Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 02:07 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Canada doesn't even build outside walls with 2x4's any more. Local const. is 2.6, and even 2.8 for l.5 stories, and we're NOT in an earthquake, tornado, flood, and hurricane zone. !!!
Much of the US has the same requirements, largely as a function of energy efficiency requirements. Or, houses end up being framed with 2x6 since it's the easier means of complying to energy efficiency requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 09:49 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
Who can afford building a house now? Someone told me a sheet of plywood costs 70.00 dollars at Lowes.
Builders don’t get their lumber from Lowes
And big builders order their lumber by gross contract

Old 04-20-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I just bought 100 2x4x10's for $5 a piece at a small sawmill local to me. Full dimension 2x4's too. I'll be getting the floor joists and rough sawn 1x boards from them too for the sheathing, to build the last section of my house this summer. The big box stores aren't the only game in town. Unless you live where there's codes and that forbids anything not officially grade stamped.

The loggers and landowners aren't getting higher stumpage prices here either.
Not worried about the wood moving on you? Not worried about the drywall?

Wood at box stores, and lumberyards where a contractor is more likely to shop, is smaller for a reason. It's dried, and planed and molded.

The kiln drying of wood is largely about bugs and interstate commerce, but all the same, your lumber will dry whether you kiln it or not, and it will shrink when you dry it. And the "extra" wood from the planing/molding process that you save may create a lot of extra work moving forwards. In the old days they didn't do that step but it wasn't as critical because walls were commonly lath and plaster. Nowdays we use drywall and that requires a flatter more consistent surface to apply since you can't adjust for irregularities in the wood beneath it, without planing down some of that wood beneath it.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Just was at a local lumberyard (not Lowe's or Home Depot) and found (retail):

3/8" CDX Plywood $50.88

2x4s, stud grade fir $8.18

7/16" OSB Sheeting (used for most homes) was $66.88, last summer I paid $9 for some. Yes, they told me that increased demand and tight supplies caused the big increase.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:27 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Not worried about the wood moving on you? Not worried about the drywall?

Wood at box stores, and lumberyards where a contractor is more likely to shop, is smaller for a reason. It's dried, and planed and molded.

The kiln drying of wood is largely about bugs and interstate commerce, but all the same, your lumber will dry whether you kiln it or not, and it will shrink when you dry it. And the "extra" wood from the planing/molding process that you save may create a lot of extra work moving forwards. In the old days they didn't do that step but it wasn't as critical because walls were commonly lath and plaster. Nowdays we use drywall and that requires a flatter more consistent surface to apply since you can't adjust for irregularities in the wood beneath it, without planing down some of that wood beneath it.
All the old houses here were built this way. I built the first half of my house the same way and have had no issues.

The actual moisture content of that box store lumber is highly variable. https://www.blacktailstudio.com/blog...n-dried-lumber

I did something similar after reading that and checked random pieces with a moisture meter at home depot. Right now my rough 2x4's have a moisture content only slightly higher than the average from home depot. They're stacked, stickered, and covered, and I won't be getting to the framing of the walls until likely June or July. So they should be at a good moisture content by then. Even so, I likely won't be finishing the interior until next winter. So it will dry even more. I'm using a combination of 3/4" pine beadboard and lathe/plaster for the walls. I personally dislike drywall walls. It's an inferior product.

When I was studying forestry in Maine we had a visit to one of the larger sawmills up there. They cut spruce and balsam fir. Both are combined for grading purposes (spruce-fir). But fir has a higher moisture content than spruce. They kiln dried all of it for the same time, aimed primarily at the spruce. That meant the fir left still, technically, not dried. All of this was allowed by the grading standards but it meant sometimes stacks of lumber heavy on fir content would even go moldy in transportation and storage. They decided it was cheaper to occasionally replace a load of moldy lumber than to dry the fir for the appropriate time. Mixing fully dry and still green lumber is a recipe for problems.

I quite specifically purchased hemlock framing lumber over fir for its slightly better decay resistance, strength, and generally tighter growth rings around here (I watched 5 inch fir trees being cut into single 2x4's in that Maine mill, there weren't many rings in them). Sapwood is not as good as heartwood.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:00 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
From what I read, the wildfires in CA, and subsequent rebuilding are a factor causing the high prices. If there's another bad fire season this year, it may delay lumber prices dropping.

Old 04-20-2021, 10:30 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,373,473 times
That and tariff related issues with Canada, one of the largest softwood suppliers in the world.

RM

Old 04-20-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
All the old houses here were built this way. I built the first half of my house the same way and have had no issues.

The actual moisture content of that box store lumber is highly variable. https://www.blacktailstudio.com/blog...n-dried-lumber

I did something similar after reading that and checked random pieces with a moisture meter at home depot. Right now my rough 2x4's have a moisture content only slightly higher than the average from home depot. They're stacked, stickered, and covered, and I won't be getting to the framing of the walls until likely June or July. So they should be at a good moisture content by then. Even so, I likely won't be finishing the interior until next winter. So it will dry even more. I'm using a combination of 3/4" pine beadboard and lathe/plaster for the walls. I personally dislike drywall walls. It's an inferior product.

When I was studying forestry in Maine we had a visit to one of the larger sawmills up there. They cut spruce and balsam fir. Both are combined for grading purposes (spruce-fir). But fir has a higher moisture content than spruce. They kiln dried all of it for the same time, aimed primarily at the spruce. That meant the fir left still, technically, not dried. All of this was allowed by the grading standards but it meant sometimes stacks of lumber heavy on fir content would even go moldy in transportation and storage. They decided it was cheaper to occasionally replace a load of moldy lumber than to dry the fir for the appropriate time. Mixing fully dry and still green lumber is a recipe for problems.

I quite specifically purchased hemlock framing lumber over fir for its slightly better decay resistance, strength, and generally tighter growth rings around here (I watched 5 inch fir trees being cut into single 2x4's in that Maine mill, there weren't many rings in them). Sapwood is not as good as heartwood.
I thought that the kiln drying was more about bugs than anything else. Otherwise the lumber would air dry sufficiently unless you were milling o Sunday, framing on Monday. And, even doing that, would be fine theoretically if you left the interior open to the studs for awhile as you ran electrical, plumbing, etc...

Plaster/Lathe or drywall you would have the same concern if the framing underneath moved after it was put up.

Old 04-20-2021, 12:01 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Was in the local Home depot and decided to take a look....

$9.57 for a 2x4 x 8
$11.17 for a 2x4 x 10

Old 04-20-2021, 12:16 PM

85 posts, read 32,077 times
The cost of petrol and the inflation cause by the left taking us up to Thirty Trillion national debt is yet to be felt ```
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate