Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 10:15 AM

126,265 posts, read 19,034,903 times

Advertisements

I would like to share with you German baking ideas and recipes! Here is one of my favorite German Christmas baking recipe!

*Nürnberger Lebkuchen*

Nürnberger Lebkuchen!

Ingredients:

Cookie Dough:

1/2 c. softened butter
1 c. sugar
4 eggs
3 c. white flour
1 T. Lebkuchen spices
2 T. cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. milk
1 3/4 c. ground almonds
1/2 c. candied lemon peel, chopped
1 T. rum or orange liqueur
Glaze:

1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. water
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 - 2 T. rum or liqueur
1/2 c. powdered sugar
Extras:

32 Oblaten (baking wafers) 3 inch size
1/2 c. raisins, soaked in rum and chopped
1/4 c. shredded coconut
Preparation:

Cream butter, sugar and eggs until light and fluffy.

Mix in flour, spices, cocoa powder and baking powder, alternating with milk.

Fold in nuts and lemon peel. Stir in rum. Stir in raisins and coconut if you are using them.

Drop about 3 tablespoons cookie dough into the center of each circle. If you are using "Oblaten" drop the dough onto the wafer and smooth to the edges. When the tray is full, use the back of the spoon to fill out circle, slightly mounding the dough towards the center.

Bake at 375°F for 15-20 minutes. Turn down oven to 350°F if cookies are browning too much.

Let cool for a few minutes, then remove to a cookie or cake rack to cool.

While they are still warm, make the glaze.

Place 1/2 c. sugar and 1/4 c. water in a small saucepan on the stove. Bring to a boil and boil for a few minutes. Add vanilla and liqueur or rum. Sift powdered sugar over hot sugar syrup and stir.

Using a pastry brush, brush warm glaze over warm cookies. Let dry completely.

Dry glazed cookies for a day (to dry the glaze so it stays a bit crunchy) then store in an airtight container or freeze.

Delicious and a nice gift to give to someone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 10:17 AM

277 posts, read 506,341 times
I don't know too much about pastries or "German baking" but German food is very good and the people can cook. I miss German cuisines.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:41 AM

Florentiner!

1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 tablespoon whipping cream
3/4 cup sifted flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup blanched slivered almond
3 ounces candied orange peel, finely chopped

Chocolate glaze:

3 ounces semisweet chocolate
3 tablespoons butter

Partially melt chocolate pieces in the top of a double boiler over hot water. Remove from heat and stir until chocolate is melted. Blend in butter.

For Cookies:

Cream butter, add brown sugar, creaming until fluffy. Add honey, corn syrup, and cream , beating well after each addition.

Sift flour and salt together,add to creamed mixture, mixing until blended. Mix in almonds and candied peel.

Drop by level tablespoonfuls 3 inches apart onto greased and lightly floured cookie sheets,spread into 2 inch rounds.

Bake at 350°F about 7 minutes. (Cookies should be browned .

Cool 2 to 3 minutes on cookie sheets. Carefully remove cookies to wire racks; turn flat side up and cool completely.

Evenly spread bottom of each cookie with about 1 1/2 teaspoons Chocolate Glaze. When chocolate is almost set, draw wavy lines through glaze. About 2 dozen cookies.

*I use Belgium chocolate*......Delicious....

Last edited by Almrausch; 12-13-2012 at 12:08 PM..

Old 12-13-2012, 10:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
YUM! These sound EXCELLENT. I was wondering about the "base" of the lebkuchen and how to make it, so now I know I can just get on Amazon and order the spices and the cookie "base." THANK YOU! I will have to try these out - but first I need to eat the lebkuchen that I just ordered - should be arriving today or tomorrow.

I am sure it's not as good as homemade, though, so thank you for the recipe!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
YUM! These sound EXCELLENT. I was wondering about the "base" of the lebkuchen and how to make it, so now I know I can just get on Amazon and order the spices and the cookie "base." THANK YOU! I will have to try these out - but first I need to eat the lebkuchen that I just ordered - should be arriving today or tomorrow.

I am sure it's not as good as homemade, though, so thank you for the recipe!
Hi...you don't have to order anything, you just pick up the spices in the grocery store. I don't use the ,,Oblaten, because my family is not keen about them, so I leave the Lebkuchen without Oblaten. Even in the German stores here they sell it that way!

Old 12-13-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Hi...you don't have to order anything, you just pick up the spices in the grocery store. I don't use the ,,Oblaten, because my family is not keen about them, so I leave the Lebkuchen without Oblaten. Even in the German stores here they sell it that way!
I've never seen lebkuchen spices in the store - are they sold as a mixture, or individually, and if so, what spices are in the mixture?

Old 12-13-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've never seen lebkuchen spices in the store - are they sold as a mixture, or individually, and if so, what spices are in the mixture?
I have them separate...Cinnamon,Clove,...for Nürnberger Lebkuchen.Sometimes for different Lebkuchen, I use also Allspice, Cardamon and Nutmeg.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I have them separate...Cinnamon,Clove,...for Nürnberger Lebkuchen.Sometimes for different Lebkuchen, I use also Allspice, Cardamon and Nutmeg.
Oh, Ok, thanks - I have all those so I'm pretty much set I guess!

Old 12-14-2012, 05:47 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
My Great grandmother used to make Lebkuchen and Stolen. I have not had either one. She came from an area in Germany known as the black forest called Augsburg. I am only 1/4 german but I love the food. I was thinking that this time of year especially Christmas Germany must be really beautiful. I hope to go there someday and visit where my great grandmother came from. Do you have a stolen recipe?

Old 12-14-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My Great grandmother used to make Lebkuchen and Stolen. I have not had either one. She came from an area in Germany known as the black forest called Augsburg. I am only 1/4 german but I love the food. I was thinking that this time of year especially Christmas Germany must be really beautiful. I hope to go there someday and visit where my great grandmother came from. Do you have a stolen recipe?
Good morning lubby. how are you?I know Augsburg very well. Yes I can give you a Stollen recipe. I have to go with my son in the hospital, but when I have some time I will post it here. Until soon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes