Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 08:42 AM

23 posts, read 86,952 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm having an inspection done on a new home in the Dallas suburbs, but the appliances won't be put in until very close to the closing date. The builder doesn't want them to get stolen. I still have a while before then, is it ok to go ahead with the inspection even though the appliances won't be there to inspect?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 08:46 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I would think it OK for inspection.

Surely you have a warranty on the appliances and the utilities to make them function, and can check operation on your final walk through prior to closing?

But, make sure they are on site for your appraisal!

Old 01-29-2010, 08:51 AM

23 posts, read 86,952 times
Yes, the appliances will be under warranty.

Why would they be needed for the appraisal?

Old 01-29-2010, 09:20 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times
So that their value can be included in the appraisal, I imagine.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:35 AM

3,072 posts, read 8,415,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_engineer08 View Post
Hello!

I'm having an inspection done on a new home in the Dallas suburbs, but the appliances won't be put in until very close to the closing date. The builder doesn't want them to get stolen. I still have a while before then, is it ok to go ahead with the inspection even though the appliances won't be there to inspect?

Thanks!
Normal kitchen appliances are not a big issue for an inspection. Just make sure your Inspector is aware of appliances types to be installed and anything out of the ordinary. The Inspector can check for potential installation condition issues during your inspection. Your Inspector should also provide you with a list of items for you to look at when the appliances are installed to make sure no issues are present after installation. They are easy things you can check for.

Obviously the major appliances such as manufactured fireplace firebox, heating and cooling equipment, water heater, etc., should all be in place for the inspection as well as additional items such as sprinkler system controls, etc.

If you have any questions give me a shout!

Old 01-29-2010, 01:47 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_engineer08 View Post
Yes, the appliances will be under warranty.

Why would they be needed for the appraisal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
So that their value can be included in the appraisal, I imagine.
You may find that the appraiser will say the home is not completed to contract specs, or not habitable if appliances are missing, particularly if you have a sales agreement that indicates appliances.

I had this recently, where a cooktop was stolen and I pressed the builder to get the new one in before the appraiser arrived. On the advice of the lender, who sternly warned me to make it happen.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:22 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
The only appliance that might have an impact on the inspection is the dishwasher. Have to make sure it is connected to the HOT water supply, and the drain line is properly installed, and that it is secured to the cabinet or counter top.

The range outlet can be checked for proper wiring, so thats not really an issue. The anti tilt bracket will need to be installed, but thats easy for you to check out yourself.

Microwave hood, needs to be checked to be sure the vent duct was installed properly, and its not just venting into the cabinet bottom above it. They can vent to the exterior, or a recirculating style that vents out the front louvers.

Refrigerator and ice maker lines are also very easy to check yourself.
You should be good to go.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:39 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
If your lender insists that the appliances be in for the appraisal, you can ask him that they make it a condition on funding only. This is done very often. The appraiser comes back the day of closing and takes a picture of the appliances and they're sent to the underwriter.

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate