Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 08:03 AM

15,589 posts, read 40,484,416 times

Advertisements

Things you can be doing wrong...

1) Your property is unique and just doesn't have a large buyer pool.
2) You have terrible photos.
3) Your home is more dated/needs more work than you think it does.
4) You aren't offering a decent buyer agent commission.
5) You aren't on enough websites where people can find you. Pay for a limited representation listing to get on your local MLS.
6) You are overpriced for market and property condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 08:33 AM

14,551 posts, read 12,192,089 times
The others have made some good suggestions already. If you’re in an area that’s a hot market and your house isn’t selling I would guess the price is too high. I’m going to guess that people are rightly reluctant to offer less on most properties in the area so they think yours is just out of their budget. It is possible to overprice things even in crazy markets. And in your hubby’s defense it can be difficult to appraise properties right now when popular properties are getting bid up so much.

If you want a quick sale I would probably lower the price and look at the other considerations the others have brought up… Like whether your pictures and marketing are as good as they can be.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:28 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,166,919 times
OP, I saw your post regarding moving in another thread, so I know where you are and it is a hot market. People are buying houses sight unseen, no matter the condition, in parts of that state. Not sure about your city. I am very familiar with other areas and houses that would normally sit and sit and sit and then be removed from the market are being snatched up in record time. Seeing is believing, but it's difficult to grasp even so.

There are some very helpful people on this thread. You will get unbiased and constructive feedback if you post your listing pictures here. I really hope you consider doing this; it may become obvious quickly what the problem is and you can fix and be on your way or adjust the price accordingly.

Is your home an oddball for the neighborhood? Much larger or smaller than others on the street? A random 4 acre piece surrounded by smaller lots? Rundown homes within view? No high speed internet? Only listed on FSBO sites and not the MLS?

Old 03-24-2021, 10:36 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,667,756 times
Haven't read the thread, but if you're not getting offers, it's a price issue. Lower your price.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:43 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,448,101 times
Where are you advertising?

Old 03-24-2021, 10:53 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,448,101 times
I did some digging and think I found the listing. If it is the one I think it is, I would say it does seem a little overpriced. I don't think the updating required is an issue, a little dated maybe, but really not that bad. But I do think you need to stage it. There is a lot of clutter, papers and books stacked in places, used towels hanging in the bathroom, toiletries out, furniture cabinet doors left open (no one is buying your furniture), fake plants, etc. And those are the pictures, so I'm assuming that is the best it's being shown.

If you don't need something day to day, put it in storage. Keep it minimal. People aren't buying and don't want to see your stuff.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:21 AM

6,568 posts, read 8,416,918 times
OP, have you solicited feedback from the people or their agents who viewed your home?

I found your listing. While it does look like your home could use some cosmetic updating, it does appear to be move in ready.

Depending on how your market is, it might be worth it to have professional photos taken. Also, offer to pay a local realtor a flat fee to simply get it in the MLS for more exposure.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:43 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,166,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I did some digging and think I found the listing. If it is the one I think it is, I would say it does seem a little overpriced. I don't think the updating required is an issue, a little dated maybe, but really not that bad. But I do think you need to stage it. There is a lot of clutter, papers and books stacked in places, used towels hanging in the bathroom, toiletries out, furniture cabinet doors left open (no one is buying your furniture), fake plants, etc. And those are the pictures, so I'm assuming that is the best it's being shown.

If you don't need something day to day, put it in storage. Keep it minimal. People aren't buying and don't want to see your stuff.

I think I found it too.

I agree with CG not to remodel anything. You won't get a dime of it back. I've seen a lot worse pictures, but yours aren't great - quite dark and definitely don't show the best side of your listing. I realize it's Zillow, so not exactly a great source, but stats on the listing indicate it's priced significantly (97%) higher than what is average for the zip code. Also, your property suits a very specific buyer who is looking for a field to put horses or cows on. If someone wants privacy on their acres this is not the land for them. If you can get professional photos done and stage a bit better you may get more attention, but I think the bigger issue is price and the very specific type of property this is. Can you get feedback from the people who have viewed your home?

If I found the incorrect listing I take it all back

Old 03-24-2021, 11:53 AM

865 posts, read 443,154 times
Quite likely overpriced. And if you aren’t offering a buyer’s agent anything that is going to limit who looks at at.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:58 AM

17,717 posts, read 29,878,333 times
Take new photos.
They are way too dark.
And, a photo of a rooster? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate