Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 11:15 AM

24 posts, read 35,584 times

Advertisements

So, market IS crazy here as everywhere else, not too many choices or open houses....
If I go see a listing with the listing agent does that mean I can’t bring a buyers agent later on?
Is the agent who shows the house originally assigned the buyers side of the commission?

I have a buyers agent but not sure I want to keep them...that’s a different story...but market is moving quick here and would like to see a few properties in the meantime..(.don’t know if it’s the market or the agents but haven’t been too impressed with the ones I have met so far...)

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2021, 11:21 AM

14,496 posts, read 12,134,812 times
I have seen a lot of listing instructions recently that say in order to get buyer side commission a buyer’s agent must attend all showings. Since it seems that should go without saying… I think that’s a response by listing agents who are tired of showing properties and then splitting with a buyers agent who shows up later to write the offer.

I would try to find and stick with the buyer’s agent that you like especially in this market.

Old 04-16-2021, 12:30 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabela2010 View Post
So, market IS crazy here as everywhere else, not too many choices or open houses....
If I go see a listing with the listing agent does that mean I can’t bring a buyers agent later on?
Is the agent who shows the house originally assigned the buyers side of the commission?

I have a buyers agent but not sure I want to keep them...that’s a different story...but market is moving quick here and would like to see a few properties in the meantime..(.don’t know if it’s the market or the agents but haven’t been too impressed with the ones I have met so far...)

Thoughts?
You have a buyers agent. Or, you don't have a buyers agent.
Choose.
If, "Yes," use your agent.
If, "No," tell the listing agent you are unrepresented.

If, "Maybe so," choose....
Don't create muddy waters for no good reason.

Some agents will not show their own listings to another agent's buyer. It is dereliction of fiduciary duty, but they don't care.

Old 04-16-2021, 02:48 PM

24 posts, read 35,584 times
Got it. Thanks for everyone’s feedback.

Old 04-16-2021, 04:31 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,150,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You have a buyers agent. Or, you don't have a buyers agent.
Choose.
If, "Yes," use your agent.
If, "No," tell the listing agent you are unrepresented.

If, "Maybe so," choose....
Don't create muddy waters for no good reason.

Some agents will not show their own listings to another agent's buyer. It is dereliction of fiduciary duty, but they don't care.
Chiming in here with a similar question or two: I am planning a trip in a few months to check out an area for a potential relocation. I plan to go to at least one open house while there. I don't foresee having a buyer's agent lined up by then as I haven't even vetted the area yet (at least not in-person). In that case, I guess I simply tell the listing agent at any open house I attend that I'm unrepresented? Is there anything else I should know and/or tell (or not) any listing agent I meet?

And how do I find a good buyer's agent when I don't know a soul in the area?

ETA: Are open houses these days really "Open" or will I need to make an appointment...and if so, how would I know if I see an open house scheduled on one of the on-line services? I suppose this might depend on the market...

Old 04-16-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Chiming in here with a similar question or two: I am planning a trip in a few months to check out an area for a potential relocation. I plan to go to at least one open house while there. I don't foresee having a buyer's agent lined up by then as I haven't even vetted the area yet (at least not in-person). In that case, I guess I simply tell the listing agent at any open house I attend that I'm unrepresented? Is there anything else I should know and/or tell (or not) any listing agent I meet?

And how do I find a good buyer's agent when I don't know a soul in the area?

ETA: Are open houses these days really "Open" or will I need to make an appointment...and if so, how would I know if I see an open house scheduled on one of the on-line services? I suppose this might depend on the market...

Tell the agent hosting the open house that you are not represented, but you are only on a scouting trip to the area. (Well... HERE "Scouting Trip" means you are not yet committed, just considering relocation to the area.)
Mostly, "Open House" means it is really "Open," with an agent or two hosting.
Bear in mind, a great many open houses are hosted by agents who are not the listing agent, but are merely trying to scrape up buyer clients. If you give up contact information, you will likely be contacted. And, contacted.... And, contacted.

And, in many areas, you will be in a line of a dozen, or many dozens, of buyers who are seriously looking. You may invest a lot of your scouting time in a few front yards chatting with nice people.

If there is new construction in the area, and if a builder's onsite agent is willing to meet with you, you may learn a fair amount in a couple of those sessions.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:56 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,912,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Is there anything else I should know and/or tell (or not) any listing agent I meet?
Open houses are generally held on a Saturday and Sunday. Maybe other days. The ads will give you the times and dates. You don't need a buyer's agent to visit several a day during your scouting trip. Just understand that, in today's real estate market, whatever you look at is likely to be sold by the time you go home.

Use your visit as an opportunity to check out sample homes in a variety of neighborhoods.

This site has a geographical forum where you can pick a city and discuss locations with people that live there. Do that before your scouting trip.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/

When you have committed to relocating I suggest you rent someplace temporarily while you get used to the area and figure out what's available and where you want to live.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:57 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,526,250 times
You need to be upfront with any listing agents that you have or will have a buyers agent. For open houses, just tell them that you have a buyers agent.
You may as well get a buyers agent when starting your search. They should be helping you find properties, showing you properties, pulling comps.

Old 04-17-2021, 12:13 PM

5,979 posts, read 7,387,456 times
This brings up a good question:

I'm getting ready to start researching properties in the Flagstaff, AZ area. I'll be traveling there regularly and looking at open houses to get an idea of what's on the market, neighborhoods, etc., etc. I am probably 1-2 years out from buying. I don't want to waste a realtor's time now because I'm not going to be doing anything for a while.

In this wild market is it fair to engage an agent this far in advance without any guarantee of performance? Again, I don't want to waste someone's time - I will engage an agent when we're ready to start looking with an expectation of buying.

RM

Old 04-17-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
This brings up a good question:

I'm getting ready to start researching properties in the Flagstaff, AZ area. I'll be traveling there regularly and looking at open houses to get an idea of what's on the market, neighborhoods, etc., etc. I am probably 1-2 years out from buying. I don't want to waste a realtor's time now because I'm not going to be doing anything for a while.

In this wild market is it fair to engage an agent this far in advance without any guarantee of performance? Again, I don't want to waste someone's time - I will engage an agent when we're ready to start looking with an expectation of buying.

RM

It is entirely up to how you introduce your intentions.

If you are right upfront, and the agent goes along with your plan, yes, it is fair.

If you are less than straightforward in your plans, no, not really fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate