Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 01:03 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,905,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
...not dry creaky crackly, smushy, squishy crackly.
LOL - it's like trying to describe the sound of a loaded paint roller as you push it across the wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 01:04 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,328,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
LOL - it's like trying to describe the sound of a loaded paint roller as you push it across the wall.

That's it exactly, that is the sound I was trying to describe, thank you.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:04 AM

4,587 posts, read 4,224,103 times
Quote:
Cheese Sauce

1 stick of real butter (salted or unsalted is fine)
a couple tablespoons of Wondra flour (specifically this flour)
1 can of chicken stock (14 ounce or 16 ounce can, the small one I never remember the ounces)
2 jars of Old English Cheese (this cheese specifically)
a splash of milk (I mean 2% real milk not the soy stuff)
1 pound of medium shells pasta

Put the water on for the pasta.
Place the two jars of cheese on the center of the stove while the pasta is cooking. Doing this warms the cheese a wee bit and it will make it easier to get all of it out of the jar.
After it starts to boil put in the pasta to cook and cook until it is soft.
After you have added the pasta to the water to cook do the following:

Melt the stick of butter
Add the flour, stir well until it is smooth and cook it until it smells nutty
Add the chicken stock and stir again until smooth
Add both jars of cheese to the pan and stir until the cheese is completely melted and the sauce is smooth
Add pepper (we like it very peppery)
Let the cheese cook and continue to stir until the pasta is done
Turn off the cheese sauce
Drain the pasta and put it back in the pan
Add 1 or 2 pats of butter
Add the splash of milk
Add the cheese sauce and stir until all pasta is coated
Put a lid on the pan for a few minutes
Stir once more and serve.

*Can you tell I can talk about food all night?*
This sounds delicious. How big are the jars of cheese? Can I get this at Harris Teeter?

Old 05-17-2014, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet*Tea View Post
This sounds delicious. How big are the jars of cheese? Can I get this at Harris Teeter?

The jars of cheese come in one size, 6 ounces I think.
As far as Harris Teeter goes I have no clue, I don't even know what grocery that is.
I can only get mine at one local grocery where we live.
If you cannot find it locally go to amazon and you can order it. Be aware though it is expensive, I pay 3.59 per jar but on amazon if you order 6 jars it is cheaper. If you have to look on amazon though get out your calculator and do the math to get the best price.

If you cannot find it on amazon (sometimes it is not available) or if you cannot find it in your local grocery I will be more than happy to send you some (my treat) and I promise I will not sell your address, give it away to anyone, keep it in my files or use it for anything but this one time to send you the cheese.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
The jars of cheese come in one size, 6 ounces I think.
As far as Harris Teeter goes I have no clue, I don't even know what grocery that is.
I can only get mine at one local grocery where we live.
If you cannot find it locally go to amazon and you can order it. Be aware though it is expensive, I pay 3.59 per jar but on amazon if you order 6 jars it is cheaper. If you have to look on amazon though get out your calculator and do the math to get the best price.

If you cannot find it on amazon (sometimes it is not available) or if you cannot find it in your local grocery I will be more than happy to send you some (my treat) and I promise I will not sell your address, give it away to anyone, keep it in my files or use it for anything but this one time to send you the cheese.
Awww! That is so sweet of you. I will look for it at my local stores first. Harris Teeter is a an upscale store so I bet they probably have it. I will be doing my grocery shopping tomorrow. Two 6 ounce jars don't seem to be enough but I bow to your expertise. Also, I would have never thought to add chicken stock. My mom adds it to lots of things and I am always surprised when she tells me it's in something.

Thank you! Thank you! I will probably try this next week.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:31 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,280,390 times
Try adding a spoonful of yellow mustard, and a good amount of lemon pepper and dill as your spices.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:33 AM

I found it. Not at HT but at another grocery store. (Lowes Foods) They have online shopping and I just pulled up their website..... $4.39 for a 5 oz jar. Amazon is cheaper with 6 jars for $17.58 with no shipping charge with Prime (which I have). That's a little less that $3.00 a jar.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet*Tea View Post
I found it. Not at HT but at another grocery store. (Lowes Foods) They have online shopping and I just pulled up their website. $4.39 for a 5 oz jar. Amazon is cheaper. 6 jars for $17.58 with no shipping charge with Prime (which I have). That's a little less that $3.00 a jar.

Does that one have subscribe and save? If it does it can take the cost down to about $2.30 - $2.50 per jar. We had that for a while but I stopped it when I had 24 jars sitting in the pantry but I will probably start it again in October thru Easter.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Does that one have subscribe and save? If it does it can take the cost down to about $2.30 - $2.50 per jar. We had that for a while but I stopped it when I had 24 jars sitting in the pantry but I will probably start it again in October thru Easter.
Ya know, I just went back and looked at it again and I was wrong. It's $17.58 (for 6 jars) with subscribe and save and $18.51 for a one time purchase with Prime. Still, it's much cheaper than my local grocery store.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:52 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,915,505 times
I always cool the pasta before I put the dressing on it, and I add a little bit of olive oil to the pasta. I don't like it with just mayo, so I use half mayo and half sour cream. I usually add ranch dressing mix to it (using ranch dressing is not the same). I'm eating lower-carb now so I replace half the pasta with cooked cauliflower, cut small, and it blends perfectly.

Here's the recipe I usually use:

8 oz pasta, cooked and drained, rinsed until cool, tossed with 1 tbsp olive oil
1 can Le Sueur peas, drained
1 carrot, grated finely
1 bunch green onions, chopped small
1 regular-size (about 2 oz) package real bacon bits
1 cup mozzarella (you can sub cheddar)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayo
2 tbsp powdered ranch dressing mix
1 tsp onion powder

Mix sour cream and mayo, add ranch mix and onion powder, stir well. Add bacon, carrot, green onions and mozzarella and stir. Add pasta and stir until coated. Gently stir in the peas.

My kids like to put the pasta in a salad spinner to get all the water out, then drizzle the olive oil over it and spin it some more. I usually just drain the pasta in a colander and add the oil to it while it's in the colander. It comes out the same either way.

Here's my mac and cheese recipe too

8 oz pasta, cooked and drained well (stir a few times in the colander to get the water all out)

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard (or a couple tsp of prepared mustard if you're out of dry)
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups sharp cheddar

Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter in skillet, add flour. Cook until bubbly, then add milk and seasonings. Stir until it boils, mashing any lumps with the spatula. Once it boils and thickens, remove from heat and add cheddar. Stir until melted. Stir in pasta. Spray casserole dish with nonstick spray, then put the macaroni in and bake for 25 or 30 minutes, until it's bubbly and the top is golden brown in a few places.

And alfredo pasta:

8 oz pasta, cooked and drained

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 tbsp minced garlic (or less if you prefer)
2 cups milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cup parmesan cheese

Melt butter in skillet, cook garlic for a minute or two but don't let it get really dark. Add flour, cook until bubbly. Add milk and seasonings and stir until it boils, mashing any flour lumps with the spatula. Once it boils, turn off the heat and add the parmesan, then the noodles.

You can also cook some diced boneless chicken breast in the butter and garlic, then add the flour and make the sauce, that works fine too. I have substituted 1 cup sour cream for 1 cup of the milk but that makes a very rich and thick sauce.

I can't eat any of these things anymore (can't have all the carbs), all I can do is talk about them. But they were delicious when I could still eat them. I made the pasta salad on Mother's day with cauliflower instead of part of the pasta so that I could eat it and it was delicious. My kids couldn't tell that there was cauliflower in it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes