Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 09:58 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,010,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
IMO, only buy if either of these things are true

1. You are very handy & can spend hours & $$$ on fixing & repairing all over the house

2. You have millions you can use to pay people to keep repairing things.
That's what I am thinking, too.

There will be a lot of issues, big and small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 10:04 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,710,841 times
Well, to update all my wife and I decided against it. It needs a new/better kitchen, bathroom, windows, electrical, four fireplaces relined and capped, not to mention a fly, mouse issues. Would have to seriously lowball the seller and I doubt he'd go for it. Just seems like too much to handle. I can do some things but I'm no contractor. Sad, because the setting of the house is spectacular and quiet. But I don't want to be house poor in my later years. Thanks for the great comments and photos. The search continues...

Old 02-08-2023, 10:12 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,342,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Well, to update all my wife and I decided against it. It needs a new/better kitchen, bathroom, windows, electrical, four fireplaces relined and capped, not to mention a fly, mouse issues. Would have to seriously lowball the seller and I doubt he'd go for it. Just seems like too much to handle. I can do some things but I'm no contractor. Sad, because the setting of the house is spectacular and quiet. But I don't want to be house poor in my later years. Thanks for the great comments and photos. The search continues...
Wow, I am sorry to hear it. Someone will buy the house at some point and restore it, and it will be a beauty. Wish it could be you, but c'est la vie.... Happy hunting.

Old 02-10-2023, 09:39 AM

227 posts, read 120,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Good decision. Imo we're still seeing inflated/VERY optimistic prices on properties requiring updates. Lower but not low enough leaving no room. If we see more correction plus inflation in both materials and labor, you're upside down very soon.

One exception: if it is a life goal, bucket list, stars have aligned, dam* the torpedos, can't sleep property, and it's been on the market a bit, give them your lowball offer presented with manners and math substantiating it. Who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate