Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 03:45 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,790 times

Advertisements

Great thread Beretta! Thanks!

Here is the marinade I use for London Broil. It never fails for rave reviews!

1.5 - 2 lb London Broil
1/2 c lite soy sauce
4 cloves minced garlic
2 T olive oil
2 T ketchup
2 T lemon juice
1 t dried oregano
1 t ground black pepper
1 t ground ginger

mix all ingredients together in a small bowl except meat.

pierce meat with fork all over, both sides

place meat in large resealable bag (like ziploc) and pour marinade over meat.

refrigerate at least 6-8 hours - overnight.

when ready to grill (or how ever you like to cook it), remove meat and discard marinade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 04:15 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,790 times
Here are two more recipes that are requested often.

Chicken with Pasta Primavera
4-5 generous servings
(I think I got the basic recipe from Campbell's and then modified it a bit)

1.5 lbs chicken, cut in strips
3/4 box penne pasta (Rienzi Penne works very nicely with this as its larger than most)
2 cans 98% FF cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 can chicken broth
3-4 cloves minced garlic
1/4 c white wine
3 T lemon juice
2 T olive oil
3/4 t dried basil
1/8 t black pepper

1. heat oil in large skillet over medium heat
*put water on for pasta too, and cook according to directions then set aside
2. saute chicken and minced garlic until almost cooked through
3. Add 1/2 can broth and peppers - stir until hot
4. Add remainder of broth, soups, wine, lemon juice, and spices. Stir well and bring almost to boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. (if you like your peppers soft, you can cover at this point)
6. Add cooked pasta, and mix well. Let sit for a few minutes on simmer just to allow flavors to mix with pasta and heat through. Serve and Enjoy!

Chicken Casserole

This is very kid friendly - from little kids to teens, and husbands too! This is great because its a basic recipe that you can add anything you want to it to spice it up or change it to your liking.

1.5 lbs chicken cooked and cut up into bite sized pieces
*you can cook it how ever you like, boil, saute, grill, etc
3 cans 98% FF cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1.5 soup cans of milk
1/2 pkg carrots (I like the crinkle cut coins but the baby carrots work well too) broccoli works too!
3/4 package of elbow noodles or egg noodles, cooked according to package directions
(I've also used medium shells and they came out good too)

mix all ingredients together in a large bowl or pot. Add whatever spices you like - I use garlic powder, poultry seasoning, a little Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.

Put mixture in casserole dish ( I spray mine with Pam), cover with foil, and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

You can mix bread crumbs or panko with a little melted butter for crunchy topping instead of covering with foil too!

Honestly, you can do what ever you want to it! I have had my kids friends mother's call and ask me for this many times - the kids just love it.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:50 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Here's a couple more.

Chicken Imperial

Brown 4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts. While they're browning, mix together:
1 cup sherry
4 tablespoons butter, melted
4 teaspoons worcestershire
2 teaspoons oregano leaves
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
5 to 10 dashes of tabasco
Pour mixture over browned chicken, cook 20 to 30 minutes until done.

Eggs From H-E-double hockey sticks
12 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cut in half. Set whites aside and mix yolks with:
1/2 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons lime juice (or white vinegar)
Then mix in:
1/4 cup chopped green onions
4 jalapeno chilis, stemmed, seeded, and minced
2 tablespoons cilantro
Season mixture with salt & pepper, fill egg whites.
Top with more jalapeno slices or radish slices.

Grandma B's Persimmon Pudding with Lemon Sauce
Mix 1/4 cup flour with 1 cup raisins and 1/2 cup chopped nuts. Set aside.
Mix together:
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 cup persimmon pulp
A pinch each of salt, ginger, and cloves
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Mix in the nut & raisin mixture last.
Greased 8 x 12 pan, bake at 375 for 45 minutes
While it's baking, mix 1/2 cup sugar, a pinch of salt, and 2 tablespoons corn starch. Add this to 1 cup boiling water on the stove. Boil and stir until it's thick and clear. Remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons butter, 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice, and 1 pinch of nutmeg. Can add a bit of lemon rind if you want. Serve both the pudding (it cuts into squares easily) and the sauce warm.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:41 PM

238 posts, read 227,563 times
Love TNT recipes. Here are a couple of really easy ones- I am copying & pasting (they are my own recipes from our cooking blog so I think it's okay- if not please let me know). These are not only faves in our family, whenever we serve to guests or bring to potlucks there is never a morsel left and we are asked for the recipe or requested to make again and again.

Easy Tex-Mex Casserole

3 lbs ground beef or turkey, browned and drained then put back in pot.
Add in:
1 can corn, drained
1 can tomato sauce
1 jar your fave salsa

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix up 2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix according to package directions adding in 1 can cream corn Let stand 5-10 minutes. *I like to add a can of drained diced green chilis, but make sure everyone who is eating likes them.

Place meat in casserole dish and add a layer of shredded cheese- we like colby jack, but cheddar works or a mexican blend.

Top with corn muffin mix - if you like, top with sliced black olives- for Halloween we divide into 2 cake pans and make jack-o-lanterns.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until done.

Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

*These are just as delicious the second time around and freeze beautifully, we often make a couple up to have for quick meals or when we have to bring a meal to someone in need.

Slow Cooker Italian Beef

It just doesn't get any easier than this, and the flavor is out of this world.

Sprinkle cheap boneless beef roast (non-fatty) liberally with Mrs. Dash Garlic Seasoning (you can also use 1/4 - 1/2 envelope of dry Italian salad dressing mix but we're trying to cut out sodium).

Dump a jar of pepperoncini, including liquid, on the roast.

Set slow cooker to low and cook all day (6-8 hours depending on size- longer won't hurt it any)

Our favorite way to serve is by making Italian Beef Sandwiches on buns toasted in broiler with your fave melted cheese.

If using for sandwiches, place meat and pepperoncini* on cutting board and shred with 2 forks or chop like you do when you make pulled pork then return to the cooker and mix with the juices.

*For this recipe the pre-sliced pepperoncini works beautifully- if you can find them, just leave them in the cooker with the juices and you only have to worry about shredding/chopping the meat.

Lentil Soup - very easy to adapt to vegetarian or vegan

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 carrots, peeled and chopped or shredded
2 celery stalks with leaves, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
1 (28-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
1 lb lentils, rinsed
9 cups veggie (for vegetarian option) or chicken broth
2 cups V-8 juice regular or spicy
1 bay leaf
2/3 cup dried smallish pasta - elbow macaroni, mini penne, corkscrew, stars, ditalanti etc
OR some diced potatoes, chef's choice here
1 cup shredded Parmesan (omit for vegan)

Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper and saute until all the vegetables are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices. Simmer until the juices evaporate a little and the tomatoes break down some, stirring occasionally, about 7 or 8 minutes. Add the lentils and mix to coat. Add the broth and V-8 and stir. Add the bay leaf. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over low heat until the lentils are almost tender, about 30 minutes.

Stir in the pasta. Simmer until the pasta is al dente, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with the Parmesan, drizzle with additional olive oil if desired.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:46 PM

238 posts, read 227,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have a couple, being married and loving to cook for 53 years you can imagine how many I have collected or invented, whichever:

The first one that comes to mind is so easy it is almost scary:

1 cup of mayo
1 cup of parmesan cheese (grated)
3 green onions (sliced using the greens as well)
1 pk of rye crisp or small peices of toast made from french bread

Mix mayo, cheese and onions together.
Spread on pieces of rye crisp.
broil for about 3 to 5 minutes, just til the the mixture starts to bubble.

Serve hot, but is good at room temp as well.

We do almost the same thing only put the mayo/cheese mixture on top of chicken breasts (pounded flat) and call it puffy chicken. Worcestershire OR Tony's creole seasoning gives it a kick but it is also good plain. Swiss or other hard cheeses also work.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:24 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Gandalara, I grew up eating something my mom called Chicken Imperial, but it wasn't anything like that! Yours sounds mighty tasty - I'll have to try it once the weather cools off enough that I'm willing to turn on the oven.

Our family's version of Chicken Imperial is a simple dish that is always a big hit, and it goes like this:

1 cup breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 stick butter or margarine, melted
1 cut-up fryer

Place the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and black pepper in a wide, shallow bowl and stir to combine.

Dip each chicken piece in the melted butter, then in the breadcrumb mixture, coating all sides liberally, and lay in a foil-lined jelly roll pan.

Bake at 350 for an hour to an hour and a quarter, or until the chicken juices run clear.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:31 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Gandalara, I grew up eating something my mom called Chicken Imperial, but it wasn't anything like that! Yours sounds mighty tasty - I'll have to try it once the weather cools off enough that I'm willing to turn on the oven.

Our family's version of Chicken Imperial is a simple dish that is always a big hit, and it goes like this:

1 cup breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 stick butter or margarine, melted
1 cut-up fryer

Place the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and black pepper in a wide, shallow bowl and stir to combine.

Dip each chicken piece in the melted butter, then in the breadcrumb mixture, coating all sides liberally, and lay in a foil-lined jelly roll pan.

Bake at 350 for an hour to an hour and a quarter, or until the chicken juices run clear.
Ha! Very different Chicken, cheese and butter - can't get much better.

Oh, and I usually cook mine in an electric skillet. Mom uses a fry pan. Niece uses the oven. Very forgiving recipe ...

Old 07-25-2011, 07:50 AM

891 posts, read 3,053,636 times
My favorite summer recipe is the tomato pie recipe below. I've used this recipe for years and everyone always loves it.
If you can find candy onions it is even better.Tandi's Tomato Pie Recipe - Country Living

Old 07-26-2011, 11:30 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,270,506 times
Talking Mushroom cube steak

MUSHROOM CUBE STEAK

3 Tblspns. Flour
1/2 tsp. each of Salt & Pepper
4 Cubed steaks 1/4 to 1/3 # each
4 Tblspns. Butter
2-4 tsp. your favorite mustard (we use prepared, that's what Hubby likes)
4 Tblspns. Parsley
2-3 Tsp. Worcesterchire sauce
4 Tblspsn. Chopped Onion (I use a whole med or lrg.onion, we like onion)
1# to 1-1/2# fresh mushrooms, sliced thick

In ziploc bag combine flour, s & p. Add steaks, toss to coat the meat. In skillet, med heat brown steaks in 2 Tblspns. of butter. Remove steaks, spread each one with mustard, then worcestershire sauce. Keep warm.
In same skillet saute onion & mushrooms in remainiung butter, until tender. Add parsley. Return steaks to skillet on top of onion/mushroom mixture.Cover & Simmer 6-8 minutes until meat is tender.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:44 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,270,506 times
Talking Pecan pie mini muffins

BEWARE THESE ARE ADDICTING.

1 c. packed brown sugar
1/2 c. flour
1 c. chopped pecans
2/3 c. butter
2 eggs, beaten

Oven 350*
Grease & flour 18 mini muffin pan. I DON'T SUGGEST USING ANY PAPER LINED MUFFIN cups. THE PAPER STICKS TO MUFFIN & ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET IT OFF CLEAN. YOU WASTE TOO MUCH MUFFIN.

In med. bowl stir together brown sugar, flour & pecans. In separate bowl beat the softened butter (NOT MELTED) & eggs together until smooth, stir in dry ingredients just until it's all combined.
Spoon the batter into prepared mini muffin tin. Each should be about 2/3 full of batter.
Bake at 350* 20-30 minutes. Coool on wire racks when done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes