Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:29 AM

656 posts, read 1,992,468 times

Advertisements

I'm a buyer and a seller. I have read all these wonderful posts of good thoughts and opinions. I've decided this --- after I have spent a good amount of time before each showing preparing my home for a potential buyer the LAST THING I want to do is take the chance that my staying in my home during the showing might cause a potential buyer to not consider my home. Do I like packing up my children and heading out --- NOPE! BUT I put my home on the market to SELL IT!!! I said "good-bye" to my own comfort when I DECIDED to sell my home. At this point in the game and in a buyer's market NO WAY am I about to miss a potential interested buyer if they MIGHT BE irritated that I am in or near the house. This thread is a good reminder to me that you cannot please everyone - so if there is a chance that you might offend someone by staying instead of leaving I'd rather keep EVERYONE happy!!! The other day I found a ice cream store I never would have found had I not left my house for a showing --- and we sellers know how necessary ice cream is during the long days/months of selling!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 11:59 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,812,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
I'm a buyer and a seller. I have read all these wonderful posts of good thoughts and opinions. I've decided this --- after I have spent a good amount of time before each showing preparing my home for a potential buyer the LAST THING I want to do is take the chance that my staying in my home during the showing might cause a potential buyer to not consider my home. Do I like packing up my children and heading out --- NOPE! BUT I put my home on the market to SELL IT!!! I said "good-bye" to my own comfort when I DECIDED to sell my home. At this point in the game and in a buyer's market NO WAY am I about to miss a potential interested buyer if they MIGHT BE irritated that I am in or near the house. This thread is a good reminder to me that you cannot please everyone - so if there is a chance that you might offend someone by staying instead of leaving I'd rather keep EVERYONE happy!!! The other day I found a ice cream store I never would have found had I not left my house for a showing --- and we sellers know how necessary ice cream is during the long days/months of selling!!!
This is too funny. I have 2 small chilldren, so we go for ice cream with every showing. My kids are having a great time. Me? Not so much

Old 07-01-2008, 12:17 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,812,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Hi Christeen....well first they asked if we would remove the turf...no problem it was expensive and will be glad to take it and I have a couple people that could use it. It's pretty common here, being desert and a resort area, lots of 2nd homes...so its not that unusual.

I have been personally trying to put out positive vibes, I only vent here in theeee forum, but we are going to vent to our agent tomorrow in person. I emailed him last week some nice pictures I had taken of the interior of the house, nothing.

Yes, same agent we were going to replace, but for the last 3 weeks we have been dealing with the grass sniffers so have been hanging on.

I cant wait to be on the buying end again..believe me now I know how to behave as a buyer.

sorry if I've been negative, but I also need to vent. I'm keeping a positive attitude with my kids, husband and everyone else. My neighbors are starting to annoy me asking me why my house hasn't sold. I wish I knew! I really don't know what else to don't other than give it away....geez

dogmom, it's your turn, then mine

Old 07-01-2008, 12:57 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,186,476 times
I haven't been home for my showings at this house, except for when they show up early <SHOCK> and then we exit out the side. I put out iced water and cups, cookies or some nibbles(no, not exlax brownies!) I have some toys and coloring books for little ones...and they get played with. So I don't think I have a bad vibe...I am just tired of living life like this and now that hubby got a job here again, I frankly don't give a rat's a&& what the buyers think any more. What you see if what you get.
I wonder of the buyers agents are even reading the info much less asking their clients what the heck they are looking for..NO negative feedback, just insane comments - oh they want spilt bedrooms. oh they want a big tub in the master, oh they want a 3 car garage, oh they don't want a corner lot, oh they don't want a basement, oh they want a pool...........Just a bunch of stupid stuff where they have wasted everyones time BECAUSE they can't read???? or what????
ugh..gotta go .another freaking showing....ta ta

BUT this could be the one!!!!!! LOL

Old 07-01-2008, 01:30 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,522,784 times
What about the agents who have no clue what they are talking about. One agent said to the pb that our pool was heated by gas, and then he said propane. Wrong it was electric. Another was told you could have a RV in the back. Not so. But we were told not to say anything.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Before I say this y'all know I'm right in the same boat as y'all are right? Same things happening (or not as the case may be) so I definately feel for everyone.
That being said I wonder if some of the attitudes of the buyers that we're seeing were created by us? By that I don't mean the actual people on this board but sellers as a group.

Remember before the recent downturn how buyers were treated? Having to not only bid at asking or over AND put down a huge deposit but also have to actually write an essay as to why you should be allowed to buy the house? Or the people who had to stand all night in the cold to enter a lottery just for the chance to bid on a house?
Or the sellers that ran the prices up just because for houses that should have been condemed?
I wonder if this is just blowback to some extent for what's gone on for the last few years.
I know it's no consolation to Dogmom or others going through torture but I tend to try and see what's motivating people which lets me understand them and blow it off. My wife just pops a couple of beers, works for her!

Old 07-01-2008, 04:38 PM

613 posts, read 1,018,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Remember before the recent downturn how buyers were treated?
Those buyers were US.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:41 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,673,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalk65 View Post
I agree with a bunch of what you are saying here. I have sold 5 homes and also dealt with the sales and home purchases of our childrens homes.
I can relate that most of the times we were not home.........but......with the realtors giving wrong times, and wrong information.......sometimes we were. I mean when they are at your front door saying I'm here with no phone call........Yikes.......
I can only say that I have liked meeting the owners a lot. I think one person on here said when they saw the dog in the yard and the kids playing out there.......it made them feel at home........especially when their kids were patting the dog and enjoying themselves.
It was "that" reason that they settled on the home. A comforting factor.
The one girl and husband that liked our pool in NJ just talked to us for a half hour about the pool, her children.......I could not get away actually.
The lady who pounded on her heart in my PA home saying " Whew, I have to have this home"........that was such a great moment.......seeing her joy. Its not all bad.........visiting with your buyers.
That being said........I will usually be out of the house, but I think it is just as easy to slip out the side door, as many have done for us. Like "where did they go?"
Believe me, yes......our comfort is gone. Its an everyday, no comfort thing.......LOL. No crumbs, no papers, no prints, no pinned up notices.....and sometimes no lunch, no dinner......no company. But, being friendly should never be wrong.......
I so enjoyed meeting a neighbor on a street I'd love to move to up by the lake.........already! What a sweetheart of a neighbor I'd have.......so if the home is too small I might just take it anyway. Its great to have good people around you.
It isn't the greatest of markets........but.........I'll keep staging and crossing my fingers.......Whatever will be will be. But, no running out ahead of time....that does not work. Time and time again....

Old 07-01-2008, 04:46 PM

656 posts, read 1,992,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
I haven't been home for my showings at this house, except for when they show up early <SHOCK> and then we exit out the side. I put out iced water and cups, cookies or some nibbles(no, not exlax brownies!) I have some toys and coloring books for little ones...and they get played with. So I don't think I have a bad vibe...,
I do nothing as far as leaving anything for them except a crystal clean home with the air conditioner blasting cold air. I figure I got in my car and "gave" them free access to my home and that is all they're getting from me.

Needless to say crazyma you have an EXCELLENT vibe.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:22 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,276,926 times
Ok I am not going to spill the beans about how I spent my LOOONNNG afternoon, suffice it to say it involved tequila and margarita mix, maybe a TAD too much tequila..lol....thought I was going to die, but I didn't, just ate some Del Taco tacos and a soda much better. I reallly don't drink, really I don't but we were both ticked off this morning and said what the heck it's noon somewhere.. He survived, I didn't. Well I wasn't going to make the bed today anyway just out of principal.

On to business..Ann is right, WE were those buyers 4 years ago, overbidding for a house that was a fixer, and before that on a waiting list like a lottery for a new home in SoCal. I guess now is the payback for that.

Hubby talked to agent about noon, he got in touch with the other agent, they are still interested..I think that's when I had the 2nd 'rita...anyway, won't do that again any time soon. Tomorrow is hubby's birthday and he wants to go for mexican food..ewww...

Brookdale, this is a good place for us to vent, we can't do it anywhere else, really and we are all in the same boat whether we are selling buying or an agent. Its a hard job all around..Ice cream would make it better, but a minute on the lips is forever on the hips!

Oh and we almost always put out cold bottles of water, it's really HOT here, just as a courtesy. Not much of an effort but I am a water drinker and it might make them sit down for a minute. Oh wait, last time that happened they wrote an offer on another house. Might have to rethink that strategy, or maybe put a dash of cuervo in there...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate