Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 12:17 PM

119 posts, read 233,117 times

Advertisements

I'm at the stage of the home buying process where I need to find a reliable contractor and it just might be the hardest part. I do not understand why it is this hard to find a contractor who is reliable, honest, and hardworking. I can't think of a more unprofessional group of people who actually hold a license. I just don't get it. It's wintertime, it's not like it's even the busy season. Any tips on locating a good one beyond asking family and friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 12:22 PM

9,863 posts, read 4,638,421 times
Demand and in many areas the public screwed themselves hiring as cheap as possible thus enabling those contractors that are incompetent, cut corners, lazy, rush, slops, don't care etc. If you can't find recommendations you trust at least check for license or diy.

Old 02-27-2021, 12:40 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Try NextDoor.

Old 02-27-2021, 12:46 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Not sure why you don't want to ask family and friends. They're the best source for good referrals. Also your Real Estate agent... I hate to toot our own horn but I think we do have opportunity to know who the good and bad contractors are!

I think there is a general shortage, nationwide, in skilled tradespeople.

For decades we've been discouraging the trades and telling young people to get college degrees which often leave them saddled with debt.

I think we've also made it very difficult for legitimate skilled tradesmen to stay in business.

I do hope we turn it around soon! Many of the good ones are aging out of the business and taking their knowledge with them.

Old 02-27-2021, 02:26 PM

9,878 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainrunner View Post
It's wintertime, it's not like it's even the busy season.
COVID = busy season for all good contractors. Most are overloaded with work. I'm in the queue for dormer/window work, but I won't expect anything until late spring/ early summer. At least he told me to expect it to take a long time.

Old 02-27-2021, 04:37 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Not sure why you don't want to ask family and friends. They're the best source for good referrals. Also your Real Estate agent... I hate to toot our own horn but I think we do have opportunity to know who the good and bad contractors are!

I think there is a general shortage, nationwide, in skilled tradespeople.

For decades we've been discouraging the trades and telling young people to get college degrees which often leave them saddled with debt.

I think we've also made it very difficult for legitimate skilled tradesmen to stay in business.

I do hope we turn it around soon! Many of the good ones are aging out of the business and taking their knowledge with them.
^^This.^^

We have a nationwide contractor shortage that isn't getting any better. 80% of construction companies can't find the workers they need.

1) They are aging out.
2) Millenials and Gen Z aren't interested in those jobs
3) Many, many contractors left for other jobs during the recession.
4) Immigrants can be hired, but we have issues with the number of work visas allowed and then language issues.

All of this means, you need to get into a contractor's queue, wait a long time, and then pay them a high sum. Going into the trades is great money right now. Hard work, but good money.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:34 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
The best contractor is one that you don't pay anything to until the job is completed to your satisfaction.

Pay them anything up front and it'll be hell trying to get them back to your job.

Have them scope out the job, give you a list of materials, you buy the materials and have them delivered to your property. Then pay the contractor for his labor when the work is completed.

Old 02-28-2021, 01:35 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
I suspect - as with anything to do with real estate and houses - everything is entirely based on location. On our island, there's a huge amount of high end houses being built and that's sucking up a lot of the various workers. We're waiting for the excavator to show up and he was supposed to have been here on the 1st. But, well, maybe he just didn't specify which 1st he was gonna show up on? If he arrives the day after tomorrow it will only be one month late, so that isn't too bad, I suppose.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:51 AM

9,453 posts, read 5,212,640 times
My opinion on this, in my own area, is that all the 'good' contractors are continually busy with word of mouth referrals from people in fairly 'affluent' areas and they stick with people who have the $$ to pay them for their skills.

With three notable exceptions, we have problems with every single person who has done work in our home.

Good luck.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:57 AM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
I agree... The really good ones have more work than they can handle.
It has always been that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate