Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 02:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times

Advertisements

Here's a story on a cash sale where the seller won't leave.

Realtors, what is this legally? I don't understand the talk about the moratorium on evictions. This was never a landlord/tenant situation. Isn't this illegal occupancy or trespassing? It was a cash sale that was fully executed beginning to end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpWjdsFBS0E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 02:56 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Here's a story on a cash sale where the seller won't leave.

Realtors, what is this legally? I don't understand the talk about the moratorium on evictions. This was never a landlord/tenant situation. Isn't this illegal occupancy or trespassing? It was a cash sale that was fully executed beginning to end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpWjdsFBS0E
I'm sorry, just watching this breaks my heart.

Old 03-23-2021, 03:23 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
After I consult my attorney to understand my position, I would pull the electric meter and turn off the water and lock the valve. Then I would wait for them to leave, at which time I would gain entrance and secure all the doors with new locks.

RM

Old 03-23-2021, 03:34 PM

6,474 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
After I consult my attorney to understand my position, I would pull the electric meter and turn off the water and lock the valve. Then I would wait for them to leave, at which time I would gain entrance and secure all the doors with new locks.

RM
In some states, that could get you arrested.

I had a situation of a man and his wife who were living in my father's home rent free when he moved out. My father died less than a year later and they did not want to have to move out. We needed them out since we were trying to sell the property and they had no contract with my Dad, only a verbal agreement.

We gave them almost a month to vacate the premise (long before the Covid pandemic). We wanted to do the very things you suggested and a close friend who was an active cop warned us not to do so. There is a process to remove squatters and it doesn't usually favor the homeowner or make it easy in many states.

Old 03-23-2021, 03:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
In some states, that could get you arrested.

I had a situation of a man and his wife who were living in my father's home rent free when he moved out. My father died less than a year later and they did not want to have to move out. We needed them out since we were trying to sell the property and they had no contract with my Dad, only a verbal agreement.

We gave them almost a month to vacate the premise (long before the Covid pandemic). We wanted to do the very things you suggested and a close friend who was an active cop warned us not to do so. There is a process to remove squatters and it doesn't usually favor the homeowner or make it easy in many states.
But the OP case isn't squatting. A property has to be unoccupied to claim squatter's rights.

Old 03-23-2021, 04:48 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
We had some concerns about the sellers on the house we recently bought not being gone by closing due to some comments they made to the realtor. We made it clear that we expected the house to be empty at the final walkthrough the night before closing. It was. Seems like that would be a normal thing to require, no? I suppose the seller could still refuse to turn over the keys, but if all the furniture and such has been removed that would be a pretty good sign to me. Did that not occur here?

Old 03-23-2021, 06:11 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
But the OP case isn't squatting. A property has to be unoccupied to claim squatter's rights.
Exactly. That and it's assumed that title has conveyed to the new owners, as the description says they closed on the house. That means that legally the house is theirs.

I would consider this adverse possession.

RM

Old 03-23-2021, 07:28 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,397,711 times
You have to occupy an abandoned piece of real estate for several years to claim adverse possession. In some states, you also have to pay property taxes (which the seller hadn't even been doing). This is just plain old trespassing.

I'm not a lawyer, but it doesn't look like a situation like this is covered by the CDC moratorium on evictions, which comes with lots of conditions and does allow certain evictions--it's probably a California thing, where they've outstupided everybody with the "strongest eviction protections in the nation."

Old 03-23-2021, 07:59 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Wow this is crazy!

Old 03-23-2021, 08:27 PM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
We had some concerns about the sellers on the house we recently bought not being gone by closing due to some comments they made to the realtor. We made it clear that we expected the house to be empty at the final walkthrough the night before closing. It was. Seems like that would be a normal thing to require, no? I suppose the seller could still refuse to turn over the keys, but if all the furniture and such has been removed that would be a pretty good sign to me. Did that not occur here?
My thoughts exactly. Don’t go to the closing table without doing a final walk thru. I also learned this lesson the hard way ..... old owners were still there when we arrived with the moving truck. We flew in for the closing and did a final walk thru and the house still had their stuff there but it was all packed up. They had some trouble with the movers and our stuff arrived before their movers came to get their stuff. Lesson learned. Now the final walk thru must be done on an empty house or I don’t close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate