Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:16 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,787,214 times

Advertisements

The 10 fastest-growing states for 2007 are:
  1. Nevada +2.9%
  2. Arizona + 2.8%
  3. Utah
  4. Idaho
  5. Georgia
  6. North Carolina
  7. Texas
  8. Colorado
  9. Wyoming
  10. South Carolina
Florida grew only 1.07 percent, making it number 19

Michigan lost 30,500 residents, Rhode Island lost 0.3 percent

Just food for thought,

Bill

Last edited by Captain Bill; 12-28-2007 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: Edited html tags out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 07:27 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,327,077 times
So, Bill - when do you think this influx of population will start to help the AZ housing market? Are you starting to see any signs of improvement down in Phx? I'm hoping your market improves by summer, because that's when we start to get folks from the desert looking into summer cabins in the pines of Prescott.

Is some of the new housing inventory in Phx starting to dwindle yet?

btw, I was a little surprised about NV being #1. I thought I'd heard that many people were moving out of the Las Vegas area, but evidently not so.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:32 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,148,957 times
You wouldn't by any chance have the raw # of population growth in Florida during 05-06 would you? Even at only 1.07% growth that equtes to a tad over 3700 more people in florida a week.

I'm just trying to find a silver lining in the the dark clouds for us here in FL

Old 12-28-2007, 08:38 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,737,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTraub View Post
You wouldn't by any chance have the raw # of population growth in Florida during 05-06 would you? Even at only 1.07% growth that equtes to a tad over 3700 more people in florida a week.

I'm just trying to find a silver lining in the the dark clouds for us here in FL
Silver lining? How about this...

1. Still way above national average for growth

2. Continued growth from foreigners due to weak dollar

3. Many retirees still moving there

4. Economy is still strong..

How's that?

Old 12-28-2007, 08:43 PM

Greg - any chance of seeing some lower taxes and insurance costs there in Florida? The FL folks who've been talking to me say those 2 things are killing them and that's why they're looking to move (eventually, when the market picks back up).

Otherwise, I would think FL would remain a retirement destination. I feel bad for you with the recent hurricane years. It's just like earthquakes in California. It's fresh on people's minds right now, but probably after a year or two of good weather, it won't be such a deterrent.

If they could just come up with some plan to ease the tax and insurance burden I think that would really be an incentive for people to stay/relocate to Florida.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:06 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,514,736 times
Default don't get it.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
The 10 fastest-growing states for 2007 are:[list=1][*]Nevada +2.9%[*]Arizona + 2.8%
I still don't understand why these two markets are still hot. Hasn't anyone figured out that in the long run that the water is going to become a major concern in these areas? I just don't get it guys. Maybe I'm just missing something?

Quote:
[font=Arial]Michigan lost 30,500 residents, Rhode Island lost 0.3 percent
Actually I'm hot on Michigan in about 2 years I figure it's time to buy. Basically a buy bargain basement scheme and ride out the bad times for a while (long while if I need to.) I just see more of an opportunity in those areas people are ignoring or running away from. But Hey I'm a contrarian by nature

Old 12-28-2007, 09:17 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,931,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTraub View Post

Around 35,000 Americans moved to Florida from elsewhere in the U.S.
http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2007/12/27/01/422-pop_growth.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-28-2007, 09:18 PM

403 posts, read 1,170,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
...I was a little surprised about NV being #1. I thought I'd heard that many people were moving out of the Las Vegas area, but evidently not so.
Fewer people are moving to Vegas and a greater number are leaving than in the past - so what you've heard is not incorrect - but net growth is still positive, albeit slower than previously.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:18 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,947,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
btw, I was a little surprised about NV being #1. I thought I'd heard that many people were moving out of the Las Vegas area, but evidently not so.
Oh yes Gretchen, there's lots more to Nevada than Las Vegas. The entire dynamic is what is showing in the ranking. It includes the continued net migration into Sin-City along with the attraction of Northern and Western Nevada.

The problem is that too many people only think of Las Vegas when they hear "Nevada." It's not unlike people thinking that Los Angeles is the be-all/end-all of Southern California, it's not. It's also similar to people thinking that New York City is the same as New York State, it's not. There's more to SoCal than LA; there's more to New York than the City of NY; and there's more to Nevada than LV.

There's another good sized city in Nevada that has its own attractions, other than Las Vegas, which will add to the ranking. It's known as the Truckee Meadows, which includes Reno/Sparks.

Reno has had it's real estate challanges just like much of the country. Yet it, as well as other surrounding smaller towns like Minden, Incline Village (Lake Tahoe), and even Carson City/County, still provide an attraction to many California ex-patriots, other retirees, and business owners seeking a business-friendly environment. Although things have slowed, there's still been more people moving in than people moving out.

Also, even with Las Vegas' real estate drama of late, it has still maintained a net population increase from what I've read. Although I'm sure not everyone can or will be able to commit to the home ownership cycle, some are still moving in and buying homes.

So, it doesn't surprise me that Nevada is on top of the list for 2007. I could also see it easily remaining in one of the top three spots for the foreseeable future. What has attracted people in the past, remains the same today, and much of the state has yet to reach the point of saturation.

So, please remember four things . . .
  • 1) Las Vegas isn't the definition of Nevada,
  • 2) There's more to the Nevada than that LA suburb down in the south of the state,
  • 3) There remains some real good social, recreational, and economic reasons for calling Nevada home, and,
  • 4) It's pronounced Ne-vaa-da, not Ne-vah-da.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth View Post
So, please remember four things . . .
  • 1) Las Vegas isn't the definition of Nevada,
  • 2) There's more to the Nevada than that LA suburb down in the south of the state,
  • 3) There remains some real good social, recreational, and economic reasons for calling Nevada home, and,
  • 4) It's pronounced Ne-vaa-da, not Ne-vah-da.
Of course to a former midwesterner it will always be Ne-vaaaaaa-da Thanks for the insight about the NV popularity. I have family in the Reno area, and I had thought that market was pretty slow, too; but it's got a lot going for it, so I wouldn't think it would stay down for too long.

Personally, I'm looking for any area that has great "desirability" factors to rebound more quickly than other areas of the country. . . that is as long as there's not too many new builds before some of the excess inventory gets depleted first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate