Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 03:32 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times

Advertisements

This would be bad if an innocent buyer found themselves in this situation but for a real estate agent to have put herself into the position of closing and paying in full in cash without checking to make sure the house was vacant is ridiculous. I'd be curious to see if she has signed a single client since the story broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 04:35 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times
We won a tax lien in New Jersey unexpectedly ..all we anted was the 18% interest . We never planned on the house .

People always find a way to pay it off

Well the owners never paid and we got the house .

The owners wouldn’t leave so we had to start eviction...that took almost a year .... then coincidentally the house is vandalized and gutted ....we had no proof it was the old owners but we are sure it was l

Then because they left a lot of stuff behind under state law we had to store it for six months and then it is ours .

So we had to pay to have it moved , stored and then cleaned out .

This was a disaster..... luckily my partner was a builder so we did rebuild it but I would never buy a tax lien again

Old 04-15-2021, 09:42 AM

9,895 posts, read 4,656,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
We won a tax lien in New Jersey unexpectedly ..all we anted was the 18% interest . We never planned on the house .

People always find a way to pay it off

Well the owners never paid and we got the house .

The owners wouldn’t leave so we had to start eviction...that took almost a year .... then coincidentally the house is vandalized and gutted ....we had no proof it was the old owners but we are sure it was l

Then because they left a lot of stuff behind under state law we had to store it for six months and then it is ours .

So we had to pay to have it moved , stored and then cleaned out .

This was a disaster..... luckily my partner was a builder so we did rebuild it but I would never buy a tax lien again
Always amazed how people who feel entitled to a house or rental and resent the people they owe money to. They're bitter they weren't cut another break. To me anything other than a few months behind for specific reasons is fraud. A lot of these eviction processes take over a year.

I couldn't live in a home knowing I will eventually have to leave and one day the sheriff might come knocking on the door and I'd have to leave that day. That's a sociopath otherwise known as a criminal

Had one foreclosure in the neighborhood where the previous evicted owners poured concrete into metal objects. They filled old school metal filing cabinet drawers among other things. The new owners tried putting one drawer out a week after municipal trash wouldn't pick it up in regular trash pick-up. They wound up paying for removal.

But that sense of entitlement then resentment.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:35 AM

5,979 posts, read 7,387,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Always amazed how people who feel entitled to a house or rental and resent the people they owe money to. They're bitter they weren't cut another break. To me anything other than a few months behind for specific reasons is fraud. A lot of these eviction processes take over a year.

I couldn't live in a home knowing I will eventually have to leave and one day the sheriff might come knocking on the door and I'd have to leave that day. That's a sociopath otherwise known as a criminal

Had one foreclosure in the neighborhood where the previous evicted owners poured concrete into metal objects. They filled old school metal filing cabinet drawers among other things. The new owners tried putting one drawer out a week after municipal trash wouldn't pick it up in regular trash pick-up. They wound up paying for removal.

But that sense of entitlement then resentment.
I believe there is an element of our society that believes in entitlement and uses it to their advantage.

There was a couple (college educated, professional people, not low life bums) in my previous neighborhood who bought multiple homes, all of which were foreclosed on. The last one took four years, during which time they continued to live in it until they got divorced. The wife and kids stayed there after the divorce, then she moved out and bought another home nearby (how I have no idea.) The husband continues to rent the house out for several years until the bank finally showed up and gave the renters 24 hours notice. Within two weeks it was cleaned up and on the market.

A business property she bought was foreclosed on. Both have filed bankruptcy (personal and business) and have Federal tax liens.

My observation is that it's like a game to these people and will continue until lenders cut them off completely. Meantime their shenanigans add to the costs that responsible borrowers have to incur.

RM

Old 04-15-2021, 10:46 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,032,353 times
Buyers may have come out ahead financially in the end (or close to even)... 15 months is a huge appreciation in this wild RE market. Inconveniences aside, they can turn around and sell it much higher immediately!

Old 04-16-2021, 09:17 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,150,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I could have sworn there was another thread about this, but I can't find it now. Or was it another situation where the same thing happened?
There was. I remember it because someone posted so eloquently: "California is stupid."

Old 04-22-2021, 09:26 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,019,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I could have sworn there was another thread about this, but I can't find it now. Or was it another situation where the same thing happened?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
There was. I remember it because someone posted so eloquently: "California is stupid."
This thread?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/real...eave-what.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate