Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 12:09 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,350,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1420 View Post
I just accepted an offer on my house. And, in the end not one offer (of the 10+) had a home sale contingency. Every offer, but one, was well over asking. Most offers requested an inspection, but for informational purposes only and the right to walk away. And several offers agreed to make-up any difference between the sales price and the appraised price. I wouldn’t have even considered an offer with a home sale contingency. The same way I didn’t consider any offers with FHA financing or any conventional loan that only put down only 5%.

So, at least in my Midwestern city at the lower price points (probably under 750k or so), a home sale contingency is a no go. However, the city where I am moving to you can still buy contingent on the sale of your existing home, but it’s harder.
None of your 10+ offers were FHA or conventional 5% down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 12:53 PM

347 posts, read 427,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
None of your 10+ offers were FHA or conventional 5% down?
Yes, I got two offers with FHA financing, and one which was conventional putting down 5%. They were never in the running. I wouldn’t have considered FHA under almost any circumstance as the FHA appraisal often provides an extra list of things to do for the seller in order for the loan to be funded. And given how much houses are selling over asking, I was only willing to consider buyers who either had a large enough down payment or were willing to cover the short fall in the appraisal value to the sales price.

In a normal market a sales contingency or an FHA loan, while not my first choice wouldn’t be the end of the world. But, the reality is I had 10+ offers, so I had the luxury to be picky (I was hoping for 2-3 offers). And, from my perspective I have an average cookie cutter house in a cookie cutter Midwest suburb, and if this is the way the market is for a home like mine, then I can’t imagine what it’s like in even more competitive markets. So to me a home sale contingency is pretty much a no-go.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:23 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
In Tarrant County, DFW market
Seeing more houses posted on Realtor.com showing contingency
Don’t know if because more homes on market in last 2 wks-which there are- of it mortgage rates are making difference

Old 04-18-2021, 12:56 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,894,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
In Tarrant County, DFW market
Seeing more houses posted on Realtor.com showing contingency
Don’t know if because more homes on market in last 2 wks-which there are- of it mortgage rates are making difference
in your case, realtor.com is just noting that the houses are under contract (pending/contingent all kind of interchange depending on the site), not that the sale is contingent on another house having to be sold

Old 04-18-2021, 07:50 AM

Then why are some listed as “pending” and some “contingent”

Old 04-18-2021, 08:52 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times
Quote:
I believe sometimes an agent will indicate “contingent” when the house is in the option period - usually up to seven days while the buyer is having the house inspected. We are in the middle of selling our condo in Dallas and the buyer just released the option period and the place has moved from contingent to pending.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:14 AM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:

Different MLSs have different rules on listing status.

In the Triangle MLS, in NC, where I am and according to MLS rules, "Contingent" means "Under Contract and available to be shown," perhaps for backup offers or market comparisons.
"Pending" means "Under Contract and cannot be shown."
That is the only formal, official difference to affect consumers and agents.

Then it gets goofy......

Some untrained or unsupervised agents don't know how to properly use those two MLS statuses, and apply different meanings, including getting inspections or appraisals or negotiating condition or whatever. And, they or the sellers deny showing requests while in "Contingent" status.
So that poor training and execution confuses agents and consumers who think they should be able to view homes that are in "Contingent" status, when the owners shoot down all showing requests.

Regardless, never forget that different MLSs have and enforce different rules and guidelines.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:15 AM

5,979 posts, read 7,387,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I believe sometimes an agent will indicate “contingent” when the house is in the option period - usually up to seven days while the buyer is having the house inspected. We are in the middle of selling our condo in Dallas and the buyer just released the option period and the place has moved from contingent to pending.
Good point.

Either way, it can be assumed that the property is under contract with either.

RM

Old 04-18-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I considered that because standby offers can still be made if things fall through during the inspection period

Old 04-18-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Good point.

Either way, it can be assumed that the property is under contract with either.

RM
In TX a property is not under contract if there is an inspection period...
It can often still receive standby offers
Only after the inspection period has concluded w/satisfactory results to both sides will the sales contract go into force...

So if the inspection reveals issues and the buyers and sellers can’t reach agreement the sale does not go forward

Sometime in hot market buyers will put house under offer just to give themselves more time to search and if they like another house they find in that inspection period will just drop first house after inspection period
Inspection proffer usually calls for smaller fee that will be lost if they do not go forward
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate