Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 08:37 AM

48,117 posts, read 21,997,640 times

Advertisements

Indian Pudding is an old fashion New England desert. It is made of corn meal (Indian Meal to the colonists)....and milk and molasses and egg.....and it cooks for hours in a low oven. It is great served warm with cream or ice cream. http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/indian_pudding/

Last edited by elston; 04-03-2014 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 09:11 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Indian Pudding is an old fashion New England desert. It is made of corn meal (Indian Meal to the colonists)....and milk and molasses and egg.....and it cooks for hours in a low oven. It is great served warm with cream or ice cream.
It must be the most delicious, decadent food on earth. It's so rich and sweet and satisfying. Served warm with real whipped cream--there is nothing better. INDIAN PUDDING.

As for maple syrup on snow--we called it sugar on snow. When there was a new snowfall my mother would hand one of us a Pyrex mixing bowl and say--Go out and get some snow.

She'd be busy at the stove doing something. Then we'd each get an individual dish of snow and she would pour the hot maple syrup over it. The syrup hardened and you ate it by twirling it around a fork. It was kind of amazing to a kid. You could only eat a little bit because it was really sweet. It's maple sugar time now but I don't feel like getting up really early and driving to a sugar house this year.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:45 AM

73 posts, read 99,876 times
When we were kids we made snow cream by going outside and getting a bowl of fresh snow, adding some milk, sugar and vanilla extract. I can still remember how good it was.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:57 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I just picked up an "Old Timey" cookbook as a free Kindle download and it is a real hoot. Copywrite 1914.

Butter (interchangeable with lard) measurements - size of a walnut, size of half an egg, size of an egg ...
Oven temperatures - low, moderate, high, and very high
Coffee Jello! I'm gonna try this one - although they call it Coffee Jelly, it uses gelatin and is put in a mold.
Making candy - 'place pan in snow to cool ...'
There was even a 'coffee' made from bread crumbs. Don't think I'll try that, LOL

It may still be a free download for anyone who is interested ...
Things Mother Used to Make A Collection of Old Time Recipes, Some Nearly One Hundred Years Old and Never Published Before [Kindle Edition]
I have two very old cookbooks that I just love. Mostly to read but I've used a few recipes. One is Housekeeping in Old Virginia and was printed in the mid 1800s. The recipes were contributions from the women who lived in the area at the time. Some of the ingredients in those recipes seem like things you'd only be able to get at a drug store! I loved the beginning of the Breads section. It says "First of all, tell your cook...". lol It has 'recipes' for makeup and the 'sick room' as well. Fascinating book.

Another one I have is the White House Cookbook that was a wedding gift to my grandmother in 1908. It's in pretty bad shape though so I have to be very careful with it. Another one I found in a book store was a slim volume of recipes from Paddington, Sydney, Australia. It had pen and ink drawings of the homes and other places in Paddington. My mom was born there so I bought it for her. Lo and behold, one of the drawings was of the house she grew up in! She still treasures that book and I'm glad I found it for her.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:35 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,431,085 times
Neat, Brat!

This one has "Household Hints" at the end ...
Monday - Wash, if you have it done in the house ...
Tuesday - Iron
Wednesday - Finish ironing. bake, wash kitchen floor
Thursday - Sweep and dust
Friday - Sweep and dust
Saturday - Bake, and prepare in every way possible for the following day

Then there's a section on how to dust a room - it includes removing the furniture from the room!

Old 04-03-2014, 01:56 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,156,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTexan's View Post
When we were kids we made snow cream by going outside and getting a bowl of fresh snow, adding some milk, sugar and vanilla extract. I can still remember how good it was.
We used to make "snow omelettes." Add fresh snow to a bowl of whipped eggs, whisk, and cook very quickly. I remember them being extremely fluffy omelettes but that could be faulty memories.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:15 PM

48,117 posts, read 21,997,640 times
Cape Cod Turkey recipe from the late 1800's.

My grandmother used to make what she called "cape cod turkey" and my father made the same thing and called it "creamed codfish". They would take salt cod (the kind that comes in a little wooden box or at least it used to)...and freshen it overnight in cold water. Drain and add fresh water several times. Then the cod would be coarsely flaked or broken up and added to a white sauce. It was always served with whole boiled potatoes as the starch and a vegetable (usually canned peas). I think Dad might have liked to serve pickled beets along with it. I might recollect a hard boiled egg quartered and added to the sauce too.

This was a big favorite in my house growing up....we three kids liked it.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:47 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Neat, Brat!

This one has "Household Hints" at the end ...
Monday - Wash, if you have it done in the house ...
Tuesday - Iron
Wednesday - Finish ironing. bake, wash kitchen floor
Thursday - Sweep and dust
Friday - Sweep and dust
Saturday - Bake, and prepare in every way possible for the following day

Then there's a section on how to dust a room - it includes removing the furniture from the room!
I remember working all day Sat. on 'house stuff' and cooking so we didn't have to on Sun.. I think we did the washing and ironing on Mon. and Tues. too. I used to bake twice a week when I had a husband and kids taking lunches but don't think I did it on any certain day(s). Lots of dusting and sweeping...never ending! lol

Old 04-05-2014, 09:44 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,141,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Also, if you're interested in really, really old school recipes and cooking techniques I would suggest purchasing a Boston Cooking School reprint- although you can read the original online here. Also, there's a book called 'Perfection Salad' by Laura Shapiro which is non-fiction about cooking in the late 19th and early 20th century.
I love reading the old cookbooks available on sites like the Internet Archive or Google Books. The regional cookbooks are particularly interesting, using different ingredients common to the different areas.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:51 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,757,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Yikes! That reminds me of my nieces. My sister once proudly boasted that her girls LOVED to cook. In shock & horror (because my brother & I are the only 2 in my huge family who can boil water sans burning it) I said, 'Really!!! What do they like to cook?' Her reply? 'They microwave frozen pizza, heat their own canned soup, make tea...'

Seriously? In which decade did heating pre-cooked food & dunking a teabag become re-categorized as actual cooking??? < Insert fist shaking emoticon >

Can-opener gourmet? Ohhhh... Poppy, please!
That was considered a terribly modern way to cook when the first canned soups and so on came out in the 1920s. Making things from scratch was just so, you know, old country! Like slaving away over a campfire in a Third World country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes