Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 10:42 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times

Advertisements

My mom used to make beef or chicken flavored Rice A Roni, she would make 2 boxes and always add more butter than was needed. It was full of salt abd butter but it was the best! I have not had Rice A Roni in 15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 10:47 AM

605 posts, read 1,054,636 times
My favourite would have to be a Sunday roast with roast chicken, roast potatoes, stuffing, 2-3 different veggies and LOTS of gravy. My mum made a fantastic roast dinner. I like beef better as an adult, but really loved the chicken roasts as a kid.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:33 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
My most favorite dish was Ground Peanut Banana Salad.

Mix Miracle Whip with milk to get a nice spreading consistency. Slice bananas and layer on a plate (or bowl). Spread Miracle Whip mixture on each banana slice and sprinkle with ground peanuts (use an old hand grinder).

Our family preferred Miracle Whip but I have used Hellman's mayo. It doesn't taste the same if peanuts are chopped....just an old family tradition of taking turns grinding the peanuts in the old hand grinder (I have two of these old grinders now!)
That sounds a little strange, but, our family ate a few strange things when I was a kid. One was pea salad made with Miracle Whip - I loved the stuff!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:23 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I buy 2 small roaster 2 lbs each or I buy one oven stuffer roaster. Wash chicken under water, clean guts out, I save the neck only. Sprinkle garlic powder inside the chicken cavity, then I sprinkle 1 tsp each of, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, paprika and Italian seasoning all over the outside of the chicken, the legs and wings. I place the chicken and neck in a roasting pan with a little water on the bottom. I roast the chicken on 375 for 2 hours if doing the smaller chickens otherwide I go by the pop up timer that the oven stuffer roaster has. 1/2 hour before chicken is done I add 2 cans of peas to the pan.Once the chicken is done I remove it and turn up the temperature to 425, roast the peas until they start to get crisp and brown, drain and place peas in a serving dish. My grandmother always served sour cream on the side to go with the chicken. She was polish so maybe it's a slavic thing. Roasting the peas in the chicken drippings is delicious but I don't do that anymore because of the fat content. You can serve the peas plain if you wish. I never tried this with fresh frozen peas. DO NOT let the pan dry out keep adding water to it as needed. you can baste it if you like.
Sounds delicious....I would never have thought about adding peas but those sound so good! Thanks.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:47 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Sounds delicious....I would never have thought about adding peas but those sound so good! Thanks.
I make this meal in the fall and winter too hot to turn on the oven now.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:15 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Yes - fluffly dumplings......do you think the flour is different now?
Well, maybe she used a different kind of flour. That CAN make a big difference. For example, if you've been trying to make them with all purpose flour, try using cake flour instead.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:21 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
My favorite every day dish was the macaroni casserole my Dad made. My favorite special dish was the Prime Rib and Yorkshire pudding we had for Christmas dinner. Oh, and my Dad's Sukiyaki he made once in a while.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:10 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
My most favorite dish was Ground Peanut Banana Salad.

Mix Miracle Whip with milk to get a nice spreading consistency. Slice bananas and layer on a plate (or bowl). Spread Miracle Whip mixture on each banana slice and sprinkle with ground peanuts (use an old hand grinder).
This one nudged my brain cells!

Peel a banana. Slice in half long-ways.
Place a lettuce leaf on a salad plate (does anyone actually use salad plates now, except on holidays?)
Place banana half on leaf.
Four or five or six dabs of chunky peanut butter, so you get some with each bite.
A raisin in the middle of each dab of nut butter.

Was this called Ants on a Log??

(My brother would just roll it up and pick it up with his hands when Mom wasn't looking!)

Old 08-06-2012, 08:16 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Meatballs with mashed potatoes and gravy.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:39 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Meatballs with mashed potatoes and gravy.
Always good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes