be sure to give your opinions the same respect you exhibit to others.
Say it with me hon, SARCASM... Jesus.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:56 PM

356 posts, read 176,072 times
Quote:
Same place open concept comes from. A butthole.
Ohhh, so cute!

Old 03-22-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Say it with me hon, SARCASM... Jesus.
Lord's name in vain, tsk tsk.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:30 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
In Asia, open concept homes have always been common because there were no concept of a specific dining, cooking, living quarters. So you go to some Asian countries, the home is this huge long corridor and everyone is sitting in the front watching TV and you could see the end of the home upon entry. There are partitions they put or furniture used to block things but that's how many homes in Japan and China have been. Only bedrooms are located elsewhere usually upstairs or on the side rooms.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thank you for this topic, OP. Like you, I HATE open-concept homes or apartments! The kitchen inevitably gets relegated to a small "station" in the corner, often with too little counter space to do any real cooking prep. Plus, you're on view to the guests, and accessible to them for chatting, which I think is one of the ideas behind it, so you have all that distraction to deal with, as you juggle pots and pans of food on the stove, risking burning something while distracted by guests. And what if you want to hire a caterer for a big group? Who wants to watch the caterer doing her work, and why would s/he want to be on display?

This idea, I think, began in Europe, where the apartments are so small, the corner kitchen-station and living/dining combo room was devised as a space-saving adaptation. American developers adopted it, even in spacious homes, because that design is much cheaper to build, so I suppose it makes homes more affordable in high COL areas, but ultimately, what it does is enable a greater profit margin for the architects or developers.

IMO it's cheap cr@p, pardon my French, but it's a rip-off. It's a con game that the public seems to have gone in for enthusiastically, though I'm not seeing that too much. What I see, is people putting up with it, because there are few alternatives on the market, since even the homes with nice, separate dining rooms and kitchen areas with a breakfast area, have been converted to the barn-style design. It's great if you don't mind living in a barn.

From this perspective, the real luxury is having a dedicated, separate dining room, and a separate kitchen with breakfast table, for informal meals, or for the kids to snack at and entertain friends, etc. People who can afford it, will buy homes that offer those amenities.

/rant.
so many biased assumptions and anecdotes in one post. amazing.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:05 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
so many biased assumptions and anecdotes in one post. amazing.
You betcha!

You sound like you've never heard or read a rant before.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate