Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 01:23 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,532,680 times

Advertisements

I have no idea because number of offers are under the umbrella term "multiple".

All I know is that homes are selling for well over asking, not only in the city but in the surrounding suburbs. Home value has never been higher, though it matters not because I'm not selling anytime soon.

A sorta dated home in my subdivision was listed at 750k and sold for 855k... keep in mind the home wasn't painted gray with white cabinets, etc...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 02:03 PM

43,389 posts, read 77,320,136 times
Asking price is irrelevant. "Over asking price" is irrelevant.

However, number of offers varies widely. Sometimes 2, if one is excellent. Sometimes 37. 37 offers in 36 hours.
I heard of one that got 72 offers.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:57 PM

32,037 posts, read 36,878,577 times
Dumb question, but let's say you get 10 offers. Assuming they are otherwise all the same, are you legally required to accept the highest one? Or can you just pick the buyer you like best?

Suppose it's a little old lady who just tugs at your heart strings and you want to do something nice for her. Does the law say you can't?

Old 05-25-2021, 03:02 PM

1,579 posts, read 957,737 times
How do you figure out how many offers were made on a house (I am guessing you would need to know the homeowner or something).

I am kind of curious since I am selling in less than a year.

I noticed inventory in my neighborhood is up. It used to be for years now only a handful of houses would come on the market in the spring. Suddenly, there are a lot of them: 19 since January. I am working with a Realtor for my house and she sends me information on the listings in my neighborhood. They still seem to be going under contract quickly even with the volume (in a week or less according to the listings I get). And all seem to go above asking price too.

I find it amazing and kind of hope it holds out until I am ready to sell. I am also nervous though because I can't see how people can afford all this. I know I couldn't pay for my house today.

Old 05-25-2021, 03:27 PM

1,579 posts, read 957,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Dumb question, but let's say you get 10 offers. Assuming they are otherwise all the same, are you legally required to accept the highest one? Or can you just pick the buyer you like best?

Suppose it's a little old lady who just tugs at your heart strings and you want to do something nice for her. Does the law say you can't?

I've wondered the same thing.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:04 PM

43,389 posts, read 77,320,136 times
Quote:

There's more than price in any transaction, so you can pick any of the ten.
But, don't let the nice old lady lead you into a Fair Housing violation.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:08 PM

870 posts, read 2,114,348 times
You can pick any offer you want. With all the various contingencies that are possible, sheer dollar amount doesn’t tell the whole story. A lower price that offers more flexibility or waives inspection may be more desirable than a higher price.

Sometimes there is something about the potential buyer that makes you select theirs above any other. Often, it’s at least one of the higher bids, but there’s no legal requirement.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:39 PM

27,680 posts, read 28,786,696 times
Quote:
Usually, one buyer bids WAY above everyone else.

That makes the choice easy.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:05 PM

928 posts, read 890,754 times
My husband's friend had a rental house in the eastern end of Nassau County Long Island. Completely original 4 bed 1bath. He listed at 499k hoping for the best, and had 45 showings the first day followed by 22 offers. He went under contract at 604K. The market is crazy on Long Island.

Old 05-25-2021, 07:01 PM

6,088 posts, read 3,805,241 times
Quote:

To the best of my knowledge, no, you aren't required to accept the highest offer. The only legal obligation you're under at that point is to pay the realtor the commission that was agreed upon. The reason being is that the listing contract states (paraphrased) that the realtor is due a commission if he/she produces a buyer who is ready, willing, and able to pay the price you are asking for the property.

If the realtor produces such a buyer, then you owe them the commission whether you accept the offer or not. This isn't usually an issue, but just in case you wanted to know, you might be obligated to pay the realtor even if you didn't accept any of the offers if the realtor produces a buyer who meets all the qualifications and requirements of the listing agreement. Just something to keep in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate