Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:31 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I always thought that realtor.com was NAR's site... .
BUT, REALTOR.com is not "the MLS"

The information in REALTOR.com is provided to it from the various MLS's around the country.

AND, not every listing is to be found on REALTOR.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 10:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
This would seem to be the old sense of entitlement working, wanting others to do the work of collecting and compiling the information into usable form and paying for the system to exist so that you can have it for free.

When those insisting on this are willing to donate all of their work product to the public for free, for no compensation whatsoever, then, perhaps, they can be taken seriously. Until that day, it's simply a matter of "but I WANT it, and you should GIVE it to me, because I DESERVE it, because I WANT it!"

Which didn't work real well when I was raising my kids, as it shouldn't, but apparently some kids' parents fell down on the job, based on what I'm seeing not only in this instance, but in general.

Try it in a store sometime. Or in a restaurant. Or, for that matter, wherever you happen to work, and see how far it gets you.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:11 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
BUT, REALTOR.com is not "the MLS"

The information in REALTOR.com is provided to it from the various MLS's around the country.

AND, not every listing is to be found on REALTOR.com
Thanks for completely missing my entire post.

I know it isn't and I know it doesn't... I'm suggesting that they get it to that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This would seem to be the old sense of entitlement working, wanting others to do the work of collecting and compiling the information into usable form and paying for the system to exist so that you can have it for free.

When those insisting on this are willing to donate all of their work product to the public for free, for no compensation whatsoever, then, perhaps, they can be taken seriously. Until that day, it's simply a matter of "but I WANT it, and you should GIVE it to me, because I DESERVE it, because I WANT it!"

Which didn't work real well when I was raising my kids, as it shouldn't, but apparently some kids' parents fell down on the job, based on what I'm seeing not only in this instance, but in general.

Try it in a store sometime. Or in a restaurant. Or, for that matter, wherever you happen to work, and see how far it gets you.
Did you seriously compare a RE transaction to a "store" or a "restaurant"?

I don't want your "system" and all the "hard work". I mean please, is it too much work to actually keep the database accurate? Isn't that part of the job you're SUPPOSED to be doing? That's it - maintain the data the way it's supposed to be and let NAR use some of the money you're paying THEM to help your industry with a real site.

You'd save time and money in the long run... But you haven't thought it through obviously. OMG someone will see "your hard at work!". lol This is data, not brick laying.

Don't think Zillow, Trulia, Redfin, etc are going to just give up... Keep your sense of entitlement to 6% and offer no modern advances for it. Do exactly what you did for the 6% 20 years ago and think you're the entitled one... BTW I don't care about realtor secret notes, "showing" times, and whatever else you're so protective of - keep em. All the things I mentioned beyond an "appraised value" should be correctly in a listing anyway - no extra work for you at all. The fact that I can't see things like days on market, detailed price/reduction history directly from a MLS feed is silly.

Not too long ago it used to be that addresses wouldn't be listed on customer MLS feeds online because of "safety"... So please don't get into background checks and such with access to the data - I am only talking about data points relevant to the transaction. This isn't rocket science - you know the info a good buyer wants.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:30 AM

17,419 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:

Did you seriously compare a RE transaction to a "store" or a "restaurant"?

I don't want your "system" and all the "hard work". I mean please, is it too much work to actually keep the database accurate? Isn't that part of the job you're SUPPOSED to be doing? That's it - maintain the data the way it's supposed to be and let NAR use some of the money you're paying THEM to help your industry with a real site.
Well, after all, you compared a house to a 1985 Olds Cutlass.

But this is a serious question - tell me why you don't believe realtor.com is accurate?

Old 07-25-2010, 08:25 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
...The fact that I can't see things like days on market, detailed price/reduction history directly from a MLS feed is silly. ...
Some MLS services do provide DOM and price reduction history to IDX feeds (ours does and anyone can view that data on my website). Each is independently owned and decides what data will be visible. Some are more tightly associated with NAR than others and take their guidance on data visibility. Ours is jointly owned by 4 separate Realtor shareholder associations. An agent is required to be a Realtor to use this MLS. There are other MLS's that do not require an agent to be a Realtor.

Data integrity is a major issue, but policing thousands of agents to insure they enter correct and timely data is a huge task. We rely heavily on self policing to report errors. On the whole it works well, but could be better.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Well, after all, you compared a house to a 1985 Olds Cutlass.

But this is a serious question - tell me why you don't believe realtor.com is accurate?
haha - I don't see where I compared it to cars. But if cars.com was getting 6% of every auto transaction I bet their site would be better. lol

The originating MLS data isn't accurate, so the feeds (i.e. realtor.com) pick up the incorrect or missing data and just perpetuate it. This isn't rocket science or new to anyone who works in a large IT shop... Sure the scope is huge, but so is the sheer amount of money funneling through the industry.

I'm not saying any of this will happen or even demanding it. I'm stating what I feel people are looking for in the future of searching residential property. The pieces are there and it just needs to be pulled together and brought to modern times. Of course this all would threaten realtors (especially long time ones) - it's something scary called modernization and that really bad word called "change".

Frankly, I've seen some of the MLS systems over the shoulder of realtors... even borrowed an ID to one from an agent friend when we were looking several years ago. How you are OK with how horrible the system is for what you pay for it is beyond me...

Old 07-25-2010, 09:31 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
haha - I don't see where I compared it to cars. But if cars.com was getting 6% of every auto transaction I bet their site would be better. lol

Where did you come up with the notion that ever listing is at 6%? That is factually untrue.

The originating MLS data isn't accurate, so the feeds (i.e. realtor.com) pick up the incorrect or missing data and just perpetuate it. This isn't rocket science or new to anyone who works in a large IT shop... Sure the scope is huge, but so is the sheer amount of money funneling through the industry.

The information is fed into the originating MLS by each indiviual listing office. The data is verified by each listing company.

Frankly, I've seen some of the MLS systems over the shoulder of realtors... even borrowed an ID to one from an agent friend when we were looking several years ago. How you are OK with how horrible the system is for what you pay for it is beyond me...

I trust your "friend" who "loaned" you his ID is no longer in the business as what they did is a MAJOR violation of their membership.
see above

Old 07-25-2010, 09:40 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:

I'm not saying any of this will happen or even demanding it. I'm stating what I feel people are looking for in the future of searching residential property. The pieces are there and it just needs to be pulled together and brought to modern times. Of course this all would threaten realtors (especially long time ones) - it's something scary called modernization and that really bad word called "change".

You do realize that this is something that could lose your "friend" their license in many states, and definitely their membership in the MLS system? Or do you just not care as long as you get what you want? I'm beginning to see why you might have a somewhat jaded viewpoint of agents, if your friend is what you're basing your judgment on. Fortunately, most agents know and abide by the laws of their state and the rules of their associations. Clearly you have a friend who doesn't.

As for the system we, the agents, pay for (and, yes, we do pay for it - how about you spent the time and money required to take the courses and get licensed and become an agent and pay the annual fees in order for the system to exist - never mind all the other myriad of expenses of being in business - now that would be fair, I'd think), some MLS systems are better than others, and all of them are tweaked regularly to improve them, but I'd be willing to bet what whatever industry you're in has systems that could use improvement.

By the way, back to the question, do you give away your work product for free to just anyone who wants it just because they want it? Which is to say, do you put your own money where your mouth is? Or is it just that other people should give you what you want but should pay you if they want your services/product? (Clearly your friend does, and the work product of all the other agents who have built the MLS system and pay for its existence).

The reference to cars and restaurants and such was regarding the attitude of entitlement that some have, that they should simply be given what they want because they want it. Usually when someone has that sense of entitlement, it extends to more than one area of their lives.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
see above
- I was speaking generally regarding commissions... How it changes anything I said because the average is slightly lower then 6%, I have no clue.

- The fact that you feel the data is "verified" is my entire point. It's horribly inaccurate.

- Oh boy, a "MAJOR violation". Don't worry yourself - there's no way for anyone to know but us. This happens more then you think.

Seriously, guys... The MLS is just a mildly secure database with a GUI front end for inputting data and doing SQL queries. There's nothing super magic about it. A company like Google hosts, maintains, and updates much higher quality software for FREE. It's not the 80s anymore.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You do realize that this is something that could lose your "friend" their license in many states, and definitely their membership in the MLS system? Or do you just not care as long as you get what you want? I'm beginning to see why you might have a somewhat jaded viewpoint of agents, if your friend is what you're basing your judgment on. Fortunately, most agents know and abide by the laws of their state and the rules of their associations. Clearly you have a friend who doesn't.

As for the system we, the agents, pay for (and, yes, we do pay for it - how about you spent the time and money required to take the courses and get licensed and become an agent and pay the annual fees in order for the system to exist - never mind all the other myriad of expenses of being in business - now that would be fair, I'd think), some MLS systems are better than others, and all of them are tweaked regularly to improve them, but I'd be willing to bet what whatever industry you're in has systems that could use improvement.

By the way, back to the question, do you give away your work product for free to just anyone who wants it just because they want it? Which is to say, do you put your own money where your mouth is? Or is it just that other people should give you what you want but should pay you if they want your services/product? (Clearly your friend does, and the work product of all the other agents who have built the MLS system and pay for its existence).

The reference to cars and restaurants and such was regarding the attitude of entitlement that some have, that they should simply be given what they want because they want it. Usually when someone has that sense of entitlement, it extends to more than one area of their lives.
Listen - you're arguing in circles. Don't over complicate what the MLS is. You keep acting like I'm infringing on you personally and using the word "entitlement" like I'm some 4th grader.

You are the intellectual property - your experience, license, and consultation are what we're paying for. In today's world, everything is the internet - think about how your advertising budget has changed over the years/decades. Then think about what the MLS has provided through that entire timespan. Can you honestly say it's kept up to the times?

If everything you talk about from your "myriad of expenses of being in the business" all rolls up to your MLS ID then I kind of feel sorry for you... My friend still got his commission, he still was there at the closing with me. What did I "take from him" by seeing the raw MLS data?! Again, keep in mind I'm not interested in getting your level of access. I'm just interested in having truly relevant and accurate data represented in the MLS feeds. The fact that we have to pick up a phone and/or contact listing agents because the data isn't available is the issue. Your old school and knee jerk reaction to modernize the system is what will end up hurting you in the long run... If customer service was a top priority, I would think that the suggestions I'm making are reasonable. It's not entitlement - it's getting with the times.

Lastly, yes - I regularly help my friends with advising on things related to my job and experience... Just like they help me. But I'm not in a sales field that relies 100% on commissions so I guess it doesn't apply to your argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate