Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2019, 07:32 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
People will do whatever they want, that's true. But I don't have to agree with their choices. Personally, as the owner of several antique houses and a real estate investor who havs restored many an old home, I don't agree that it's a good thing to "open concept' an old house because it's the current HGTV trend. You can't replace original features. If people don't like old houses then perhaps they should rethink living in US major urban centers where the housing stock is old. It goes with the territory. That's why historic districts exist in many cities.. so people don't tear down gorgeous old buildings because of some passing fetish for all guests being able to watch one cook.
Yes, they will do whatever they want. And they don’t need to rethink where they want to live either. People can live wherever they’d like and renovate however they’d like. You don’t have to like it. I don’t have to like it. It’s not our property, it’s theirs and as such they can blow away all the original features they want.

Ownership: always > other people’s opinions.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 03-26-2019 at 07:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 07:40 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
It's easier and cheaper to demo walls than it is to replace them. And you cannot replace 200 year old plaster. Or hand planed woodwork that was tossed in the dumpster. Unless you have deep pockets.

I hope historical districts start to regulate interiors as well as exteriors. Too many houses have been completely ruined by recent trends.
Regulation of interiors will never happen. Nor should it. If you can’t afford to buy and restore an updated home to its original condition and that’s a deal breaker for you, then don’t buy one.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:10 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
I'm all for saving truly historic things. And there are some gorgeous older homes that I hate to see gutted around here.

BUT there are also a ton of old homes that don't really meet that criteria of being untouchable simply because they have been around a long time. And a lot of homes out there from the 40s and 50s were already remodeled once or twice. The 1949 home we are getting was remodeled once in the 80s (this home needed it bad from the pics I've seen. It was old...but that was about all it had going for it) and again around 2000 and then again in 2011 from what we know from the current owners and what they knew from the previous owners. It's not like this home has (or ever originally had) had any super architectural features. It was a well built (foundation etc.) budget home in a then-cheap area that has been modified by owners to fit their use over 70 years. I see nothing wrong with that.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:14 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
So in a few decades the 1980s mcmansion interiors will be protected? Cool!
Aren't many of those open concept?

Old 03-26-2019, 08:32 PM

356 posts, read 176,034 times
Quote:
I wouldn't know.
I'm considering the point missed.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:40 PM

356 posts, read 176,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Regulation of interiors will never happen. Nor should it. If you can’t afford to buy and restore an updated home to its original condition and that’s a deal breaker for you, then don’t buy one.
What, you don't want to deputize an army of inspectors to judge the interior of hundreds of thousands of homes?

Old 03-26-2019, 08:50 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
I'll give you that many 90s Mcmansions were built with the kitchen open to the living room to varying degrees...but they still mostly had formal living rooms, formal dining rooms, traditional architecture etc. which is not really in line with open floor plans. PLus, the 80s & 90s mcmansions were some of the worst from a design and finishes standpoint in my personal opinion. Drastic shift to less craftsmanship and poorer quality materials while still trying to maintain some sense of grandeur. It's a very bad combination - hence why they get ragged on so much.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:53 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
I wouldn't know.
I'm considering the point missed.
Truly you did miss it

Open concept belongs in modern architecture. If people like it great. I don't care. My objection is to those who destroy beautiful old homes to get "sightlines"' and a kitchen island near the sofa. It just doesn't belong. There's plenty of choices for both camps without razing historic houses.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:00 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I did a thread on this years ago and now the chickens are coming home to roast. I've always HATED open concept homes!
I like it. Even before it was a thing.

Back when I was a kid, I really liked Tom Hank's apartment in Big...it was just one big huge room full of natural light.

I imagined creating the idea of rooms by furniture arrangement denoting purpose of space rather than blocking walls.

Also like Castle's apartment in the show.

Maybe I am claustrophobic or something, but I really prefer a long line of sight.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:08 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Truly you did miss it

Open concept belongs in modern architecture. If people like it great. I don't care. My objection is to those who destroy beautiful old homes to get "sightlines"' and a kitchen island near the sofa. It just doesn't belong. There's plenty of choices for both camps without razing historic houses.
I've wanted to rep your last half dozen posts but CD won't let me - so here you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
I'll give you that many 90s Mcmansions were built with the kitchen open to the living room to varying degrees...but they still mostly had formal living rooms, formal dining rooms, traditional architecture etc. which is not really in line with open floor plans. PLus, the 80s & 90s mcmansions were some of the worst from a design and finishes standpoint in my personal opinion. Drastic shift to less craftsmanship and poorer quality materials while still trying to maintain some sense of grandeur. It's a very bad combination - hence why they get ragged on so much.
Same thing in my area - quality is horrible from that era unless you bought super high end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
It has happened and it should in some cases. I was just told of owners that were given a cease and desist on interior renovations in my own state. Unfortunately it was too late for most of the house.

I've also seen way too many houses that have had renovations started but then the owner runs out of money or knowledge and they put the now-gutted house on the market, nearly always for more money because, you know, they did SOOOOO much work to it.

I have no issue telling people that I have zero interest in their new windows, exposed beams and missing 250 year old paneling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate