Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 06:32 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,854 times

Advertisements

When picking a few real estate agents to see which one fits your needs and which one you like....to start with do you choose an office first and then email the whole office or pick an office and then pick an agent to email?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 06:50 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Most people start with referrals from friends and co-workers.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:51 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
Yep. That's the only way you'll get a true feel. You can call an office if you like, but I know there are both good and bad agents in my office. There are in EVERY office. Get a referral. If you don't know anyone to get a referral from, look for a top producer in your area, because if they're one of the top producers, they're probably doing something right. It's very hard for a bad agent to be ranked among the top.

Look at your local business journal rankings if nothing else.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:49 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,922,371 times
If you have already been prequalified by a loan officer, as for their recommendation (if they are in your community). I refer buyers to realtors on a regular basis.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Yep. That's the only way you'll get a true feel. You can call an office if you like, but I know there are both good and bad agents in my office. There are in EVERY office. Get a referral. If you don't know anyone to get a referral from, look for a top producer in your area, because if they're one of the top producers, they're probably doing something right. It's very hard for a bad agent to be ranked among the top.

Look at your local business journal rankings if nothing else.
Top producers do something better than the rest.....they persuade sellers to list with them.

Some so called top producers in my area have not closed a sale in almost 2 years.

The best buyer's agent may not be the best listing agent and vice -versa.
A terrific agent in 2005 used by your neighbor may or may not be so terrific in this market.

Many agents tout their stats.....averaging 99% of list price, blah, blah, blah. It's meaningless information unless you know the original asking price. What you need to know is the original asking price and compare that to the closed sale price.

Local newspapers and web sites are used by agents to promote themselves as #1. Believe them all. The best agent for you is the one who makes you#1.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:42 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Top producers do something better than the rest.....they persuade sellers to list with them.

Some so called top producers in my area have not closed a sale in almost 2 years.

The best buyer's agent may not be the best listing agent and vice -versa.
A terrific agent in 2005 used by your neighbor may or may not be so terrific in this market.

Many agents tout their stats.....averaging 99% of list price, blah, blah, blah. It's meaningless information unless you know the original asking price. What you need to know is the original asking price and compare that to the closed sale price.

Local newspapers and web sites are used by agents to promote themselves as #1. Believe them all. The best agent for you is the one who makes you#1.
To be a top agent, do you not have to have the numbers to back it up? By top producer, I meant agent that's closed a great deal of sales. Not one that just has a lot of listings.

The local business journals actually list the top 50 Realtors each year, according to sales closed. There's usually not a bad Realtor in the bunch. I wasn't referring to looking at ads.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:11 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,137 times
We drove by a house we liked a year ago and the agent happened to be there, just sending off a couple who were looking at the house. We liked him and stayed in touch with him for A YEAR. When we got our $ in order and had the down payment and what have you, we called him. He referred us to his wife, who we loved even more than we loved him!

Pretty sure we got really lucky.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:11 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,999 times
I got lucky too, we went with the guy who called us back. That's right, apparently things were SO hopping in late november (roll eyes) that many realtors did not need our business and never gave us the time of day. I've actually been told that's common here, though I don't get why. Anyway, the realtor who did call us back turned out to be great-- hardworking, obviously-- since he was willing to call us back

I agree with what you all are saying about top producers vs top listers. There is an agent here who's name seems to be all over the place, but I have to wonder how his actual #s are, he never takes any photos of anything except the front of the house (thanks, I can already see that part), usually a crooked photo too, and he has no website, etc etc, yet he has so many listings, his name is everywhere. I must be missing something here....

Old 04-03-2010, 06:40 PM

274 posts, read 709,118 times
I think our local association allows one to use Top Producer for a year after qualification, but it seems that a lot of agents use it once he/she achieves it. Especially in the last few years, many former top producers were taken aback by the changes in the marketplace and it took them some time to reorient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
To be a top agent, do you not have to have the numbers to back it up? By top producer, I meant agent that's closed a great deal of sales. Not one that just has a lot of listings.

The local business journals actually list the top 50 Realtors each year, according to sales closed. There's usually not a bad Realtor in the bunch. I wasn't referring to looking at ads.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:43 PM

274 posts, read 709,118 times
We did the same thing for a year and a half. Our agent kept in touch, waited us out, we saw six houses and made an offer. Now that I work with him on a regular basis as an agent, I remind him how nice we were to work with . Truly, sometimes I think it's all about the trust and the relationship with a competent individual. And, for the most part, I love my clients too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
We drove by a house we liked a year ago and the agent happened to be there, just sending off a couple who were looking at the house. We liked him and stayed in touch with him for A YEAR. When we got our $ in order and had the down payment and what have you, we called him. He referred us to his wife, who we loved even more than we loved him!

Pretty sure we got really lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate