Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 05:24 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times

Advertisements

I suppose I'm odd - I like my mac pasta overcooked and I don't mind if the cheese sauce is a bit grainy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 11:47 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
While I love homemade even gourmet mac and cheese I stumbled across a great way to make the infamous Kraft mac and cheese while taking care of twins and a baby. I didn't want to wait to stir in the powder (yeah it's that crazy taking care of twins and a baby) so while the noodles were cooking so I came up with the

The two pan method.

I put the butter in a small saucepan, melted it on low, then added the milk and powder. Whisked it while cooking till thick, watching to not boil and curdle the milk, and it was very creamy. So much better than dumping it all over the noodles. Surprisingly good.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I tried a new way tonight and maybe with a little tweaking I will like it. I usually do a roux then make a bechamel base to add cheeses to. This new to me recipe calls for buttering the cooked pasta first then in a bowl, mixing eggs, cheese and milk. Then pouring over the buttered noodles and baked for 12 minutes.

My only gripe was it wasn't cheesy tasting enough and all the liquid absorbed right into the pasta. I think I will double the liquid and triple the cheese. (the ratio was a can of evaporated milk to 2 cups of cheese)

I grated a jalopeno jack, australian cheddar and pecorino. Usually that blend is very cheesy in the roux based mac and cheese.

What's your favorite way of making mac and cheese? What are your favorite blends of cheeses?

The "best" blend I ever did was a locatelli, sharp provo and aged cheddar. It was both sharp, salty and creamy. Yum!
wow, eggs, I have never used eggs in my mac and cheese sauce. I have simply found, after trial and error for 50 years, make the roux, then add the milk, making it a basic white sauce. As soon as it has thickened I add the cheese, usually about 3 to 5 kinds and always at least one that is creamy and one that is very strong.

I do decide on what cheese based on what I have on hand. I always have several kinds of cheese, since cheese and I are inseparable. I shop specials every week, then I do my menu, based on what I got on sale.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:05 PM

451 posts, read 769,453 times
I like the roux method, and I like to try different cheeses. My favorite so far has been the Italian truffle cheese I found at Trader Joe's. Delicious!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:08 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, eggs, I have never used eggs in my mac and cheese sauce. I have simply found, after trial and error for 50 years, make the roux, then add the milk, making it a basic white sauce. As soon as it has thickened I add the cheese, usually about 3 to 5 kinds and always at least one that is creamy and one that is very strong.

I do decide on what cheese based on what I have on hand. I always have several kinds of cheese, since cheese and I are inseparable. I shop specials every week, then I do my menu, based on what I got on sale.
See I am trying to reduce the butter, so it was a highly rated recipe that only uses 1 tbsp of butter for the cooked pasta. (you toss the pasta in the butter before adding the sauce mixture)

It was good, I just think I didn't use the right blend of cheeses. Next time I do it, I am going to use more pungent cheeses to shine through. And cook it a tad less in the oven, or even leave it on the stove top as some suggested.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:39 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
I've been doing it for years - basic bechamel, stir in grated cheeses off the heat, fold in cooked Mac, pour in buttered casserole, top with buttered panko crumbs, and bake until golden and bubbly.

Trying to make a healthy version of Mac and cheese is like trying to make filet mignon out of ground round. You can call it Mac and cheese, but it will never be Mac and cheese without the saturated fat. Just don't eat it every day - you'll be fine.

Old 09-07-2013, 04:40 PM

I made it again with the changes and it was terrific. The béchamel based one will be for "special" treats. The egg based on, I will make more often as it was pretty tasty with the stronger cheeses and less cooking time.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:52 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
Default Ok fellow CD'rs I need a bit of help with a cheese sauce..

I have been tasked to make a lot of mac and cheese for a church function tomorrow night..

I have the basics, more then needed most likely as this will be a side, yet a big part of the main course..

I went today and bought 2 gallons of whole milk..

We have 10 pounds of shredded cheddar on hand...

We have Vidalia onions...

Flour and butter to make a roux...

I'm figuring on 4 pounds of elbow macaroni though I have a 5.5 pound bag..

We usually get between 40-50 people..

I know the basics of making a cheese sauce just not in such a bulk amount..

So any suggestions on the amount of roux I would need to make to thicken 2 gallons of milk
and how much cheese to use, I know I wont need the entire 10 pounds..

Old 07-23-2015, 06:31 PM

I would take your favorite recipe and scale up.

For an example, there are 16 cups in a gallon. There are about 4 cups of cheese in a pound. For 5 of the recipe below for the serving of 50 people. Which will use up a little over a gallon of milk. 5 sticks of butter, 2 1/2 cup of flour, and your 10 pounds of cheese will yield 40 cups of cheese..

Basic recipe that feeds 10 using 1 pound of small pasta like elbows (I like pipettes) :
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of flour (if you like it thicker sauce, up the flour)

5 cups of milk
4-6 cups of cheese (varies depending on type)

The seasoning is what can be iffy, I would do it to taste. But I would start with 2 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of pepper, 2 tsp of mustard powder and I add in a tsp of turmeric personally but it's optional.

That's the basic one for 10 people as a side dish.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:49 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,591 times
Thank you very much, everything turned out so well people were coming for seconds and thirds and we actually "sold" out for once!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes