Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 08:51 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,920 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid, I lived in a house that had one home between us and the tressel. It's one of those things you get used to over time. The passing of the train at night would stir me from my sleep and I'd wake up briefly, but I'd fall back to sleep immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 11:08 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,375,392 times
No, no. I wouldn't do it again. The train crossing can be brutal. It does seem like the engineer is deliberately laying on the horn at 2am. I am stunned out of sleep sometimes, depending on what time I go to bed.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:30 AM

84 posts, read 333,821 times
I live four doors down from a freight train crossing. When we first moved here, I'd say the first couple weeks, we couldn't believe it. The horn woke us up in the middle of the night every night. We've lived here a year now and it does not wake us up ever. I guess it's just something we've gotten use to. It goes by several times a day and doesn't bother us.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Some of the most costly housing in Chicago are adacent to the elevated tracks.

In most suburban areas proximity to Metra is a good thing. Being adjacent is not.

There is nary a place in the greater suburban Chicagoland area where at some times of the day or night, you can't hear a comuter or freight train passing through the area.

Generally speaking, people buy homes adjacent to tracks because they cannot not afford the same home in a better location. When it comes time to resell, many of them forget that they are probably going to have to discount X % off similar homes in a better location. This combined with many buyers who will not consider such homes, make them tougher to sell.

Check out the CNR plans for the the EJE tracks to be fully informed.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:51 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
LOL! I'm thinking of the I Love Lucy episode when they were in the motel room next to the railroad tracs and every time the train passed, their beds moved to opposite sides of the room.

Persoanlly, I would avoid buying a house close to tracks mainly because of resale value.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:33 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Anyone here live close to train tracks? (Did I even word that correctly... LOL??)

I'm looking at some homes that have a train route maybe 2 blocks away.
Almost sure it is a freight train too.

Do you stay away from these homes or give them a chance?
For those that bought with train in the area, do you even notice it anymore?

thanx
In some towns, train tracks are a usual thing; and IMO that has to be taken into consideration. When I lived in North Jersey (aged 2-27) train tracks were a way of life, you couldn't get away from them. They were a block away from our house (freight line) then another block from that was the split for the commuter train. At one time they all used the freight track, eventually they closed the one station so we only had freight every now and then.

Did I hear it at night? Sure, even with the windows closed. The older I got the more it bothered me at night.

If you do decide to consider a house by the tracks, try to get the train schedule so you know what you're in for. Also go at different times of the day.

Depending on what type of town it is, the closer to the tracks, the less the house should cost but in a commuter town, that might be the opposite.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:17 PM

94 posts, read 763,443 times
I'm about 800 or so feet from a freight crossing (I am terrible at judging distances, but it's about a 4 minute walk) and I don't even notice it. Took about 2 days and I was oblivious. I'd pick a freight vs. commuter any day though - the freight maybe runs 2x a day, sometimes 3x. I grew up not far from a commuter and it was hourly from 5am to midnight. Noticed it a lot more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate