Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 08:07 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times

Advertisements

We've had 50 showings (at least 6 or 7 of those are 2nd/3rd showings) and had 1 offer on the 50th showing. So it doesn't matter how many showings you've had, it just takes the right buyer to be in your market at the right time. Interestingly, we got our offer right after we bumped up buyer agent's commission slightly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 08:18 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,853,374 times
We're on 7 days today and no showings yet. We were on Realtor.com the next day, in paper on Friday and on realtor's site by Fri (should've been sooner on her's).

Two much smaller and on smaller pieces of property have sold and there are 2 other homes-totally different footprints listed at substantially more than us. Just keeping everything crossed and hopefully get to NC!!!!

Old 05-05-2008, 08:25 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,775,766 times
Good luck, our offer was only 2% off listing price, we have tons of houses on the market but many buyers also. Our street has 4 houses for sale and all are under contract now, so apparently not much of the doom and gloom news affecting this market. (Triangle area, NC)

Old 05-05-2008, 08:40 AM

Moonwalkr-just where we're planning on moving to!!

Just had a call-showing tomorrow 2PM.

Thing is out here RE offices close noon Sat. and all day Sun.-doesn't make sense to me. That was the busy time in NJ.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:54 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
Yes, it's on MLS, Realtor.com, the company website, and sunday local papers. I thought open houses were mostly for "looky-loos" and agents trying to drum up clients? That not many houses sell from open houses?
I'm a realtor, the answer to this comment is yes and no. You will get neighbors who "have always wondered" kind of thing. BUT you will get a lot of people coming through. As long as it's on the MLS, newspapers etc, the next step I always suggest is an open house. it's an inconvenience for a day, the realtor will make sure that everyone signs in (so you know who's been in your house) and then they take that list and use it for leads. As long as you are okay with people parading through your house, then I recommend it.

Not all realtors do this but I did. I had every single person sign in, I had every single person take off their shoes and offered them these little paper slipper things. I walked each person / group through the house personally so that I knew what was happening at all times. If people came while I was somewhere in the house, I'd have them wait for me - it always worked out and everyone for the most part went along with the plan. I never had any complaints from the homeowners though.

Another person said not to get discouraged, because it's the market right now. They are right. Sometimes your house has to sit for a little while and then all of a sudden you'll get a bunch of calls midweek. Hang in there, it's tough right now for everyone.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:11 AM

When we had Open Houses in our NJ home-it was 2 levels (bi-level) and our broker always brought either his wife or another realtor to be down while he was up. As you did he also had everyone sign in and had booties for feet.

Our realtor here doesn't believe in OH's.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:15 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
When we had Open Houses in our NJ home-it was 2 levels (bi-level) and our broker always brought either his wife or another realtor to be down while he was up. As you did he also had everyone sign in and had booties for feet.

Our realtor here doesn't believe in OH's.
In this market, it can't hurt. While open houses don't usually sell houses here, I read so many stories about buyers not making appointments because they don't want to be tied down to an agent, so they go to open houses.

Ask your agent if he will consider it

Old 05-05-2008, 06:03 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,225,413 times
If your agent won't consider it, have him/her have another agent in the office do one.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:50 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
We also had 2 agents at each open, and lookers had to sign in. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it might be; better than private showings in a way. We had about 15 people come through at each open...cleaned up the place...went out for the afternoon, then out for dinner!

Old 05-06-2008, 03:12 PM

175 posts, read 1,485,947 times
Well, now it has been 16 days and no showings or phone calls. Yes, all 6 agents did comps, so the price is in the ballpark. Yes, it's advertised on Realtor.com, the Agents' company website (well-known name) and supposedly in the sunday papers, also flyers on the sign in the yard, and oh yes, on Craigslist! Great location, good pictures, very cute house. Three bedroom, only one bathroom though. Maybe that is what is making people stay away??
We are going to have an agent open house next week, and a 'regular' open house the first sunday in June. I'm sure hoping that will at least bring some lookers! This is getting mighty depressing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate