Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2017, 06:46 PM

497 posts, read 387,955 times

Advertisements

I love this hot dish! It's so easy to make, and all you need is one skillet to make it.

Easy Mexican Skillet

1 lb.*bulk pork sausage (See *Note)
1/2 cup chopped onion (I prefer to dice them)
1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers (I prefer to dice them)
1-1/2 cups uncooked rotini noodles (about 5 ounces)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt (See *Note)
black pepper, sprinkle in desired amount
1 teaspoon chili powder (I always add 1/2 teaspoons)
1 (14.5 oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes, cut-up (See *Note)
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
2/3 cup sour cream
Kraft Gated Parmesan Cheese (in the green bottle) sprinkle on desired amount

In a large, deep skillet (I use my chicken fryer),*lightly brown the sausage; drain off any excess fat.

Add the onion and green peppers to the skillet, cook until vegetables are tender (about 7 minutes); stirring frequently.

Stir in the noodles, sugar, salt, pepper, chili powder, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. (When it came to adding the pepper, I sprinkled in Lawry's Seasoned Black Pepper instead.)

Let the mixture come to a boil (but not a full boil), then reduce the heat to a low simmer.

Cover the skillet, and gently simmer for 20 minutes; stirring occasionally.

Stir in the sour cream, and heat through for a few minutes longer.

When serving, sprinkle desired amount of grated parmesan cheese on top of each plate.

Yields: About 5 servings.

*Note: Bulk sausage is ground pork sausage which contains spices such as, salt, pepper, ground sage, and possibly other spices, plus it contains garlic. When I make this 'hot dish', I use ground pork sausage which our family has made and seasoned it ourselves. We add fresh garlic and onion to it, and season it with salt, coarse black pepper, and ground sage. I do omit the salt in the recipe above,*but I*still add the black pepper and onions. Also, for this recipe, you can substitute canned stewed tomatoes for the canned whole, peeled tomatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 10:08 PM

The amount chili powder that I add in the recipe should read 1-1/2 teaspoons.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:14 PM

I'm deleting this post, as it was an error.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:53 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Parmigiano cheese in Mexican food? I think not.

I don't think the pork sausage works either.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:50 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

It looks like a fancy version of the Midwestern goulash dish that is not like the Hungarian dish.

I remember seeing this recipe many years ago, at a time when the use of chili powder qualified it to be called Mexican.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Jkgourmet, have you made this recipe? If so, the pork sausage may not be to your liking (nor the parmesan cheese), but our family enjoys it. The parmesan cheese and pork sausage is what we like in this dish, and I guess that's all that matters. To each is own I guess!

Old 03-10-2017, 08:24 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DomesticGoddess View Post
Jkgourmet, have you made this recipe? If so, the pork sausage may not be to your liking (nor the parmesan cheese), but our family enjoys it. The parmesan cheese and pork sausage is what we like in this dish, and I guess that's all that matters. To each is own I guess!
Actually, the recipe sounds good. But definitely NOT Mexican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes