Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 04:24 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post
MikeJ: Isn't your job to SELL the property as quickly as possible? I cannot imagine that a seller would want to extend the torture and inconvenience of having people traipsing through their house for months on end.
No. My role is not defined as selling the property "...as quickly as possible."

Any property can be sold quickly, at some price, and the seller has to buy into the listing price.
Quick Sale may override the need for best possible price, but that is the Seller's decision, not mine.

"Months on end" are not necessarily required to get a good price when selling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 04:30 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
A buyer who only sees "overpriced" homes is shopping out of their price range.
Pristine observation there, Mike!

Old 03-19-2009, 04:49 PM

291 posts, read 911,735 times
How do you know a home is over priced? Have you gone out into the market and compared properties and then compared like properties that have sold recently. A willing seller and a willing buyer in an open market are what determines value. I guess I should also add a willing appraiser and willing lender to that formula to bring it into today's status.
To answer saltzman143, our job is to do what the seller wants, because that's who we work for. Sometimes sellers aren't in a hurry to sell and just want to get the best price they can for their property. You statement about always pricing below the competition is usually found in a declining market, espcially one that's declining fast. It would be stupid in a stable market or increasing market, because the seller would be leaving money on the table. If the seller instructs their agent to follow that maketing scenario, then that's what the agent is to do.
In Denver we put "not a short sale" because we don't want buyers, who watch national shows about how bad the market is or get these get rich quick courses, to think they can come in and buy a home for fifty cents on the dollar. The other reason is as previously mentioned, that some buyers don't want to mess with short sales because of the time required. Our market in Colorado has stabalized and is showing improvements, except for the very high end.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
A buyer who only sees "overpriced" homes is shopping out of their price range.
Yep, that's pretty much it.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:58 PM

359 posts, read 1,119,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyweb View Post
"NOT A SHORT SALE!"

I am seeing more and more of this in listings:

"Not a short sale! Just a great deal from a seller who has priced for today's market!"

Of course, that is total BS is the property is overpriced, as most of them stilll are!

Interestingly enough I just saw this quote on a new listing and the home was absolutely priced to sell quickly. Based on the sub and the home I would have certainly assumed it would be a short sale. I am guessing it will sell quickly for close to if not full asking price. Didn't really seem like a gimmick to me. The realtor wants to make sure people like me who avoid short sales don't make assumptions when it really is an aggresively priced home.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryin2buy View Post
Interestingly enough I just saw this quote on a new listing and the home was absolutely priced to sell quickly. Based on the sub and the home I would have certainly assumed it would be a short sale. I am guessing it will sell quickly for close to if not full asking price. Didn't really seem like a gimmick to me. The realtor wants to make sure people like me who avoid short sales don't make assumptions when it really is an aggresively priced home.
Yep. You got it!

Old 03-19-2009, 05:38 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,507 times
Realtor gimmicks? How about this one:

Lately, in the free real estate booklets, certain realtors have whole page advertisements full of nothing but home pictures and big, bold slashes through them screaming "SOLD!!!!"

But what's not said is how long ago these homes were *SOLD!!!!* Why not try to create the illusion everybody's buying these days, so you should be too, right?

Old 03-19-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
Realtor gimmicks? How about this one:

Lately, in the free real estate booklets, certain realtors have whole page advertisements full of nothing but home pictures and big, bold slashes through them screaming "SOLD!!!!"

But what's not said is how long ago these homes were *SOLD!!!!* Why not try to create the illusion everybody's buying these days, so you should be too, right?
It is not to create the illusion tht everybody's buying.

It is to help create the illusion that the agent is moving property, and that folks should list with the agent.

It is nothing new at all. Been around for decades.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:59 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,507 times
Quote:
It is not to create the illusion tht everybody's buying.

It is to help create the illusion that the agent is moving property, and that folks should list with the agent.

It is nothing new at all. Been around for decades.
Well, if that were the case, don't you think the realtor's self-promoting advertisement costs would go farther in outlets intended for SELLERS and not BUYERS?

Funny how I didn't see these type of pages in the brochures when sales were brisk and the numbers of competing listing agents were at an all time high...

Old 03-19-2009, 06:56 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
Well, if that were the case, don't you think the realtor's self-promoting advertisement costs would go farther in outlets intended for SELLERS and not BUYERS?

Funny how I didn't see these type of pages in the brochures when sales were brisk and the numbers of competing listing agents were at an all time high...
That's because they had to use their space for actual unsold listings. With sales fewer for many agents, they do want to create the impression that they can move inventory in this market.

Sellers look at those books too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate