Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:22 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
I should have said "attempting" to take advantage of sellers Sorry, for leaving out that word. What I'm saying is, buyers are asking for everything in the contracts I'm seeing come across my desk.........curtains, seat cushions, swing sets, lawn tractors, etc. I'm surprised they're not asking for the Family Dog!

Of course, all of those tangible items are not a part of the appraised value.

I know exactly what you mean. Some buyers are making the craziest offers and requests and then get mad when the seller won't accept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 03:03 PM

180 posts, read 656,158 times
The last house we bought we were not in rush to buy. We were moving up and as such looked at alot of houses. We looked at probably 20-30 houses in small area. I think it came to every single house hat fit our size & # rooms critera that also fit with in a loose price window. We liked some more than others and viewed the same floorplan many times in different homes and after 3 months narrowed it down to 2 homes. Each we looked at 3-4 times with friends/neighbors, etc. Really anyone that could help us decide. Forunatly for us both houses were unoccupied at that point, but having the time look at both closely and get a "feel" for the place was important. As was visiting at different time so of the day. Seems strange to some, but a house is A MAJOR purchase and it is better to look twice than to buy something that did not fit your needs. Once we went back with a tape measure to see how some furnature would fit in the house.

In the end we did buy one of the houses and love it. We are happy we made the right choice.

Sellers I know selling can be frustrating, but that is just what comes with selling a home. Sure this prospective buyer may be bring all kinds of people by, but would you rather have that or NOBODY see the place ever. I can't see the logic in stiffing a potential buyer. Be patient and see where this goes.

As for the agents out there.... Really dealing with this stuff is what you get paid to do. Take by the hand lookers all to places that they probably won't by. Show your listing to prople who probably won't buy. In the end 99% of people who look at home probably won't buy it, but it still takes 100 people throug before you find the ony that will. So what if that one is odd and wants too look at it alot. That is YOUR job. My business is not sales, but I have been involved in a few sales efforts. Let me say that you need to expose your product to lots of people, get lots of "No's", deal with alot of lookers even deal with those tha agonize over the red tie or the blue one, but in the end that is part of the job. You may not like it, but don' try to say it the fault of the buyers. The customer is always right (even when they are not) is a part of real estate too.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:18 PM

Anybody that has been in sales for any time knows dealing with people can be aggravating... just goes with the territory. However, these are trying times right now, because of all of media hype about the real estate market, which may or may not apply to the area you are in. It runs in cycles and this too will come to an end eventually. Dealing with difficult or strange people at times, will always be part of it. It is just some of what we do. Most people are a pleasure to work with to make up for the not so pleasant ones.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:58 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Anybody that has been in sales for any time knows dealing with people can be aggravating... just goes with the territory. However, these are trying times right now, because of all of media hype about the real estate market, which may or may not apply to the area you are in. It runs in cycles and this too will come to an end eventually. Dealing with difficult or strange people at times, will always be part of it. It is just some of what we do. Most people are a pleasure to work with to make up for the not so pleasant ones.
dixiegirl.....You are always SO on it! Although I don't sell much anymore (appraiser since 1990) I know what you mean about the aggravation. It seems every state has people coming and going, and our little Delaware (97 miles long) is really popular, for primarily, retirees. So we're getting people from everywhere. A Realtor told me the other day, that adjusting to attitudes of those moving into the State is a challenge for her. We're a pretty laid back, friendly State. Ya know, I'm thinking with all the continuing education courses we have to take for licensing renewal, they should add a course in either psychology, or dealing with different personalities.....the arrogant, the pushy, the rude! Those types of courses would be helpful, I think.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
dixiegirl.....You are always SO on it! Although I don't sell much anymore (appraiser since 1990) I know what you mean about the aggravation. It seems every state has people coming and going, and our little Delaware (97 miles long) is really popular, for primarily, retirees. So we're getting people from everywhere. A Realtor told me the other day, that adjusting to attitudes of those moving into the State is a challenge for her. We're a pretty laid back, friendly State. Ya know, I'm thinking with all the continuing education courses we have to take for licensing renewal, they should add a course in either psychology, or dealing with different personalities.....the arrogant, the pushy, the rude! Those types of courses would be helpful, I think.

That is so perceptive of you about the psychology classes. I have a degree in psychology and was a therapist for several years...lol. I think you are right that some continuing ed in how to deal with difficult people would help agents and clients avoid some problems.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:29 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,266,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
That is so perceptive of you about the psychology classes. I have a degree in psychology and was a therapist for several years...lol. I think you are right that some continuing ed in how to deal with difficult people would help agents and clients avoid some problems.
Well then, That explains your logical, well thought out, posts!

I quit selling in 1988, after struggling along for 6 years. I spent all my time chauffeuring buyers around, buying them lunch, and being a tour guide for out-of-staters. And, some buyers, were very demanding and rude (don't have to tell you)

Old 05-19-2008, 09:37 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Well, in the end, I took the advice that asked me "how bad do you want to sell it?" I'm in a position where I really HAVE to sell and be free to move very soon, so I gritted my teeth and "beared it", I stayed sweet as honey when the perspective buyer wanted "just one more look", and got an offer from her on it today. Only trouble is, we will not settle for about three weeks - wonder how many times she'll want to just "drop in" between now an then. On the last house I sold, the buyer wanted to come in BEFORE our scheduled closing and install her new blinds and window treatments. I gently said "no" on that one. She was just moving from across town, I was getting ready to move across the country. I told her I needed my space to prepare for my big move, she was understanding and it worked out okay.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:17 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,274,687 times
The only problem I would have with the buyer coming in to look so many times after the accepted offer is..are they going to find something they all of a sudden dont like and try to quit the deal...

Every home we have moved into, we looked at once before offer was made. I took pictures of ones I thought might work, we knew it when we saw it..after we got settled and moved in, sure I found things I had not seen and needed to change, but have never been sorry about any of our buys..

Now we have driven past the home while in escrow a few times, but never go in.

Just me, I guess..

Of course, at this point I would LOVE to have someone come look twice!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:29 PM

178 posts, read 667,542 times
A lot of good posts above, I have been a Realtor for 25 years, Unfortunately we have to deal with these situations on occasion. Patience is a requirement. At some point before this I would have tried to get an offer out of the buyer. You do have to be accommodating.

Take a deep breath, smile, have a cocktail. In a fast market you should have a Realtor,
in a slow market you should have a Realtor. The middle market, try it on your own for a while.

All the best!

Kevin O'Shea

Old 05-20-2008, 05:52 AM

610 posts, read 2,729,861 times
I had a client who was exactly like the person you are describing. They went to see the house twice and wanted to go back. Seller said he would not let us back until we had written an offer to present to him. My clients were so offended that they took the house off the number one spot on their list and purchased the number 2 house the next day. This was last September and the man's house is still for sale! I have the feeling we were not the first people he said this to. How badlly do you want/need to sell? Pehaps open your doors one more time and then kindly remind her/him how many times she/he has seen the place and you hope to make a deal happen soon. Good luck, I know showing your home isn't the most convenient thing, hang it there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate