Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 05:07 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times

Advertisements

I cook my turkey and stuffing (separately) the day before I'm serving it, at 350F for however many hours the traditional way calls for. I also cook it breast side down to keep it juicy.

After it cools, I pour off the juice to keep for gravey, flip the turkey over, then I cut through the skin along the breast bone, slide my thumbs down to separate them from the bone, and take out both breasts whole. I place them into another smaller roasting pan making sure the skin covers them to keep them moist. Then I separate the drumbsticks, wings and other parts, carefully keeping the larger parts together and the skin on. This all goes into the smaller roasting pan, along with a bit of the juice. Then I just pop it into my fridge to reheat the next day.
It's so simple to reheat the bird the next day for 1 hour at 300F. The pieces are ready to go directly onto a serving plate and the breasts are ready to be sliced. No, it isn't dried out at all.

I hit upon a brilliant idea this year and can't believe I didn't think of it before: most people love the dark meat and there never seems to be enough to go around, so yesterday in the poultry section at the grocery store I bought a package of two turkey thighs and a package of two turkey wings. I froze them, and will roast them along side the bird so there will be plenty to go around this year.

Does anyone else like the Pope's nose? We flip for who gets it. Gotta love that fatty, tasty piece of butt lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 06:19 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Two extra tips for this process.

Buy a leave in thermometer that has the digital read out wired to the outside of the oven so you don't have to open it up until the end.

Second when I have done this the few times in the last 30 years I've been cooking turkeys, as I usually smoke cook mine, I preheat the oven to 550 usually the max and cook the bird uncovered breast side up for the first 30 minutes then flip bird over breast side down, turn down heat to 225, cover and letter rip tater chip.

Browning the breast at the end is up to you but I've never done it using this method, seems pointless to me.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:31 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
...Does anyone else like the Pope's nose?...
Hayulll no!!! It contains the uropygial gland that produces the bird's preening oil <eeehhhhhrrrrp...>.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes