Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2009, 05:15 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times

Advertisements

With today's pathetic interest rates it seems like it makes more sense to put my extra cash into my house. I have about $30k that I can either pay off my house with or invest for the longer term. Do the low interest rates make it smart to pay your debt down instead of invest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 05:24 PM

75 posts, read 307,022 times
Just a quick take...if you pay off your mortgage and your payments were 900-1000 per month...in 3 years you would have saved or could save $30,000(roughly). Hopefully gaining equity in your home as well...yes hopefully.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:54 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
First I'd pay off any credit card debt or other loan. Then, I'd look at investing in local real estate. Interest rates are low and prices are more realistic.

Only if I was a year or two from retirement, would I consider paying off my personal house.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:51 PM

190 posts, read 413,167 times
It all depends on whether you think you can do better investing in something than the guaranteed 5% (or whatever your mortgage rate) you would "earn" on prepaying your loan. From an asset allocation perspective, prepaying your mortgage is a conservative investment akin to corporate bonds. If you already have exposure to stocks but not much in fixed income it could be a good idea. It sure beats CD and Treasury rates these days. This is assuming you don't need the $30k to be liquid and you have a stable income. Another thing is that any capital gains you have would be taxed at the capital gains rate, so you would have to get more like 6% return on your investment to beat paying your mortgage principle.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:22 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,784,543 times
I agree with the other posters.

If you have the extra cash, (and are still very liquid after paying down the mortgage), it's always best to pay off debt, starting with the highest interest debts first.

So if you have credit card debt, pay that off first. Than start considering paying down the mortgage principal, assuming you maintain your liquidity cash cushion.

So many people get themselves in a bind when they lose that cushion.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I always like to maintain 24 months of living expenses cash (and this excludes my taxable investment accounts, and this also excludes my retirement accounts).

Old 07-28-2009, 05:37 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
With today's pathetic interest rates it seems like it makes more sense to put my extra cash into my house. I have about $30k that I can either pay off my house with or invest for the longer term. Do the low interest rates make it smart to pay your debt down instead of invest?
Well I don't know what your mortage rate is or the CD rate but I assume the mortage rate is higher than the CD and it would be in most cases. It makes sense to pay off your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate