Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 05:37 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times

Advertisements

Migas - great Mexican breakfast dish
Ingredients:
8 eggs
1/4 cup of milk or half-and-half
3 Tablespoons of peanut oil (or olive oil or corn oil)
2 handfuls of tortilla chips, slightly crushed.
1/2 an onion diced (about 1/2 a cup)
1 medium jalapeno pepper diced (remove seeds for mild heat).
1 red or green bell pepper diced. (red is more colorful).
1 cup of processed cheese, cubed. This gives the Migas a nice creamy texture.
1/2 cup of shredded cheese such as Longhorn cheddar or Monterrey Jack
1 cup of salsa
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:
1. In a bowl, whisk eggs together with milk. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
2. In a large iron skillet, heat up oil on medium-high.
3. Add onions, bell peppers and jalapenos to the pan, and cook for a couple of minutes to brown onions.
4. Add egg mixture and let eggs sit for about one minute or until set on the bottom and then gently stir.
Cook a little more. When eggs begin to firm add salsa and tortilla chips stir. Cook a minute.
5 Add processed cheese and stir, cook covered until cheese melts.
6. Spoon out onto plates. Sprinkle grated cheese on top of eggs, add salt and pepper to taste and top eggs with dash of salsa.
Serves four. And note that migas go mighty fine with refried beans and corn or flour tortillas.

Alternative:

Migas Breakfast Taco's: Serve fresh or prepare these to eat on another day. Fill tortillas (corn or flour) with Migas filling, wrap each one in waxed paper and serve fresh or freeze for future use. Microwave each frozen Miga Breakfast Taco for 1.5 minutes to thaw out and serve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 06:29 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Migas - great Mexican breakfast dish
Ingredients:
8 eggs
1/4 cup of milk or half-and-half
3 Tablespoons of peanut oil (or olive oil or corn oil)
2 handfuls of tortilla chips, slightly crushed.
1/2 an onion diced (about 1/2 a cup)
1 medium jalapeno pepper diced (remove seeds for mild heat).
1 red or green bell pepper diced. (red is more colorful).
1 cup of processed cheese, cubed. This gives the Migas a nice creamy texture.
1/2 cup of shredded cheese such as Longhorn cheddar or Monterrey Jack
1 cup of salsa
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:
1. In a bowl, whisk eggs together with milk. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
2. In a large iron skillet, heat up oil on medium-high.
3. Add onions, bell peppers and jalapenos to the pan, and cook for a couple of minutes to brown onions.
4. Add egg mixture and let eggs sit for about one minute or until set on the bottom and then gently stir.
Cook a little more. When eggs begin to firm add salsa and tortilla chips stir. Cook a minute.
5 Add processed cheese and stir, cook covered until cheese melts.
6. Spoon out onto plates. Sprinkle grated cheese on top of eggs, add salt and pepper to taste and top eggs with dash of salsa.
Serves four. And note that migas go mighty fine with refried beans and corn or flour tortillas.

Alternative:

Migas Breakfast Taco's: Serve fresh or prepare these to eat on another day. Fill tortillas (corn or flour) with Migas filling, wrap each one in waxed paper and serve fresh or freeze for future use. Microwave each frozen Miga Breakfast Taco for 1.5 minutes to thaw out and serve.
this sounds really good, like a mexican omlette

Old 01-17-2012, 11:30 AM

It is really good. I've been working on a Miga's recipe for years, adjusting it to make it better, this is the best so far. The single jalapeno pepper with seeds removed gives it a really nice flavor and just a hint of the heat, without being overly hot. The jalapeno seeds are very hot, leave them in of you want more heat. Or add a second jalapeno.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:48 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
Migas is a family favorite at our house. I learned how to make it from the mom of a friend in El Paso, many years ago and I've tried to stay true to her dish as best I can. My version is a bit different from yours. No tortilla chips, but corn tortillas instead. No cheese in the dish either.

I saute chopped tortillas in oil until soft, then I add peppers (bell and jalapeno), onions, garlic and cilantro and continue to saute until the veggies are tender. Then I add some chopped tomato, and bit of cumin, and just a touch of water. Saute just a couple of minutes more, then add in eggs which have been whisked together with milk or half and half, salt and pepper. Gently stir the mixture as you would scrambled eggs, until the eggs are done to your liking. Place on plates and top with shredded cheddar cheese. Serve with salsa.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Migas is a family favorite at our house. I learned how to make it from the mom of a friend in El Paso, many years ago and I've tried to stay true to her dish as best I can. My version is a bit different from yours. No tortilla chips, but corn tortillas instead. No cheese in the dish either.

I saute chopped tortillas in oil until soft, then I add peppers (bell and jalapeno), onions, garlic and cilantro and continue to saute until the veggies are tender. Then I add some chopped tomato, and bit of cumin, and just a touch of water. Saute just a couple of minutes more, then add in eggs which have been whisked together with milk or half and half, salt and pepper. Gently stir the mixture as you would scrambled eggs, until the eggs are done to your liking. Place on plates and top with shredded cheddar cheese. Serve with salsa.
Sound good, it is a very flexible dish. Its really good with sausage bits added. Back when we spent a lot of time on our sailboat we would often make Migas with any left over meat that we had from the dinner the night before.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:32 PM

This thread made me hungry so I cooked up a batch of Migas with sausauge and refried beans this afternoon. I divided it into thirds. One third for supper today, one for breakfast bowls I put in the refrigerator for tomorrow or the next day, and one third wrapped in tortillas for breakfast tacos. The tacos are wrapped and placed in a freezer bag for microwaving in the near future.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:52 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
Sounds yummy. Reading this post is making me hungry. I think I need a breakfast burrito...

There's a restaurant in Fort Worth that does migas with chicken. They also serve chilaquilas. Their variety of chilaquilas is more like my version of migas, no meat. I took a class at the Santa Fe School of Cooking several years ago, and chilaquilas was the focus. I just love it because according to the chef teaching the class, you could use pretty much whatever you had leftover in the fridge. I didn't see much difference between the 2 dishes, but I don't care what they call it, I love it.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:12 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,092,198 times
Migas are a staple at my house, I always save the bottom of a chip bag for them, it doesnt matter if they are stale. Broken taco or chalupa shells work well too.

For more authentic migas, omit the green peppers and proccessed cheese, add some tomatoes and cilantro. You can also sub some good pico de gallo for the tom, onions and jalps. Do not freeze tortillas

Old 01-25-2012, 10:37 AM

Think thins recipe is better then the so called "authentic" migas. The best migas we have found in Texas restaurants, the cheese has a creamy texture, the only way we have been able to get that is with processed cheese. I also don't care for cilantro so I left that out.

But to each their own, migas are very flexible and can accommodate a lot of differences yet still be tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes