Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:17 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times

Advertisements

My local fishmonger doesn't have fresh oysters. I was planning to use some to make oyster dressing. So I'm wondering about preparing escargots and chopping them finely or coarsely and mixing them, with or without giblets, into my stuffing in the crop. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have suggestions? I can do this in a separate bowl if the amount is great. I plan to saw off the wings and bake them above stuffing in bowls. I prepare a lot of stuffing.

There are all sorts of recipes for mushrooms stuffed with escargots, but no stuffing.

Please help this heartbroken gourmet who only wishes to tittilate his tastebuds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,680,179 times
eewwww!

Snails are unsafe to eat and are forbidden by the Bible as "bottom feeders".

When it comes to sea creatures, bottom dwellers such as lobsters and crabs scavenge for dead animals on the sea floor. Shellfish such as oysters, clams and mussels similarly consume decaying organic matter that sinks to the sea floor, including sewage.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:53 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Given that escargot are a bit more chewy than oysters I'd probably bake them first in garlic butter, let them cool, run them through a grinder, then add to stuffing with the rest of the ingredients. Actually your idea sounds like a yummy alternative to oyster dressing to me.

Hmmmmmm...........have you thought about adding ground escargot tidbits to your gibblet bits in the gravy?

Dang you......making me hungry!

Old 12-22-2011, 12:07 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
I would definitely tell people what's in it. I've had escargot a few times and don't hate it, but I have to gird myself for it beforehand.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:09 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
No way. Escargot really tastes nothing like oysters. You might substitute mussels for them. Cook them first though so you know which ones are bad.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I would definitely tell people what's in it. I've had escargot a few times and don't hate it, but I have to gird myself for it beforehand.
I'll be the only human. I'll give my dogs some. I don't use onions in my stuffing so there won't be a problem. I doubt that my kitty will want any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
No way. Escargot really tastes nothing like oysters. You might substitute mussels for them. Cook them first though so you know which ones are bad.
I know escargots don't taste like oysters. I'm just looking for a yummy alternative. And I know there are no fresh mussels in these parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Given that escargot are a bit more chewy than oysters I'd probably bake them first in garlic butter, let them cool, run them through a grinder, then add to stuffing with the rest of the ingredients. Actually your idea sounds like a yummy alternative to oyster dressing to me.
I hadn't thought about baking them first. I was just going to marinate them in wine, then simmer them. But that sounds like an excellent idea. I better make extra, however, so I can have a few before I start the stuffing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Hmmmmmm...........have you thought about adding ground escargot tidbits to your gibblet bits in the gravy?
I'm not sure about that. Maybe I'll try a cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
eewwww!

When it comes to sea creatures, bottom dwellers such as lobsters and crabs scavenge for dead animals on the sea floor. Shellfish such as oysters, clams and mussels similarly consume decaying organic matter that sinks to the sea floor, including sewage.
That's why the fish taste so good when you catch them about a quarter mile below a sewage disposal pipe if you live near a town that still dumps it full strength. Years ago it was even better when folks had outhouses. A crew came out, tipped the outhouse, then shoveled the contents into a wagon called the honey wagon. They'd take it to the river and dump it. I guess the aging really gave it an extra something because it made those fish taste positively ambrosial.

Decay for one means good eats for another.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 12-22-2011 at 05:57 PM..

Old 12-22-2011, 05:49 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Thanks to this thread I called the local market tonight to see if they had ordered fresh oysters for Christmas. They did get in some extra pints for those who didn't get their orders in. Looks like I'll be making scalloped oysters!

Old 12-23-2011, 06:24 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
eewwww!

LOL! I must have missed church that Sunday when these rules were explained. May the Lord forgive me for my frequent bottom-eating sinful behavior. We plan to consume many bottom-feeders in the form of shrimp on Sunday. Sinning never tasted so good.

I love escargoes, but haven't had them in a very long time. I used to eat them baked with butter and garlic. I bet they'd make an awesome stuffing!

Old 12-31-2011, 06:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Maybe it's a moot point now that you've found the oysters but I'm going to be the naysayer where using escargots in a stuffing mix is concerned. I think their "earthy" flavor would be completely obliterated by all the seasoning and all you'd experience is the texture. Rather like lobster chili (at our annual chili cook-off one year somebody made it and what a total waste of lobster it was!).

My best escargot dish is to quickly saute them in butter and garlic, thicken with flour (roux) and then add heavy cream. Pop into individual ramekins and top with puff pastry. Oops, I'm drooling over the keyboard!

PS: I've suffered not once physically in years of eating snails cooked in several different ways in several different countries but am very concerned to know that the Bible allegedly forbids eating them. Am I therefore doomed to an afterlife of fire and brimstone?

Old 12-31-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Maybe it's a moot point now that you've found the oysters but I'm going to be the naysayer where using escargots in a stuffing mix is concerned. I think their "earthy" flavor would be completely obliterated by all the seasoning and all you'd experience is the texture. Rather like lobster chili (at our annual chili cook-off one year somebody made it and what a total waste of lobster it was!).
Sad to say, that's what happened. The flavor was of the escargots was simply too mild. strangely the same thing happened with potato sausage of a very spicy variety a few years ago.

Quote:
My best escargot dish is to quickly saute them in butter and garlic, thicken with flour (roux) and then add heavy cream. Pop into individual ramekins and top with puff pastry. Oops, I'm drooling over the keyboard!
That sounds good.

Quote:
PS: I've suffered not once physically in years of eating snails cooked in several different ways in several different countries but am very concerned to know that the Bible allegedly forbids eating them. Am I therefore doomed to an afterlife of fire and brimstone?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes