Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 05:28 PM

392 posts, read 1,374,774 times

Advertisements

Looking through some of the ads, why bother saying bring all offers? I would imagine that if someone is interested, they would make an offer regardless. Is this an act of desperation? It just doesnt make sense to me. Also, on the flip side, if someone likes a house but they feel its priced to high, why dont they bother making an offer, even if it is low? If you dont ask, you get nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 06:11 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavs View Post
Looking through some of the ads, why bother saying bring all offers? I would imagine that if someone is interested, they would make an offer regardless. Is this an act of desperation? It just doesnt make sense to me. Also, on the flip side, if someone likes a house but they feel its priced to high, why dont they bother making an offer, even if it is low? If you dont ask, you get nothing.
In our MLS, we get to put 288 characters in the Remarks. Gotta put something in there.
It may be a little lame, but it may be just what a Buyer needs to bring an offer and open negotiations.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:44 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I see a lot on overpriced listings. I think part of it is the agent doesn't want to recommend a price drop because the house wasn't well priced to begin with, and the sellers want an offer, any offer, to start the negotiation process.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
So does the absence of this language imply, the seller does not want an offer?

Like Silverfall said, this is the kind of stuff usually inserted on an overpriced listing.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:28 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
I would love to offer $5 for one, because that verbage to me looks like either the realtor or seller doesn't exactly know what they're doing.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
does not mean they gota take it it means they are betting after you offer they will counter and you will fold up. buyer fatigue is a big part of the game.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:58 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,926,587 times
I agree with the posts by Mike, Silverfall, and Middle-Age-Mom. But I'd like to add a little nuance; in a rapidly declining market there is a bit of price discovery going on. There is also the "I don't want to insult the seller with my offer" syndrome.
So some agents/sellers are waving the white flag saying "I want to sell but don't have a clue where to price".

Old 10-08-2008, 07:59 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
does not mean they gota take it it means they are betting after you offer they will counter and you will fold up. buyer fatigue is a big part of the game.
SO AGREE. When we finally found the house we liked we made an offer of $515K on a $540K priced home. They came back at $530K then we came back at $525K...Thier agent said that their breaking point was $527K and they couldn't go any lower but that she would present our offer. In a panic (b/c we were tired of looking and going through the back and forth) we just said $527K and got it over with. Looking back we should have held our ground b/c 1) it is/was a buyers market, 2) $2K is not that much of a difference and even if they couldn't afford it they probably could have come up with it and 3) there were so many updates the place needed

Anyway, we were just tired of looking and negotiating.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:53 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
I agree with the posts by Mike, Silverfall, and Middle-Age-Mom. But I'd like to add a little nuance; in a rapidly declining market there is a bit of price discovery going on. There is also the "I don't want to insult the seller with my offer" syndrome.
So some agents/sellers are waving the white flag saying "I want to sell but don't have a clue where to price".
I agree with that, and I just yesterday inserted that phrase on a listing. I think it's priced OK, but the sellers have had a hard time with a tenant that had to be evicted and the tenant messed them up financially. They are getting closer to a need to sell condition and I don't want anyone to be polite and not make an offer.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:19 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,992,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
There is also the "I don't want to insult the seller with my offer" syndrome.
I've experienced this. The house was beautiful and just barely overpriced. We shouldn't have been looking at it, but it was in our neighborhood so we stopped by. The owners gave us a tour (for over an hour!) and were very nice. We were in love. But again, it was out of our price range. It had been on the market for maybe 60 days, and we thought long and hard about making an offer in our range, but ultimately decided against it because we didn't want to insult the seller. After all, the house, in our judgment, was worth more than we could offer, the right buyer just hadn't come along yet.

If their listing would have said "will consider all offers," we would have submitted ours without a doubt. It sold 2 or 3 months later for maybe 5% under list, but significantly above what we were considering offering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate