Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 07:00 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,330,555 times

Advertisements

AC, your home is gorgeous!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2023, 08:25 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,952,385 times
I remember hearing a nightmare story about a couple who bought a very old house to have renovated. During the renovation the contractor found a hidden dumbwaiter system original to the house. Somehow the historic society got involved and all the permits were removed. They had to bring in a new contractor who specialized in local historic houses and needed 10x the amount of permits. The reno ended up costing them 3x what they had originally planned and they were limited to the changes they could make as it had to stay "historic".

Just FYI

Old 02-06-2023, 09:01 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Good point; if your old home is in a historic district, you'll have to jump through hoops to make any changes to it. However, this rural place out in the country probably isn't.

Old 02-06-2023, 09:58 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Paranormal activity.

Old 02-06-2023, 10:10 AM

13,706 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Seriously considering buying a really old but historic farmhouse that has some issues. In my late 50s and this house sits in a bucolic and peaceful setting. Wanting out of the city life. Am I nuts? I'll have the inspections done etc etc. Anyone else happy with or regret buying an much older home in their later years? I'm on the fence. Anyway just looking for thoughts. Thank you kind people.
What does "Some Issues" mean? To one person it means that there are a few windows that are stuck shut and a leaky faucet and a closet door that won't stay on its track. To another person "some issues" means that the wood siding has rot and will need to be gone through and repaired/replaced as needed and repainted, the wiring is suspect to the point that you're anxious about using a microwave, significant rot, etc.

And everything in between.

Old 02-06-2023, 10:24 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
I remember hearing a nightmare story about a couple who bought a very old house to have renovated. During the renovation the contractor found a hidden dumbwaiter system original to the house. Somehow the historic society got involved and all the permits were removed. They had to bring in a new contractor who specialized in local historic houses and needed 10x the amount of permits. The reno ended up costing them 3x what they had originally planned and they were limited to the changes they could make as it had to stay "historic".

Just FYI
If it's a concern for you, it's definitely worth researching. This varies a lot from location to location. My house is in a historic district, and it's a meaningless title. My neighbors installed vinyl replacement windows, and used vinyl siding when they rebuilt the porch. (just on the low porch walls, but they're trying to convince their landlord to cover the rest of the house in vinyl siding, too). But, on the plus side, I can paint my house whatever colors I want.

Old 02-06-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post

Just FYI
Yes, in the UK, these structures are listed. In the UK a listed building is a structure of particular architectural and/or historic interest deserving of special protection. Such buildings are placed on one of the four statutory lists maintained by Historic England in England, Historic Environment Scotland in Scotland, Cadw in Wales, and the Northern Ireland Environment Agency in Northern Ireland. The term has also been used in the Republic of Ireland, where buildings are protected under the Planning and Development Act 2000, although the statutory term in Ireland is "protected structure".

A listed building may not be demolished, extended, or altered without special permission from the local planning authority, which typically consults the relevant central government agency, particularly for significant alterations to the more notable listed buildings. In England and Wales, a national amenity society must be notified of any work to a listed building which involves any element of demolition.

Exemption from secular listed building control is provided for some buildings in current use for worship, but only in cases where the relevant religious organisation operates its own equivalent permissions procedure. Owners of listed buildings are, in some circumstances, compelled to repair and maintain them and can face criminal prosecution if they fail to do so or if they perform unauthorised alterations. When alterations are permitted, or when listed buildings are repaired or maintained, the owners are often required to use specific materials or techniques.

It can be a huge problem for a homeowner, but on the whole, I am in favour of protecting such structures.

Old 02-06-2023, 02:57 PM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
i fell in love with a beautiful lot/location that had a home built in 1920. my husband was very hesitant to buy it and i insisted. it was a wreck! it took 4 years to rehab the house, had to rehab because of environmental constraints by the EPA, and 4x the budget we anticipated when we purchased the property. we were in our 40s with children at home when we bought it.

would i do it again? yep, if i was in my 40s. that land was our dream location and the house was beautiful when we finished the project. however, it took a tremendous amount of blood, sweat, tears and money to complete it. when the kids left, we sold it for a very good profit....we found another person to love that gorgeous location and the home. it sold in one day.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-06-2023 at 03:07 PM..

Old 02-06-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
i fell in love with a beautiful lot/location that had a home built in 1920. my husband was very hesitant to buy it and i insisted. it was a wreck! it took 4 years to rehab the house, had to rehab because of environmental constraints by the EPA, and 4x the budget we anticipated when we purchased the property. we were in our 40s with children at home when we bought it.

would i do it again? yep, if i was in my 40s. that land was our dream location and the house was beautiful when we finished the project. however, it took a tremendous amount of blood, sweat, tears and money to complete it. when the kids left, we sold it for a very good profit....we found another person to love that gorgeous location and the home. it sold in one day.
Love your story, and I would feel the same way.

Old 02-06-2023, 08:40 PM

13,686 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
IMO, only buy if either of these things are true

1. You are very handy & can spend hours & $$$ on fixing & repairing all over the house

2. You have millions you can use to pay people to keep repairing things.

This ^^^

You might not need millions, but you'll certainly need a lot of money set aside for repairs/maintenance.

If that not an issue and you love the property... buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate