Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what temperature do you keep your thermostat in the summer months?
70 7 20.00%
80 3 8.57%
76 8 22.86%
82 4 11.43%
78 7 20.00%
74 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 10:35 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,378,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Hey Tex...this is fun sharing your "sons" homecoming. Take anything you wish with a grain of salt, as you are the new mommy. I will try to help. A really good site is Yorkietalk.com, biggest Yorkie, Morkie site on the web. Help at your fingertips and good reading. Good books are the for the life of me I can't think of the name, all the dumb series they do on every subject. The Yorkshire Terrier was a good read. I checked a lot of dog books out from the library as I always feel compelled to read up on the breeds I get and had never had the smaller ones until recently. Watson will fit Yorkie and Maltese characteristics. Although from his picture he looks all York to me now. They can change.

It sounds like he is a little nervous which is normal. Did your breeder discuss the low blood sugar thing with you? If you found he wasn't eating at all you may want to put a small drop of karo syrup on his tongue at intervals during the day. They also sell the stuff at the petstore called Nutrical for the same purposes. They can go into shock especially the tiny ones, if their blood sugar gets too low, but you probably have nothing to worry about there. How much does he weigh? You could try hand feeding him a little. I wouldn't worry too much at this point. My Pom Peanut gobbled up the food after he played on the first night but then became a picky eater and I did some hand feeding. You can also use a dropper to make sure they take some water.

I didn't pee pad train mine but used an x-pen in the living room with a remnant of vinyl flooring under it so I could clean up any accidents with those pet sprays that counteract their waste smells. Anytime I couldn't watch or hold them they would go in the xpen. Then at regular intervals, sometimes every hour, I would take them outside and say "go potty". Some people use treats after they go, some just praise. If I caught them in the act in the pen it was "NO" pick 'em up, outside "go potty". Even if they had already went, took them out. If you just find the mess in the pen it is too late and don't scold the dog, just stay on task. It becomes a repetitive thing and with the smaller breeds is predicted to take a longer training period. As they progress more and more they would stay out of the pen more and more.

I always had mine sleeping next to my bed in the crate. Mine I think only had a poop accident in the crate once or twice, pee several times, but you would be surprised how quick they learn. They don't like to be soiled where they sleep. I used something easy to wash at first in the crate, a blanket. They will be sure to ruin a bed so make sure it is washable if you give them one.

I always took mine out before I put them to bed around 9 and I'm usually up fairly late so i would do another trip before I went to bed. First thing in the am, don't let their feet touch the floor take them to their spot. I did end up putting CoCo in bed with me the first few nights as she cried too much in her crate. Peanut was always a quiet perfect boy in his crate when it was bedtime. They will pull at your heart strings at times and whine about being in the crate during the day or gated, stay strong. They can go much longer times now and this method worked great for me.

I will confess that I used the dog diapers on my Yorkie for a period of time because it was too hard to keep her in the xpen with Peanut being allowed out of it. She would have little tiny dribble accidents in her diaper at first and then less and less until less and less diaper use. I tell ya that girl only took a dump in her diaper once and that was it. Key thing is you don't want their pee/poop smell all over house because they will go back to those spots. Biggest thing is to watch for signs yourself that they need to go, (scurrying around, prancing, jumping on you, you will learn your dogs signals) and be consistant. If you are pee pad training it would be similar to what I described except you would be taking them to the pad at regular intervals, using your catch phrase, "go potty" praising etc. It may be harder for you because I was home with them and you will be at work which I don't know how you plan to handle, as far as how long will dog be left alone, but I do crate my dogs for their own safety even now when I am gone. If I feel I will be gone a longer time I put them in xpens which you will be doing I gather or gated.

I hope I could help Sounds like Watson is a keeper
What an AWESOME post--you ROCK! I need to randomly rep so I can start repping you again!

Old 08-14-2009, 10:48 PM

OMG!! I just took him outside and I had to sit there for awhile, but then he finally pee'ed!!! He will NOT eat!! ...not even a treat being hand fed to him...so I just lavished lots of praise on him!! I am going to worry about hypoglycemia now!

I think I am going to put him in his crate and bring it into my bedroom for the night! I put a pee pad over his bed! OK...good night all! Gold you ROCK!! I will copy that post and print it so I can constantly refer to it!

Old 08-14-2009, 10:54 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,598,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
OMG!! I just took him outside and I had to sit there for awhile, but then he finally pee'ed!!! He will NOT eat!! ...not even a treat being hand fed to him...so I just lavished lots of praise on him!!

I think I am going to put him in his crate and bring it into my bedroom for the night! I put a pee pad over his bed! OK...good night all! Gold you ROCK!! I will copy that post and print it so I can constantly refer to it!
Thx girl you ROCK too!!!! You're gonna need your sleep Reps appreciated of course I'm not gonna lie

Awesome he peed. I always used lots of verbal praise, treats just make em poop more. Sweet picture of him and the Mountain dog...how cool is that!!!!

Old 08-14-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Oh that is just precious!
Thanks Barb!

Joy: I need to save that Bengals pic for posting when we play them later in the season.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:17 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,598,942 times
Joy I wanted to compliment you on that Bengels (sp) suck picture...how appropriate a Yorkie was wearing it. That was so damn cute! You are so thoughtful in your posts and that was an especially good one. I hear you about having to cut the ties with some family members if need be...it can actually be good for ones mental health!

Enjoyed reading everyone elses "bad" mother stories Like my mom once had the audacity to say to me life goes on...and it does.

Tambre best of luck with your showing.

Sweet dreams special ladies

Old 08-15-2009, 05:47 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,025,198 times
Good morning all. wonder how tex's night went. our first night with our girl, she last 5 minutes in the crate. my husband couldnt bear her crying. so she's been sleeping in our bed ever since.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:41 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,278,169 times
Stoy, thats how we ended up with BED DOGS, lol

Old 08-15-2009, 06:56 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,350,525 times
I don't even know where to start. My kids and I went to Marshalls yesterday and my daughter ended up having a freak accident there. I still am shaking as I write... she is OK ....I had her right next to me about an inch away from me and my son was in the cart..They were both in the cart *way too small* and she was with me by the tennis socks.. I turned my head and she turned at me and screamed so hard..I looked at her and thought what did she do....all of a sudden blood started pouring out of her eye...I almost fell over..she had walked right into the metal long posts that hold up the socks. I thought she lost her eye because the blood was everywhere and wouldn't stop. I screamed out call 911...It wouldnt stop bleeding. We rushed her up to the front and the paramedics were called and got there within 5 minutes. Everyone was saying omg.. I think the pole must have gone right into the middle of her eye. I was freaking out and 2 women told me to calm down for my daughter....etc..which I understand since she would pick up on this. Took her by ambulance...the bleeding had stopped in about 5 minutes.. I never prayed so hard in my life. one thing is an arm or leg...but your eye.omg. I am sitting here in tears. The medic said the eye itself didn't have any burst blood vessels so that was a good sign. I kept holding fingers up how many fingers I had...and she got them right along with knowing her name..bday..that calmed me down knowing that. Poor Noah was saying Mia got a bad boo boo...... My hub had to drive about 130 miles to get to us (since he was at work then on top of that drive another 30 to get to the hospital *which wasn't in my area" it was about 20 min. south of where we live.

I saw a small piece of skin in her eyelashes and thought it came from her lid....sure enough...what saved her is her eyelid and prob. the way she hit it grazed the lid with that metal frickin post....so it was the lid that was all the superficial bleeding.... They urgent cared her/fast tracked her...the one RN said he could see she was going to be allright when he looked at it..I seriously thought she was going to lose her eye...by the Grace of God she didnt and has some major guardian angels around her.. so they gave her bacitran and I will put it on 3 times a day...they irrigated her eye with some saline and looked with the lighted scope around her eye...and they said there was no damage to the eye itself. It was something out of ER or something.........surreal. then I thought I should have left earlier but what if ---my husband said life happens you could have gone sooner and gotten into a car accident....or something. She was an inch away from me. I slept about 2 hrs. last night. I kept checking on her....and she was OK... I know kids are super resilient but that was one scare I never want again.
Her lid is really swollen and they said she will prob. bruise in a day or two.. We are going away to NY for the week....and they said it was ok to travel...
I just want to put safety goggles on her and an incredible hulk suit so she wouldnt get hurt again. I felt the blood drain from my body...it was the worst feeling ever..
thank God she is ok...I will follow up with Primary when I get back..they said a week to 10 days for the doc.. I asked about an eye doc but the NP told me no damage done to the eye just the lid...

Please say a prayer all for her....you guys are the best support...
Tex I almost called you last night but remembered you were at work.. and it was 1130p --I had to drive my car home and Scott had the kids in his car....

Life is precious..That is all I have to say. I love you all. All I could do is keep hugging my kids.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:07 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,278,169 times
Anne. OMG that is horrible, I am sooo glad twinnie is ok..take a deep breath..ok you know you can call Auntie Barb anytime..I will get my # to you..I can't tell you the stuff my boys went through and did to themselves..we survive it. There is one incident that I still cry about my Scott when he was about 12...and he is 28 now..Will share later because I will cry just thinking about it and i need to compose myself but he is ok and she will be too...

Hang in there, life IS precious and something always happens to put it in perspective..

love you sweetie..

Old 08-15-2009, 07:11 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,350,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Anne. OMG that is horrible, I am sooo glad twinnie is ok..take a deep breath..ok you know you can call Auntie Barb anytime..I will get my # to you..I can't tell you the stuff my boys went through and did to themselves..we survive it. There is one incident that I still cry about my Scott when he was about 12...and he is 28 now..Will share later because I will cry just thinking about it and i need to compose myself but he is ok and she will be too...

Hang in there, life IS precious and something always happens to put it in perspective..

love you sweetie..
Thank you Barb. You are too sweet. I am going to be running around her and not on for the rest of the day but know it means a lot having you all here.....through ups and downs. Kids are resilient I swear.... I don't want you crying too... thank you so much...
Love you too Barb!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate