Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 03:19 PM

786 posts, read 3,925,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
- First house: nobody allowed inside unless shoes are removed. Agent very obviously annoyed when we say no thanks, we won't come in. (I'm not walking around in thin nylons socks on tile/stone floors for anybody. It's cold. That's why I'm wearing warm shoes).
Maybe you should bring slippers next time. I think it is common courtesy to remove your shoes before entering a home someone probably just spent hours cleaning. I always offer when seeing a prospective home. A+ to the agent for following the seller's wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 04:14 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
Maybe you should bring slippers next time. I think it is common courtesy to remove your shoes before entering a home someone probably just spent hours cleaning. I always offer when seeing a prospective home. A+ to the agent for following the seller's wishes.
In my area, it is common courtesy to invite people into your home without asking them to remove their shoes. Demanding that people remove their shoes is considered rude and elitist. There's no point in debating this subject here as it's already been raging for some time on the "house" forum with people taking sides just as vehemently as they do in political arguments.

The seller has a perfect right to do whatever they wish, but in this area, it's gonna be a long hard slog for both the seller and the agent to sell that house (out in the middle of the boondocks) if they persist in refusing to show those oh-so-precious floors to all us normal folk out here that don't carry slippers around with us.

But, the point of this thread is not about floors. It's about the fact that the agent, rather than demonstrate understanding, just got irritated. But, we had a feeling he was just as irritated with the seller, because afterwards he tried to urge us to come inside anyway (feeling an opportunity slipping away?) but it was an uncomfortable situation, so we just thanked him and left. Too bad, because they've already had to lower their price a few times and it looked really nice from the outside, but now we'll never know, and there are only a couple thousand others on the market

When in Rome......
P.S. I sold a home last year and know precisely how much work it is to endlessly clean and pickup for showings and open houses. I had white tile floors in kitchen and bath, some hardwoods, and a white bedroom carpet and never, ever asked anyone to remove shoes. It didn't kill me and I sold the house!

Last edited by Boomerang; 05-04-2008 at 04:37 PM..

Old 05-04-2008, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
In my area, it is common courtesy to invite people into your home without asking them to remove their shoes. Demanding that people remove their shoes is considered rude and elitist.
Wow do you honestly believe that? Rude? Elitist? Nationally, it is not uncommon for people to live in a shoe-free home. I mean why make houses with mud rooms then?

Old 05-05-2008, 01:10 AM

161 posts, read 474,412 times
'Evergreen,' I hear ya! Same thing for us - we're relocating to US from London, UK, & have had SUCH a struggle to find a house! Mass. was worst - over 24 hrs notice needed, houses a mess, arrogant attitude of sellers etc - Texas a bit better, good realtor there, but still so totally unlike the UK attitude! in TX we still found sellers unwilling to drop any more than about 2% even tho we are cash buyers, and still a pretty arrogant attitude. In UK, you show your house at an hour's notice - and for a cash buyer with no chain, you drop at least 10%.

The whole thing has left me with no sympathy whatsoever for the US seller - it is no surprise at all to me that so few actually sell. Only when they come down off their arrogant perches and face the fact that America is no different to anywhere else when it comes to selling homes, will things get better.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:12 AM

161 posts, read 474,412 times
Y'know, Boomerang, there are some parts of this world (and thank God I spend at least some time in one of them!) where 'elitist' is actually a term of praise!

Old 05-05-2008, 04:35 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,921 times
Rather than continuing to hijack this thread to off-topic subjects, see the lengthy "shoe" discussion in the House forum. Plenty to argue about there

Old 05-05-2008, 05:08 AM

200 posts, read 561,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyalta View Post
'Evergreen,' I hear ya! Same thing for us - we're relocating to US from London, UK, & have had SUCH a struggle to find a house! Mass. was worst - over 24 hrs notice needed, houses a mess, arrogant attitude of sellers etc - Texas a bit better, good realtor there, but still so totally unlike the UK attitude! in TX we still found sellers unwilling to drop any more than about 2% even tho we are cash buyers, and still a pretty arrogant attitude. In UK, you show your house at an hour's notice - and for a cash buyer with no chain, you drop at least 10%.

The whole thing has left me with no sympathy whatsoever for the US seller - it is no surprise at all to me that so few actually sell. Only when they come down off their arrogant perches and face the fact that America is no different to anywhere else when it comes to selling homes, will things get better.
Perhaps I am weary from the four open houses I held for my sellers this weekend so please add some clarity. If the sellers here were more like those in the UK, we would be OK people? If a seller does not have to sell quickly, is priced correctly, and not concerned re inspections or appraisals, they should automatically reduce their price by 10% for cash....cause you have it? So cash still remains different when in the required transaction form of a certified check from the certified check the buyer's lender provides? It is OK to be an elitist if you associate with or are actually one? AND Americans are arrogant? Any help you can provide would be deeply appreciated. Anxiously await the posts decribing your efforts to "fit in" once you find a home and neigborhood. It should be a "hoot" Oh, by the way that is not an elitist word.........

Old 05-05-2008, 06:13 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCNYISHOME View Post
Perhaps I am weary from the four open houses I held for my sellers this weekend so please add some clarity. If the sellers here were more like those in the UK, we would be OK people? If a seller does not have to sell quickly, is priced correctly, and not concerned re inspections or appraisals, they should automatically reduce their price by 10% for cash....cause you have it? So cash still remains different when in the required transaction form of a certified check from the certified check the buyer's lender provides? It is OK to be an elitist if you associate with or are actually one? AND Americans are arrogant? Any help you can provide would be deeply appreciated. Anxiously await the posts decribing your efforts to "fit in" once you find a home and neigborhood. It should be a "hoot" Oh, by the way that is not an elitist word.........

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to OCNYISHOME again."

Dang. (That's an elitist term expressing regret at the circumstance in which one finds oneself.)

Old 05-06-2008, 10:54 AM

195 posts, read 538,728 times
Can I please put this post back on topic? If you have relocated or are looking to relocate and buy a home in the near future; how have you or will you find a real estate agent?
I apologize for all the negative experiences people have had in working with agents. My goal is to find people who are wanting to relocate and make there transition a happy, pleasent experience.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:23 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,225,413 times
Kari,

If I may, I'd like to comment on the Exclusive Buyer Representation Agreement in the state of Maine, as I see two posters on this thread that are shopping here. As of July 1, 2006 the Maine Legislature passed sweeping legislation enforced by the Real Estate Commission that requires all agreements be in writing and oral contracts are no longer allowed. Without an agreement, a prospective buyer is a "customer" and customer level services are very basic; one of my real estate instructors described us as "monkeys with a key." We must be truthful and forthcoming, but absolutely cannot offer any advice. I meet with all prospective buyers first, explain the difference between a "customer" relationship and a "client" relationship in which I (and my company) make available all of my knowledge and skills to help the client get the best house at the best price and terms. I always work the first time in that customer relationship and when the customer asks me questions that I can't answer, I politely inform them of the law, which I must uphold. If we hit it off in that first meeting, I strongly recommend that they sign an agreement, even for only 1 day or 1 house, so that I can represent them. To sum up, in Maine, agents do push for written agreements, but it's only because the law requires us to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate