Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 05:13 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,814 times

Advertisements

It's Sunday afternoon, you have been relaxing all day, it is now 4PM, you don't want to go to Denney's, so you make that old, tasty, simple recipe that your family has always loved. What is it?

Ours is spaghetti sauce, chopped onions, whatever ELSE is in the fridge (that's still good), all mixed with a couple cups of cooked elbow macaroni, topped with cheese, and baked for about an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 06:48 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Default Creamed chipped beef

Make a white sauce--flour, butter, milk and add dried 'chipped' beef. (the cheap stuff in the plastic pkg)

Toast several pieces of bread and enjoy. My Daddy would make this for us and then we watched Bonanza. Good Memories.

Sometimes he made waffles, too.

sls

Old 05-29-2007, 07:36 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
Make a white sauce--flour, butter, milk and add dried 'chipped' beef. (the cheap stuff in the plastic pkg)

Toast several pieces of bread and enjoy. My Daddy would make this for us and then we watched Bonanza. Good Memories.

Sometimes he made waffles, too.

sls
we ate this growing up. My grandfather called it Sh*t on a Shingle. Said thats what they called it in the Army. Makes me smile thinking of my grandma yelling at him for calling it that in front of me.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:38 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,695 times
Homemade mac and cheese is our speciality. Cooked macaroni, layered with extra sharp cheddar cheese, pour a little milk over the top with salt and pepper and bake for about an hour at 350 degrees.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:52 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,734,653 times
Egg fried rice:

leftover rice (I'm Chinese, so there's always leftover rice)
eggs
and "whatever else is in the fridge"

Add some oyster sauce and soy sauce and top with a few chopped scallions---voila!

Old 05-30-2007, 06:45 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Default Potato Pancakes

Add an egg and some milk to leftover mashed potatoes and drop mixture into a heated frying pan.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:07 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,870 times
Red Beans and Rice

Brown 1/2 pound italian sausage and 1 medium onion. Drain the grease. Add 2 cups cooked minute rice and 1 can Chili Beans (spicy's the best) and a little garlic powder. Mix and serve.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:49 AM

13,905 posts, read 3,379,239 times
Mozzarella Pasta

Ground beef cooked with garlic, onion and oregano. Fresh Mozzarella cut into small cubes. Cooked short pasta such as penne or shells. Drain pasta reserving two tablespoons of the pasta water which you add back to the pasta, salt and pepper if desired add the ground beef and cubed mozzarella, toss and serve. If you have left over sauce it works well with this but it perfectly fine and flavorful without it. I usually add chopped fresh parsley to the dish just before serving.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:51 AM

13,905 posts, read 3,379,239 times
I forgot the most important part. Grate fresh Romano Reggino over the top before serving.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:26 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
Add an egg and some milk to leftover mashed potatoes and drop mixture into a heated frying pan.
How good that sounds... Maybe add a bit of chopped onion?

I love making omelets, and finally found a wonderful set of two pans, one made to fit over the other and "hook" on. You mix 6 eggs, milk, salt, pepper, garlic salt (whip it all to get air into it), pour one third into one pan over a burner, the other 2/3 into the other pan on a separate burner, slowly cook till set (I tip the pans and push back a bit to get the liquid cooked).

Put ground sausage, chopped onions, peppers, whatever, into both pans as it cooks, then take the 1/3 pan and quickly turn it over into the other 2/3 full pan. This will take practice! Then just keep turning the pans, (now hooked together) over on the burner and keep checking to be sure it doesn't burn. It fluffs up so beautifully! When done, tip pan onto a plate, ease the omelet out, slice it into 4 equal wedges (or just two if you're like my partner and me!) and eat. Sounds complicated, but isn't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes