Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 07:43 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
A buyer agent is a signed agreement between buyer and realtor which means there would be obligation between agent and seller.there was none.She would have been one to view property with buyer,make appointment.The realtor got check at closing for 3 percent.I refused from day one.I would have been obligated to pay something if she was buyer agent since my listing was written to pay fee.Buyer was only person involved in sale,realtor wrote paoerwork even though I had exact same NAR paperwork.Realtor obviously must have been involved in his finamce package.
Sorry? A buyer's Agent is an agent who represents a buyer. No paperwork is requred in some states though in others there must be a written agreement.

That agreement may require a fee to the Agent if a home is purchased for which no coop fee has been agreed to. Not required though.

A listing agreement may require that a commission be paid by the seller. No listing agreement than no commission unless negotiated as part of the sale.

An RE Agent may chose to work for a buyer under any terms they both find agreeable. But if the home is in the MLS the commission is owed by the listing agent to the buyers agent. It makes no difference how the buyer is acquired.

NAR does not supply paperwork. Local paperwork generally comes from the local association.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 07:06 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
So the seller pays the title search, title company and doc stamps? Then as the buyer, all you really need is an inspection and pay for the recording fee?
We were the buyer, we paid the closing lawyer $500 for title search/title examination and we paid the Recording fee (govt recording) ($16). (as well as also getting an inspection).

Old 12-12-2008, 07:26 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Default Sounds Like the Lawiyer is the Important Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
We were the buyer, we paid the closing lawyer $500 for title search/title examination and we paid the Recording fee (govt recording) ($16). (as well as also getting an inspection).
Thanks for the advice.

So it sounds to me like getting a good real estate lawyer will help in not paying extraneous fees to various agencies. And in today's market, getting the seller to pay some fees is not that difficult. Although I know that will probably happen to me on this end when I sell my place. With todays prices down, I really hate to have to pay the buyers closing costs, etc., as that comes right off the bottom line for me.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:45 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Thanks for the advice.

So it sounds to me like getting a good real estate lawyer will help in not paying extraneous fees to various agencies. And in today's market, getting the seller to pay some fees is not that difficult. Although I know that will probably happen to me on this end when I sell my place. With todays prices down, I really hate to have to pay the buyers closing costs, etc., as that comes right off the bottom line for me.
Yea, thus the great debate: Price the house at the lowest price or inflate the price a little so you can "give" to the buyer and they feel like they are getting a bargain.

I'm considering FSBO and I'm conflicted on which way to go. We have owned our home for over 20 years, it's been paid off for a good while, and houses in my neighborhood still sell quick. Unless we hit a depression, I can't imagine we won't make a decent profit from our home. I'm not out to rip anyone off but I don't want to give it away either. I've been telling all my neighbors and others in our town that my house will be on the market in a few months. Several homes in our neighborhood are sold to relatives or friends of people already living in our neighborhood.

I told someone I just want to price my house at a reasonable price. They said if I price it too low it will bring down the values of other homes in my neighborhood.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:29 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Thanks for the advice.

Location dependent. In the east you want an RE Lawyer. In most of the west a good RE Agent and escrow company. If FSBO you just go escrow company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate